• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Weekend

rebel-patriot

imported post

OK everyone.. I am guaging interest here. If there is enough interest I will organize an event with enough advance notice so anyone interested will have time to adjust their schedules and attend.

Here is what I am thinking..
We have a camping and fishing weekend at a state park and OC the entire weekend.

If there is enough interest I will contact the state parks and find a good location where we can accomplish this and organize activities for the day and evening.

You can expect to have to pay for at least the camping fees at the state parks. Possibly a day fee if not camping.

Let me know folks.. if there is interest or not.

Reb

77zach

imported post

I don't like camping (I grew up inside playing video games), but if a bunch of people signed up I'd come.

Your idea does bring up an interesting point. If there were a crowded place that allows OC, (i.e., exceptions to 790.053), that would be interesting indeed. Where is a place that has a lot of trails to hike with a lot of traffic on them? The only places we can get any exposure to people who aren't on our mission.

I was on the silver river, in the silver river state park this summer, and there were trails alongside the river, picnic tables, etc, and it was very crowded. Come to think of it, I think there are several locations in ocala national forest where I could open carry.

I don't know anyone who has ever oc'd a pistol while hiking in FL.

glock4me

imported post

I too may attend. It just depends on when and where. I am in the tampa area also. I sure hope we dont get arrested
rofl.gif

hammer6

imported post

Glock23-4-Me wrote:
I too may attend. It just depends on when and where. I am in the tampa area also. I sure hope we dont get arrested
rofl.gif

can't while camping

glock4me

imported post

hammer6 wrote:
Glock23-4-Me wrote:
rofl.gif

can't while camping

I know thats what the law says, but not every leo knows the law. The law also says you can OC on the way to and from camping but if you were to stop by walmart on the way to the campground to get supplies, although within the letter of the law, do you honestly think leo would not arrest you. I am just being a realist. Again, I know the law says you can and you will beat the wrap, but you wont beat the ride.

rebel-patriot

imported post

Glock23-4-Me wrote:
hammer6 wrote:
Glock23-4-Me wrote:
rofl.gif

can't while camping

I know thats what the law says, but not every leo knows the law. The law also says you can OC on the way to and from camping but if you were to stop by walmart on the way to the campground to get supplies, although within the letter of the law, do you honestly think leo would not arrest you. I am just being a realist. Again, I know the law says you can and you will beat the wrap, but you wont beat the ride.
Very pragmatic point of view. I tend to agree. While I was holding this card closer to the vest, I fully intend on contacting and arranging at least counsel to be available if not present. I was simply trying to gauge the interest with this thread.

Given the interest of at least a few people, I will start working on logistics and keep everyone updated.

Reb
American by birth, Southern by choice

hammer6

imported post

Glock23-4-Me wrote:
hammer6 wrote:
Glock23-4-Me wrote:
rofl.gif

can't while camping

i've actually been wanting to test that letter of the law...because it says open carry is permitted to and from going to the shooting range...but yeah what if i stop to get gas? or stop to buy a drink? or food?? exactly.....that's why florida just needs open carry period. haha

ADulay

imported post

All,

It would appear that if we actually do go ahead with this OC meeting at a "camp site" that we have a point of contact who will scout the area ahead of time and besides finding a good location for the event, that they will contact the local "controlling authority" and ask some questions. One would think we could head off problems by checking ahead and seeing how the sheriff's office or local police department will handle a group of 10 or so "campers" with open carried weapons.

If you just kind of show up and drop on their doorstep, it might really shock some of these local guys into unneeded harrassment or worse. Legal or not, a lot of these guys spook pretty easily and a radio call that starts "a group of men with guns" is at the XYZ campground will not go over well.

So, let's find a place and make the local contact and it should flow pretty nicely from there.

I haven't camped since Viet-Nam, where I got all the camping I could ever want but I will be at the camp site all day for the meeting.

AD

rebel-patriot

imported post

The first bump in the road to an OC Weekend.

In beginning to scout out places for an event I decided to begin by looking at Florida State Parks. I found that "alcholic beverages and firearms are prohibited" at ALL Florida State Parks.

So needless to say I will be scouting other venues for this effort. But I find it interesting that Florida law allows me to legally open carry while camping, hunting, fishing etc yet a division of the Florida State government disallows this for those activities.

This is another issue that needs to be addressed with our state legislatures and am placing it on the list of action items.

Reb
American by birth, Southern by choice.

rebel-patriot

imported post

77zach wrote:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

790.25 allows for carry in state parks, state/national forests and wildlife management areas.
Part of my nature is not to believe anything I find on the Internet unless I can verify it otherwise. I went to the Florida Statutes themselves:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...tm&StatuteYear=2009&Title=->2009->Chapter 790

and found nothing in 790.25 which stated anything about state parks, lands, etc as being legal to carry other than other than section (h) as reads below:
[size="-1"](h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

Perhaps this site you referenced has outdated information. I do not know. But the current regulations do not appear to address this issue.

On a brighter note, it appears that there is a letter in Va regarding this topic. Go to the Virginia page and click the link to read the attorney generals opinion regarding this topic in VA... my wheels are already clicking zack..

also.. please see the other thread and let me know if you are available for an irc chat meeting to form a florida OC group.

Reb
American by birth, Southern by Choice
[/size]

77zach

imported post

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/possession.html

http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4791

the law allowing carry took there took effect in october of 06. I got my CCW in september, and the sheriff doing the "safety class" said that next month you could carry in those places IF you had a CCW. I remember reading an article about it after it took effect in the orlando sentinel about how little children were going to be mowed down and the world would end.

Looks like most parks still haven't changed the signs though.

77zach

imported post

I guess it doesn't matter though, you are correct. Even if we all have permits, we have to conceal. Nice little contradiction they have in the laws.

glock4me

imported post

why not just have the camping trip in a county park? Are there county parks that have camping or are they only state parks. You can OC in a county park if you were camping. The law just seems to apply to state parks

fridaddy

imported post

There used to be a restriction on carrying in parks and national forest in FL even with a CCW. That law was repealed in 2006.

As far as any current administrative regulations, they are invalid under the preemption statute.

Call the state park service. Ask them whether you are allowed to carry in a state park. Get names of folks you talk to and let us know the results.

THIS POST IS FOR PURPOSE OF DISCUSSION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS INTENDED OR IMPLIED.

rebel-patriot

imported post

fridaddy wrote:
Call the state park service. Ask them whether you are allowed to carry in a state park. Get names of folks you talk to and let us know the results.

THIS POST IS FOR PURPOSE OF DISCUSSION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS INTENDED OR IMPLIED.
Actually that is on my list of things to get done this week. I wanted to get it done today but real life took precedence.

Reb
American by birth, Southern by choice.