• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOL

sudden valley gunner

imported post

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTguanBn-1-1.jpg

Went to renew license today, saw this sign on front door, went grabbed a pamphlet just in case and went in. Lady sitting next to me asked how she applies to get a permit to carry, I told her there is no need for a permit ended up giving her the pamphlet.

Noticed it was a while for my number to be up so I went outside to make a phone call, and overheard a man outside back turned to me talking on the phone....

"Um, yea well he's just sitting there........"
"No it's in a holster.............."
"Well he seems fine ........."
"No it's in a holster.....well I don't know...."

Then he turns around and see's me, hurriedly...."oh um no he is fine, no I don't want to, I gotta go bye"

Me," Excuse me where you just talking about me?"
Him,"yea"
Me, " I have some information about it if you are interested"
Him, " No, it's um ...um...highly unique."

Was there for another 1/2 hr, and no police showed.

grishnav

imported post

Any idea which police dispatch it was?

Also, please re-size the photo so it doesn't mess up the forum formatting. If you need help with this, PM me.

Aaron1124

imported post

Can't State Agencies make their own rules and regulations?

From what I remember, the preemption statute only applies to cities and counties, not state agencies.

Except that their sign has absolutely nothing to do with the RCW that it is referencing.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wonder if this is a result of my letter to the director of the Department of Licencing asking about their policy after I was expelled from the Smokey Point office.

I have still not received a response.

1245A Defender

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
Can't State Agencies make their own rules and regulations?

From what I remember, the preemption statute only applies to cities and counties, not state agencies.

Except that their sign has absolutely nothing to do with the RCW that it is referencing.
If they do make their own rules and regulations, they must be published as WACs. If the DOL was going to ban firearms, they would have to do so in the WACs the same way that state universities do. The sign would have to reflect a WAC and not the erroneous reference to an RCW which has nothing to do with it.

i dont understand why all the malls, the stores, state angencies, libraries ETC!

put up signs that boldly pronounce; "ILLEGAL WEAPONS NOT ALLOWED!"

those stupid words would at least keep the law abiding gang bangers out!

Kildars

imported post

Uhh...

9.41.270 States:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

How does this apply?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I am going to say I had no problems with any of the employees who worked there. Actually I had no problems at all just overheard bits and parts of a one sided phone conversation, that he confirmed was about me.

I don't like the sign though it gives people the wrong impression.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

My blackberry post didn't go through, spent most the morning at the same DOL this morning. No problems from the staff at all, surprisingly friendly and helpful, governmentally slow but seemed like a great staff not one word mentioned about my sidearm, and some great advice about showing up tomorrow for Motorcycle endorsement driving test, even though I am not scheduled until the 26th. Also that the course is permanently painted in the DHS parking lot and I can go practice it if I want.

So I spent the day enjoying this awesome weather open carrying while riding my motorcycle. Couple of double takes from other drivers, passed a few sheriff's no problems.

Great letter NavyLt. I look forward to the results, because although I had no problems with the staff, there was a lady kinda freaking out, and a lot of overheard discussion about why I was carrying even though there was a sign bannning it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I agree.

I went on standby to take the motorcycle drive test, hot day t-shirt open carrying, passed 100% yea!! Instructor said nothing, told me to go inside and take my number and get my license. Again no problems other than a few wide eyes from other patrons.

heresolong

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I agree.

I went on standby to take the motorcycle drive test, hot day t-shirt open carrying, passed 100% yea!! Instructor said nothing, told me to go inside and take my number and get my license. Again no problems other than a few wide eyes from other patrons.
Congrats on the license. We are headed down to the ABATE fall motorcycle swap meet tomorrow. It is in Enumclaw, so a bit of a ride, therefore we are leaving B'ham at 7 in the am. If you or anyone else is interested give me a call at 360-739-9308 or just show up at the Fairhaven Food Pavilion (south side of Bellingham at the Fairhaven exit) and we can ride down together. I won't be staying more than a couple hours then headed back if you don't want to be gone all day.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Should I get an R1 as my first bike? I got a .45 as my first gun ;)

Not a valid comparison. Getting an R1 as your first bike is like getting a .500 S&W as your first gun.

:what:

Kildars

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Kildars wrote:
Should I get an R1 as my first bike? I got a .45 as my first gun ;)

Not a valid comparison. Getting an R1 as your first bike is like getting a .500 S&W as your first gun.

:what:

Well I'm debating it -- I know there is a lot of opposition. Most of the oppositions hinges on the point that people are not responsible with the R1. They do not have the maturity to handle such a power machine and will push it too far -- to fast.

My best friend, who has been riding for three years, started on R1. He's never been down. I think it has more to do with the riders maturity versus the bike.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Glad everything worked out for you SVG! Perfect days for riding this weekend! Was their ingnorance still on display in the form of the sign?
Yep sign is still up confusing people as I walk right past it, you should see the double takes and the hushed conversations.

Anyway took Heresolong's offer to ride with his group down to the ABATE show, although Heresolong didn't make it it was the most fun I had in a long time, great group of guys to ride with. Hope they didn't mind me tagging along. I look forward to the oyster run.

I open carried down and back up, t-shirt all the way back up, no problems and loads of fun.

FMCDH

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Glad everything worked out for you SVG! Perfect days for riding this weekend! Was their ingnorance still on display in the form of the sign?
Yep sign is still up confusing people as I walk right past it, you should see the double takes and the hushed conversations.

Anyway took Heresolong's offer to ride with his group down to the ABATE show, although Heresolong didn't make it it was the most fun I had in a long time, great group of guys to ride with. Hope they didn't mind me tagging along. I look forward to the oyster run.

I open carried down and back up, t-shirt all the way back up, no problems and loads of fun.
Simple answer to anyone who asks or gripes.

"O, that sign? Yea, no problem, I'm in compliance."

If your feeling a bit punchy, you can add....

"Why, didn't you read it?" ;) (or variants thereof)