• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dickson city lawsuit--what has become of it?

codename_47

imported post

I hate to blame the victims here, but they pretty much screwed themselves by being weak during the encounter. Unfortunately, such is often the case when people are weak.

You should never, ever have this "well, I thought I wasn't free to go...vs well I just asked them to accompany me...I never said they had to" stuff. I don't know how else to say it, but SACK UP. You can't be weak. You can't be afraid to force a confrontation, otherwise the cop will get off with "but I just asked him and he complied"

"Can we talk over here for a minute..."

"No, leave me alone, my food is getting cold"

" I need you to step over here with me..."

"I need you to go back to your car and eat a donut. Quit bothering me"

"Sir, you need to come with me."

"Actually I don't need to do anything but pay my taxes and die. Go away"

There should never, and I mean ever be any dispute as to if the encounter is consensual or not. This case illustrates why.

Deanimator

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
I hate to blame the victims here, but they pretty much screwed themselves by being weak during the encounter. Unfortunately, such is often the case when people are weak.

You should never, ever have this "well, I thought I wasn't free to go...vs well I just asked them to accompany me...I never said they had to" stuff. I don't know how else to say it, but SACK UP. You can't be weak. You can't be afraid to force a confrontation, otherwise the cop will get off with "but I just asked him and he complied"

"Can we talk over here for a minute..."

"No, leave me alone, my food is getting cold"

" I need you to step over here with me..."

"I need you to go back to your car and eat a donut. Quit bothering me"

"Sir, you need to come with me."

"Actually I don't need to do anything but pay my taxes and die. Go away"

There should never, and I mean ever be any dispute as to if the encounter is consensual or not. This case illustrates why.
You are unfortunately correct. I carry a voice recorder wherever I go. No consent or even knowledge is required in Ohio, so long as you're a party to the conversation.

"Officer, am I free to leave? No? I have nothing to say without a lawyer present."

If he demands that I do something which he has no legal authority to demand, be it to show ID when I'm not carrying concealed or driving, or to stop recording, I will refuse. It's BETTER for me to be FALSELY arrested. That gives me real damages and an unambiguous act by the cop. I'm willing to be falsely arrested if he's willing to get sued and lose. It's NOT that hard of a job and if he can't do it without committing crimes or civil torts, I'll cheerfully bend him over the desk for his trouble.

I may not be able to beat the ride, but he won't beat the civil suit, judgment and wage garnishments.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
On 7/6/2010 Karen Gallagher filed for Bankruptcy. This placed an "automatic stay" on the proceedings in this case in which she is a defendant. This week the plaintiff's attorney has filed paperwork with the Bankruptcy Court seeking this stay be lifted.