• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in my glove box here?

Skippy

imported post

Yes. Indiana recognizes all other State and Country carry permits. Indiana has no open/concealed laws and makes no distinction about where you have the handgun inside your vehicle.

ETA: This is assuming you actually have a carry permit. ALL carry (with three very narrow exceptions) in Indiana requires a carry permit.

Skippy

imported post

You must be an Indiana resident to apply for an Indiana license to carry handgun (LTCH). There is no Indiana non-resident permit. However, since Indiana recognizes all other permits, you can get a resident permit from KY or a non-res permit from any other state where you are eligible (such as the Utah or Florida permits, which are also good in many other states).

Skippy

imported post

Nope, sorry. ALL carry in Indiana requires a license. There are three narrow exceptions but none apply to you.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Skippy wrote:
You must be an Indiana resident to apply for an Indiana license to carry handgun (LTCH). There is no Indiana non-resident permit.
Actually, there is a provision in the code which Fisheater would meet:

IC 35-47-2-3
Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
(1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
(2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
(3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

junglebob

imported post

Maybe someone could post the Indiana transportation requirements. Please quote the statute and not what some LEO told you, please. I take it loaded in the glove box isn't allowed without a permit as it is in Kentucky. How about unloaded (no round in chamber) in a case with a loaded magazine as is allowed in Illinois for those with Firearm Owner ID (FOID) cards. I know what is considered "loaded" varies from state to state.

Skippy

imported post

Here is the complete IC, but the relevant part is this (emphasis mine):
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/index.html

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
(b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

The IC doesn't specify anything about it being broken down or separate from the ammo. Note that there are three narrow exceptions to unlicensed carry, but those are to get the gun home from a gunsmith or from a place of purchase and not for general daily transportation.

junglebob

imported post

Skippy wrote:
Here is the complete IC, but the relevant part is this (emphasis mine):
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/index.html

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
(b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

The IC doesn't specify anything about it being broken down or separate from the ammo. Note that there are three narrow exceptions to unlicensed carry, but those are to get the gun home from a gunsmith or from a place of purchase and not for general daily transportation.

This really surprises me. So Indiana is stricter on transportation than Illinois and it can only be between your home and a gunsmith or gun shop after purchase. In Illinois I can transport my handgun to most places, some exceptions of course like court houses, schools and places that serve alcohol.

I did open carry through Indiana this week monday and tuesday night. I made a few stops for gas, paying inside and buying snacks and at McDonalds. If anyone noticed they didn't comment, not even at the motel I stayed at.

Skippy

imported post

This really surprises me. So Indiana is stricter on transportation than Illinois and it can only be between your home and a gunsmith or gun shop after purchase. In Illinois I can transport my handgun to most places, some exceptions of course like court houses, schools and places that serve alcohol.
Yeah, seems kind of backwards to me. On the other hand, if you have any carry license from any state or country, Indiana's gun laws are some of the most permissive in the U.S. We've even got a lifetime carry license so you don't have to keep renewing every four years.

The restrictions only apply to unlicensed carry.