• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com - Madtown PD asks officers: Did you get the memo?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Please CLICK, DIGG, and REDDIT:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m9d11-Madtown-PD-asks-officers--Did-you-get-the-memo#comments

SNIP

This multi-year near-comedic chain of communication, from AAG Kassel’s “honest your honors, you can open carry on State Street,” to the current game of “memo, memo, who’s got the memo” down at Madtown PD got me thinking . . . so I made ANOTHER open records request under Wisconsin law, this time for any video discussions of these internal police discussions about “the memo,” and low and behold, they sent me this, a videotaped “counseling session” between Madison’s own Captain Victor Wahl and the officer who arrested Travis Yates in Madison recently . . .

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

From the article:

"...open carry obviously can and should prompt contact with the individual(s) carrying..."?

And JUST WHY IS THAT??????

(my emphasis above)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BB62 wrote:
From the article:

"...open carry obviously can and should prompt contact with the individual(s) carrying..."?

(my emphasis above)
This is from the email they Madison PD sent to officers, which they provided to me pursuant to my open records request.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
BB62 wrote:
From the article:

(my emphasis above)
This is from the email they Madison PD sent to officers, which they provided to me pursuant to my open records request.
Yes, I should have made that clear. It wasa poor quote on my part. My apologies.

I just did a cut and paste from my comment to the article.

What I should have said was "From the article (quoting the Madison PD e-mail):"

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

BB62 wrote:
From the article:

(my emphasis above)
"So the repeated harassment of open carriers discourages them from OCing ever again, obviously! If we can't ban the RKBA, we can at least put those who carry through hell every time they leave their homes!"

:banghead:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
BB62 wrote:
From the article:

(my emphasis above)
"So the repeated harassment of open carriers discourages them from OCing ever again, obviously! If we can't ban the RKBA, we can at least put those who carry through hell every time they leave their homes!"

:banghead:
When has pushing American Gun Owners around ever had that result?

Some people never learn. Being a tyrant just focuses The Watchers' gaze.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Someone should send them a copy of Federal Judge Black's ruling against any detention of open carriers simply because they're carrying.

I like the fact that "over the last several years open carriers detained without cause by police have sued and obtained cash settlements in Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Virginia (see additional settlement here), and Georgia. More cases are still pending in Ohio , Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania."

I wonder how much it will cost that police department should one of the harassed and or illegally-detained open carriers decides to sue them? $1 Million? $10 Million?