• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa holsters on sale for $34.99

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

like that spd officer who drew his glock and shot it down at the grocery store a while back in the valley

David.Car

imported post

HankT wrote:
However, other potential problems are mentioned in the thread, including:

• difficulty in drawing under stress
  • unintentional discharges
Both of those problems are derived from lack of training with the gear. The holster is designed to function with a normal draw movement that results in your trigger finger laying flat against the frame above the trigger area.

Out of hundreds and hundreds of draws my finger has never once come close to going onto the trigger.

David.Car

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
like that spd officer who drew his glock and shot it down at the grocery store a while back in the valley
Don't remember that one... Last one I remember was the officer who shot himself in the leg with his brand new glock when he tried to holster it with his finger still on the trigger. (The man had 17 years experience on the job too).

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

David.Car wrote:
HankT wrote:
However, other potential problems are mentioned in the thread, including:

• difficulty in drawing under stress
  • unintentional discharges
Both of those problems are derived from lack of training with the gear. The holster is designed to function with a normal draw movement that results in your trigger finger laying flat against the frame above the trigger area.

So, uhm, how much training does your regular ole average non-LEO get when he gets his new Serpa? What would you estimate, D.C?

As much as LEOs or others in some type of professional service?

More? Less?
39.gif

heresolong

imported post

HankT wrote:
So, uhm, how much training does your regular ole average non-LEO get when he gets his new Serpa? What would you estimate, D.C?

More? Less?
39.gif
I practice drawing and reholstering using an eight step method for the tactical draw. I do this with an unloaded pistol and an empty magazine in the chamber to allow trigger pull on mine without damaging the action. I do this at least very couple weeks or so and I generally run about fifteen drills each time. I would hope that LEOs are doing the same thing on at least as regular a basis.

David.Car

imported post

HankT wrote:

More? Less?
39.gif

First off I don't think the Serpa CQC (the one we have been discussing) should ever be used as a uniformed LEO duty holster. It is not marketed as a duty holster, and should not be expected to perform at the same level. Blackhawk makes a Serpa duty holster if you wanted to go for that.

The Serpa CQC is intended for concealed carry/plain clothes officers as well as carrying in a less stressful demeanor (read civilian who is not having to be around criminals all day)

Secondly, as far as training. I would hope that any LEO would make sure they had the proper instruction and practice time with ALL their equipment for the sake of their own and the publics safety.

As a construction worker you would make damn sure you knew how to work your power tools. As a teacher you would make sure you knew the information in the text books. As a cop you BETTER make sure you know how your gear works, because yours and other peoples lives will depend on it.

And as far as an individual who intends to Open Carry. I like to think that as a very reasonable group of people (who have the lowest crime percentages in the nation) that have thoroughly thought out the need to protect themselves and their family, individuals have a tendency to make sure they are able to operate their gear. A lot of this has to do with the fact that we also enjoy firearms on a recreational level as well so we tend to ENJOY practicing and training.

Besides. The Serpa CQC has a lower required training level then a ton of other holsters out there (see level 3, 4, and 5 holsters with hood flips and special canting positions).

If you haven't checked one out, go to a store that carries them and give it a test. They are incredibly simple and very well designes as far as ease of draw.