• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through campus

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I AM a student at ODU. Please read the firearms policy for ODU and let me know what your interpretation is. I would just be carrying in my car going through campus on a public street. I don't think that would be considered campus correct? I'm not parking my car on campus either so I think that it would be ok for me to transport it on a public street as long as I don't go on campus. Campus is defined in the policy. Here is also a map.

http://www.odu.edu/ao/facultyhandbook/index.php?page=ch06s18.html

campus_map.gif

I live on the right end of the map.

I realize that no one is a lawyer and advice will not be taken as such.;) This is all purely opinions so that I can get a better understanding of what I'm looking at here.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You don't seem to fit any of the categories they list. I'd say if you wanted to walk around your neighborhood there is nothing they could do about it.

Remember, I am not an attorney, and I am not your attorney.

stay safe.

skidmark

darthmord

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Please read the firearms policy for ODU and let me know what your interpretation is. I would just be carrying in my car going through campus on a public street. I don't think that would be considered campus correct? I'm not parking my car on campus either so I think that it would be ok for me to transport it on a public street as long as I don't go on campus. Campus is defined in the policy. Here is also a map.

http://www.odu.edu/ao/facultyhandbook/index.php?page=ch06s18.html

Well...

Staying on the streets means you are on public property. ODU doesn't own the streets. I would think this also applies to the public access portions as well such as any sidewalks made for use along the streets.

The ket wording that neuters their policy...

'This policy regulates use of privately owned firearms, and prohibits firearms, related devices and weapons on campus to the extent permitted by law.'

What does VA Code state with regards to ODU? Last I had read through there (not in the entirety mind you), nothing was mentioned about ODU. Does ODU receive public funding via the Commonwealth? If so, there are strings to it. Such as respecting the laws that bind the State.

I've seen others state it's perfectly fine for ODU to restrict firearms for employees (teachers & staff) as well as students. I'd have to question that to some extent as if they are receiving money from John Q. Public via the Commonwealth, they are required to follow certain rules (like not infringing on one's rights).

Now if ODU is a private college / university that does NOT accept any funds from the state, then you are up to their tender mercies.

Likewise, if they have a special exemption written into law allowing them to regulate firearms so, then they can get away with it.

Bear in mind, the above is my $0.02 and you'll want to talk with other legal beagles who have a LOT more experience in this than I do. My primary concern with ODU is what they can do to me as a citizen who is NOT an instructor, staff, or student of theirs (answer: not much).

wylde007

imported post

If you are a student then you are bound to the student policy agreement. If you are not, they may only restrict you, by "policy" from entering into any school-owned building.

ODU is a "public" university in the same sense that Va Tech, UVA and Longwood are. They receive some state funding for curriculum, development and operations, AFAIK.

Unlike, say, Ferrum, William & Mary or Virginia Wesleyan, which are private.

I have done a substantial amount of engineering and surveying work on and around the ODU campus and I can say without any reservation that the streets and [most] thoroughfares are public in that they are owned and maintained by the City of Norfolk.

I hope that helps. This will be a continuing curiosity for me as I am being considered for an adjunct position for the Spring 2010 semester.

TFred

imported post

Their "paragraph 5" is rather amusing. Although the policy says Paragraph 6 applies to "everyone", I suspect they really mean this one:

When firearms are carried on campus as permitted by this policy, they shall be carried with the muzzle angled up or down so as to avoid pointing the firearm at oneself, or any other person. All firearms, including those permitted to be concealed, having a safety shall have the safety in the “on” position. All semi-automatic firearms shall be carried with an empty breech or firing chamber. All revolvers shall be carried with an empty chamber to the immediate left or right of the barrel, depending on whether the cylinder turns clockwise or counterclockwise, and the chamber under the hammer shall be empty as well, unless the revolver is hammerless. All shotguns and other firearms that break to be loaded shall be carried broken and unloaded.
Wow.

TFred

nova

imported post

TFred wrote:
Their "paragraph 5" is rather amusing. Although the policy says Paragraph 6 applies to "everyone", I suspect they really mean this one:

When firearms are carried on campus as permitted by this policy, they shall be carried with the muzzle angled up or down so as to avoid pointing the firearm at oneself, or any other person. All firearms, including those permitted to be concealed, having a safety shall have the safety in the “on” position. All semi-automatic firearms shall be carried with an empty breech or firing chamber. All revolvers shall be carried with an empty chamber to the immediate left or right of the barrel, depending on whether the cylinder turns clockwise or counterclockwise, and the chamber under the hammer shall be empty as well, unless the revolver is hammerless. All shotguns and other firearms that break to be loaded shall be carried broken and unloaded.
Wow.

TFred
I would love to see them enforce that one against me.

Thundar

imported post

Carry as you please on Norfolk Public Streets. You are worth it. The ODU area really is not safe after dark.

You now have a dilemma for campus carry. Do it and you will be expelled. Don't do it and you may be a victims that cannot even fight back.

Maybe what we need is an evening open carry stroll around the ODU campus on the public streets.

Hand out pamphlets and tell students about the disservice that their wrongheaded policies create.

TFred

imported post

Ideological issues aside... This text just reveals plain ignorance. Unless you are carrying a very, very old gun, there is no safety issue with carrying a loaded chamber under the hammer in a modern revolver.

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
Ideological issues aside... This text just reveals plain ignorance. Unless you are carrying a very, very old gun, there is no safety issue with carrying a loaded chamber under the hammer in a modern revolver.

TFred
Agreed....and imagine them wanting you to carry with 2 less rounds!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:
TFred wrote:

Wow.

TFred
Nope - preemption prevails IMO.

Locked & loaded - condition 1

Yata hey

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:
TFred wrote:

Wow.

TFred

"Excuse me Sir!! Which way does your cylinder rotate?!?"

:lol:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Whomever wrote that silly thing for ODU really has NO CLUE about the operation of modern semi-auto pistols and revolvers. Most semi-autos have firing pin blocks or some sort of safety that prevents the firing pin from striking a round's primer and revolvers have a similar system that prevents their firing pins from hitting a primer without a deliberate pull of the trigger.

Simplyfugginamazin... Why can't they ever get someone knowledgeable to write these things???

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I wouldn't open carry. (You said you wanted opinions and that is mine.) You might be right, but if you're a student a year or two from graduating do you want to be a student 2 or 4 years from graduating because you had to fight to be reinstated after a "misunderstanding" as to what constitutes public vs university property and therefore where student policy can be enforced?

I'd conceal and not talk about it much.

Also, FYI to wylde, W&M is completely public like the others you listed.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I wouldn't open carry. (You said you wanted opinions and that is mine.) You might be right, but if you're a student a year or two from graduating do you want to be a student 2 or 4 years from graduating because you had to fight to be reinstated after a "misunderstanding" as to what constitutes public vs university property and therefore where student policy can be enforced?

I'd conceal and not talk about it much.

Also, FYI to wylde, W&M is completely public like the others you listed.
I can't conceal till November 5th + 45 or so days. I am very careful if I OC to not go very close to campus. I usually just go around.

nova

imported post

DrMark wrote:
nova wrote:
TFred wrote:

Wow.

TFred

"Excuse me Sir!! Which way does your cylinder rotate?!?"

:lol:
"here let me show you" is the wrong answer I suppose :lol::what: