• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through campus

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Don't worry, their website can't change:

§ 23-40. Property transferred to College of William and Mary and owned by State.
All the real estate and personal property relating to the College of William and Mary in Virginia, in Williamsburg, or relating to the Richard Bland College in Petersburg now existing and standing in the name of the corporate body designated "The Colleges of William and Mary" and all real estate and personal property standing in the name of or heretofore exclusively used by the Virginia Institute of Marine Science shall be transferred to and be known and taken as standing in the name, and to be under the control of the corporate body designated "The College of William and Mary in Virginia." Such real estate and personal property shall be the property of the Commonwealth.
(Code 1919, § 936; 1960, c. 180; 1962, cc. 69, 610; 1976, c. 21; 1979, c. 294.)

§ 23-44. Rights, powers and duties of board in general.
The board of visitors shall be vested with all the rights and powers conferred by the provisions of this chapter and by the ancient royal charter of the College of William and Mary in Virginia, insofar as the same are not inconsistent with the provisions of this chapter and the general laws of the Commonwealth.

The board shall control and expend the funds of the colleges and any appropriation hereafter provided, and shall make all needful rules and regulations concerning the colleges, and generally direct the affairs of the colleges.
(Code 1919, §§ 935, 936; 1938, p. 444; 1944, p. 402; 1945, p. 52; 1960, c. 180.)

TFred

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Ric in Richmond wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
Unlike, say, Ferrum, William & Mary or Virginia Wesleyan, which are private.
William and Mary is Public.

Ric
Citation? I have a friend that goes there.
You know, I really don't mean to raz AbNo toooo much, but come on.... the verification of whether a major college is public or private doesn't exactly call for Woodward and Bernstein...

Now I know, and very much appreciate that it is well accepted here that posters should be able to provide references for things they post. But when Google can give you an answer inside of 30 seconds, the fact that you have to ask for a cite doesn't really help your image, if you know what I mean...

:p

TFred

AbNo

imported post

TFred wrote:
But when Google can give you an answer inside of 30 seconds, the fact that you have to ask for a cite doesn't really help your image, if you know what I mean...

:p

TFred

Citation? I have a friend that uses Google. :D

In seriousness, though, I've seen WAM listed as public and private, with nothing to back up either one.

I just wanted to lay it to rest.

TexasNative

imported post

Lay it to rest, then:

The College became a state-supported school in 1906...
And:

1906, March 5

By act of the General Assembly, all College property was transferred to the Commonwealth of Virginia. This transfer was sponsored by the College with a view toward increasing its resources. On March 8, the faculty accepted the provisions of the act, and on the following day it was approved by the Board of Visitors. A new board was appointed by the governor and 'vested with all rights and powers conferred by the provisions of this act and by the Ancient Royal Charter of the College.
~ Boyd