• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greenfield Gun Laws

MackattackMP21

imported post

Greenfield to consider gun citations
By Tom Kertscher of the Journal Sentinel
Sept. 11, 2009 4:06 p.m. | Greenfield — The Common Council on Tuesday will consider an ordinance that would allow police to write tickets to people who violate state gun laws.

Citations could be issued for, among other things, possession of firearms in public buildings, carrying a handgun where alcoholic beverages may be consumed and possession of a gun near schools.

The council's Legislative Committee voted, 2-1, last month to recommend adopting the ordinance. Ald. Tom Pietrowski voted no.

AaronS

imported post

I knew Tom was on our side.

Sounds like I have to take a trip back to Greenfield, again. Maybe this time a person who lives in the place will show up. Last time none from Greenfield even came. It was up to us "outsiders" to do all the talking...

Do we have a date for this meeting yet?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Ok, is the police department running the greenfield city council or what??? good grief.

Everything they are listing as a proposed ordinance is already illegal and can already be ticketed.

Some power-grabber in Greenfield is just incensed with the notion that people have a constitutional right to bear arms and they just want to pass SOMETHING.

Reminds me of the little pee wee in school that stands behind the big bully, repeats everything he says.

STATE LAW: "can't possess in a public building"

Greenfield "yeah... can't possess in a public building we write you a ticket"

unreal.... When is the next election? throw the police department puppets out.

AaronS

imported post

Okay, so I am going back to Greenfield, I beg any or all of you to come and help put Greenfields gun worrys to rest once and for all. I can say that it will not be as good a time as a cook out, but I think it is much more important. I am a very poor public speaker. Please come help me out!

As some of you might know, this is the second time that Greenfield has proposed a bill that is in direct violation of Statute 66.0409. We have to stop them, or this stuff will move to your back door a lot faster then you might think.

This time (unless anyone can think why not) I would like to hand out this web site. If the board saw what we are about, I am thinking the fight might just die out... Fear of vote loss? Am I way off on this?

Again, the last big meeting, the City of Greenfield had no pro 2A people in the room that were from Greenfield. Take a day off work if need be, this could be bad for us all. Find me a good burger place that does not serve beer, and I might stay a bit after for food.

Well, Tuesday September 15 at 7:00PM.

[align=center][size=5300 West Layton Avenue][/size][/b][size=][/size][/b][/align]
[align=center][size=Greenfield][/size][/b][size=, WI 53220][/size][/b][/align]
[align=center]:dude:The place to be at 7 pm Tuesday the 15th!!!:dude:[/align]
[align=left]:dude::dude::dude::dude:[/align]
[align=right][/align]
[align=right]Why do we never find out about this stuff untill the last few days.[/align]

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Why do we never find out about this stuff untill the last few days.

I've heard it referred to as the MUSHROOM AFFECT/EFFECT. The idea is tofeed the public sh%&t and keep us in the dark for as long as possible. Our electedofficials at all levels town, village, city, county, state, etc. get training (indoctrination) on how to control the public.

The MUSHROOM AFFECT / EFFECT

AaronS

imported post

I just got this letter, and on a weekend. Sounds good. I guess Linda is on board.

Good Morning Aaron,

I have an email in to our Police dept as I have the same questions, we have a state laws with regards to the area's they are discussing. I did not place this on the agenda our Director of parks and rec did and our city atty.

I removed my item after my last mtg when I was better informed by your group.

I will keep you posted when I can figure this one out for myself! As I'm puzzled!

Thanks,

Alderwoman Linda J. Lubotsky
City of Greenfield
7325 W. Forest Home Ave.
Greenfield, WI 53220
Office: (414) 329-5201
Home : (414) 282-5367
Fax : (414) 543-6158

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The more this kind of junkgets written in at the local level, the more pre-emption battles will have to take place in the future when state firearm laws are revised toremove or relax some of the current prohibitions.

Geoff

imported post

I'm not from greenfield, but will try to make it to the meeting. I have a battle to fight in Saukville (they ban posession of an assembled firearm) in the near future and would like to see how these meetings go.

Geoff

AaronS

imported post

Geoff wrote:
I'm not from greenfield, but will try to make it to the meeting. I have a battle to fight in Saukville (they ban posession of an assembled firearm) in the near future and would like to see how these meetings go.

Geoff

For the most part, it takes you an hour to drive, and you sit for an hour, and if the board lets us, we will each talk for about 5 min. The Greenfield board should let us all talk, they did the last time this came up. All 7 of us talked,nonefrom Greenfield.

The problem I am seeing now is that the lawyer for the city, is a bum, and needs replacement ASAP. He will not take the time to learn any State laws, but he has made the gun issue come up three times now. I am thinking his best friend in the world, is a Greenfield cop, and not any Greenfield people. If he goes unchecked, he will cost the people of Greenfield a lot of needed money, again...

So now we have Geoff, and he is also from out of town (as am I). Will any people from Greenfield not stand up and take control of your city? Do we "outsiders" have to do every thing for you? Do you people not want any rights? Do the members from Milwaukee not understand that what Greenfield does will come to our cityreal fast? Hey, public building sounds a lot like public street, maybe we should ban that, after all no people care...

I see a lot of our forum members like to talk a lot about the needed changes in our laws, but I do not think most of us will even try to make any change, if it meant that you would have to get off your a$$ and make a stand. A lot of you have gone to gun "party's", but will any of you EARN the right you think should be yours? If you live far, I can understand, but we have members from this city, and none were at the last meeting! NONE!!!

Now, Geoff has also brought up an impending new "must go to" meeting in Saukville. He will need our help again. Is this also to far for us to drive? Ya, I will be at that one too, but that is only two people so far (just like Greenfield I guess). Geoff and I will not be able to protect the rights of the full state of Wisconsin, with out YOU. We need YOUR help!!! We do not even have to pay any lawyer, just come and give your feelings on this issue. Does this not matter enough to be late with dinner for a night or two? Will this very real issue not get you all to start going to your local Government meetings? I have no job,very little cash, a wife that is starting to think I am nuts, and I was an a$$ hair away from going to Green Bay to help out with the (now dead) park ban law (150 miles for me). What was your reason for not supporting this? Hey Doug, did you go? I was told for a long time, that knowlage was power, but now I am older. I understand now, that knowlage only speeds up change, it is action thatbrings the change about in the first place. One, without the other, brings about nothing.

Please remember people, this is YOUR boat, and there is a hole in the bottom of it. If you want to see that the hole is fixed, you will have to fix the hole! Talk on the Internet, will not plug any hole. If this is all you have to offer (cheap talk on a web site), then your boat will be at the bottom of the lake in no time.

This is the kind of stuff that made America in the first place, I can only pray to God that we have not lost this idea... We the people, is you the people. The direction all this takes is your choice. You make this call...

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

+100

I said the same thing in another thread.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/30662.html

And it is more than just about candidates.

When I first joined this forum I was under the impression that if the members attended one of these city council meetings, that it would be in force.

I pictured a strong organized group who's state researchers would show up and cite the laws that protect our rights.

It is as though everyone is waiting for only certain individuals to take the lead.
Unless certain individuals take the lead on something then no one wants to participate.

Talk talk talk, there is a Hot wind Blowing through this forum. And that is all.

AaronS

imported post

Just got a mail from the City Mayor.

"Aaron,

We are not enacting "new" gun laws. We are creating an Ordinance to enforce the existing State Law. If the DA does not charge, we would be able to issue a municipal citation. You may or may not know that the Milwaukee County DA's Office often focuses on large crimes while letting the small ones fall by the wayside.

I am not in favor of creating any local rule or law that expands any existing State law regarding gun control or regulation--and never have been."...

Yea, sure Mr. Mayor.

Greenfield just wants the cash from the finefor a crime that never was? I think I get it. City permission for armed robbery...

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Just got a mail from the City Mayor.

"Aaron,

We are not enacting "new" gun laws. We are creating an Ordinance to enforce the existing State Law. If the DA does not charge, we would be able to issue a municipal citation. You may or may not know that the Milwaukee County DA's Office often focuses on large crimes while letting the small ones fall by the wayside.

I am not in favor of creating any local rule or law that expands any existing State law regarding gun control or regulation--and never have been."...

Yea, sure Mr. Mayor.

Greenfield just wants the cash from the finefor a crime that never was? I think I get it. City permission for armed robbery...
Aaron,
Maybe you should inform them of what happened down in Jericho, Arkansas when the police were handing out citations hand over fist........The Fire chief was shot in the back by one of their very own officers, in the court room no less!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090903/ap_on_re_us/us_shot_in_court

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As far as I know, I'm the only member here from Greenfield, and I'm at college 3 states away for the majority of the year. I sure hope you aren't talking about me when you mention people who throw parties but don't contribute to the effort of actually trying to change laws. If you are talking about me, I suggest you check out my youtube videos to see what I'm up to here in ND, as I surely walk just as much as I talk.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Yea, sure Mr. Mayor.

Did I miss something here?

They are just copying the existing state laws on the municiple level to get the procedes. Nearly every municipality does this, with almost any state law they can.

I don't see anything wierd here. They're not trying to pass anything more stringent right? I think I'd focus my energy elsewhere if what I think is the case.

AaronS

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
AaronS wrote:
Yea, sure Mr. Mayor.

They are just copying the existing state laws on the municiple level to get the procedes. Nearly every municipality does this, with almost any state law they can.

I don't see anything wierd here. They're not trying to pass anything more stringent right? I think I'd focus my energy elsewhere if what I think is the case.
If you were to walk into a school zone with a sidearm, you would have both a state fine to pay, as well as a local fine? Two fines for the price of one? With out any doubt in my mind, this is not just a money thing. It is just a start of laws to come. This is the senond time Greenfield has wanted a new gun law. I bet it is not the last.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
AaronS wrote:
Yea, sure Mr. Mayor.

If you were to walk into a school zone with a sidearm, you would have both a state fine to pay, as well as a local fine? Two fines for the price of one? With out any doubt in my mind, this is not just a money thing. It is just a start of laws to come. This is the senond time Greenfield has wanted a new gun law. I bet it is not the last.
Double Jeopardy, They will surely make you pay the local fine.

AaronS

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
AaronS wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
AaronS wrote:
Yea, sure Mr. Mayor.

Double Jeopardy, They will surely make you pay the local fine.
So under this, you are thinking that the State fines would not be requested form us? At this time, I guess this is my question. I just don't see the State not wanting the fine moneys. Will the two of them have to fight to see who gets to keep my cash? I don't understand this at all...

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

What I am saying is that if a City Police Officer issues you a Municipal citation and you pay the citation fine, then the state can not come along and give you a state fine for the same offense. That would be Double Jeopardy.

Now if the Officer did not cite you but referred you to the DA for Charges, then the state could request a fine at the state level. Of course you could always possibly argue that in court down to a municipal level fine.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.

AaronS

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
What I am saying is that if a City Police Officer issues you a Municipal citation and you pay the citation fine, then the state can not come along and give you a state fine for the same offense. That would be Double Jeopardy.

Now if the Officer did not cite you but referred you to the DA for Charges, then the state could request a fine at the state level. Of course you could always possibly argue that in court down to a municipal level fine.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.
I guess I should find out Tuesday night. I'll let you know what I find out.

AaronS

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:

See I guess I just do not understand the idea on this. Would this take away the State law when in Greenfield? Why would city want to have a copy of what is on the books? What would the Greenfield version do that the State version does not? I guess IANAL, and I just have a hard time understanding the want or need to copy a law. You could be correct, and I might just not "get it", I don't know...

Hey Doug, you got a grasp of this? Can ya put it into words I might understand please?;) Just talk real slow for me...