Thread: Question on Open Carry on a Motorcycle

Post imported post

I am traveling through Ohio coming from Georgia. Ohio does not accept GA CCW so I will have to open carry. However the law says no open carry in a vehicle.

Where do I stand being on a Motorcycle? Do I need to lock it up when riding and then put it on when I get off? Or does being out in the open on my Motorcycle allow me to open carry??

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Steve

Post imported post

You will need to secure your weapon. In Ohio, a motorcycle is equal to a car when it comes to gun laws. Also, make sure your unload your magazines, Ohio considers a loaded magazine anywhere in the vehicle as a loaded weapon.

Note: Some new laws when into effect recently, I could be wrong about the magazine part, they were working on that. A good place to find out would be at http://www.ohioccwforums.org/

Post imported post

The magazine law is still in effect.

Ohio does not allow the carry of a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle without a Concealed Handgun License, doesn't matter how concealed or in plain sight it might be. Ohio considers motorcycles to be motor vehicles, thus the law applies.

Post imported post

stevegriz wrote:
    However the law says no open carry in a vehicle.
    The law doesn't say "no open carry in a vehicle", it only says no loaded guns in a vehicle without a CCW permit.

Post imported post

RT48 wrote:
    stevegriz wrote:
    However the law says no open carry in a vehicle.
    The law doesn't say "no open carry in a vehicle", it only says no loaded guns in a vehicle without a CCW permit.
    And in fact, it used to REQUIRE open carry in a vehicle WITH recognized CCW credential.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Rt48 I thought that the weapons definitions part of the Oc was pretty clear that it has to put put away in some sort of bag or container i.e. not in your holster on your body.
    I mean I am not from this state and most of everyone has been ocing longer than me so I could be wrong,somone tell me.