• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on Open Carry on a Motorcycle

stevegriz

imported post

I am traveling through Ohio coming from Georgia. Ohio does not accept GA CCW so I will have to open carry. However the law says no open carry in a vehicle.

Where do I stand being on a Motorcycle? Do I need to lock it up when riding and then put it on when I get off? Or does being out in the open on my Motorcycle allow me to open carry??

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Steve

justherenow

imported post

You will need to secure your weapon. In Ohio, a motorcycle is equal to a car when it comes to gun laws. Also, make sure your unload your magazines, Ohio considers a loaded magazine anywhere in the vehicle as a loaded weapon.

Note: Some new laws when into effect recently, I could be wrong about the magazine part, they were working on that. A good place to find out would be at http://www.ohioccwforums.org/

RT48

imported post

The magazine law is still in effect.

Ohio does not allow the carry of a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle without a Concealed Handgun License, doesn't matter how concealed or in plain sight it might be. Ohio considers motorcycles to be motor vehicles, thus the law applies.

Deanimator

imported post

RT48 wrote:
stevegriz wrote:
However the law says no open carry in a vehicle.
The law doesn't say "no open carry in a vehicle", it only says no loaded guns in a vehicle without a CCW permit.
And in fact, it used to REQUIRE open carry in a vehicle WITH recognized CCW credential.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Rt48 I thought that the weapons definitions part of the Oc was pretty clear that it has to put put away in some sort of bag or container i.e. not in your holster on your body.
I mean I am not from this state and most of everyone has been ocing longer than me so I could be wrong,somone tell me.