• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First handgun... suggestions for a holster

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Hello everyone,

Just joined the boards today, although I've been reading for a few years [I'm a good friend of Michigander's]

I just picked up a 1911, and with it I got a free holster, but I'll tell you, I would not want to be using this thing if I ever needed it, if you catch my drift.

I'm looking for suggestions for a holster that would suit these needs:

1. Retention. I don't want my gun being grabbed, or falling out. My sister has 4 kids under 6...
2. Draw Speed. If I ever do need the weapon, I don't want to be fumbling around with a lighter trying to expand the leather to draw the thing...

3. Cost Effectiveness. Unfortunately living in Michigan, I am not in a position to spend 80 bucks on a holster.

4. This is a very secondary concern... I'd prefer something that won't totally screw up my finish, but if it meets needs 1-3, I won't complain.

I have played a little with my friend's safariland holster for his P220, and that seems to do all the things I need, but its a little pricey for one, and almost every cop in this area has one, for 2, and I'd kind of get a perverted pleasure out of seeing 3 cops stumped on how to disarm me, should the situation ever arise [although hopefully it won't] :-D

SERPA holsters have been suggested to me although I have never personally handled them nor do I know exactly how they work...

any suggestions are appreciated, thanks guys.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

any particular one?

I don't have a CPL yet but intend to get one... however [and obviously my presence here would suggest this] I want to be able to OC too... I want something I can do either with. Does such a thing exist?

h2ofowl

imported post

i would suggest a nice leather belt holster like a galco.that is what i use to carry my 40 cal. it is a formed fitted holster so the gun fits snug and their is a tension adjustment as well.the holster is also comfortable to wear even when sitting and driving.

jeeper1

imported post

I carry my XD40 in a Serpa for OC and a Crossbreed Qwikklip for CC.
I chose those holsters because I have shoulder problems and set them both set up for cross draw. Both holsters totally cover the trigger area for safety and if someone was to attempt a snatch they would have to be in front of you or reach across your front where you can stop them easier than if it was on your hip.

office888

imported post

Blackhawk SERPA.

Mine has been used and abused on a daily basis. The finish is scuffed and it's a little beat up overall but still works great.

For the $45~, you won't be disappointed.

-Richard-

Michigander

imported post

Just splurge and get a Safariland like mine. (He fondled specifically my Safariland)

It should be within your price range, because I got mine for $75.47. :p

Seriously though, if you go for a Serpa, you can coat the inside with something to protect the finish. Such as I believe someone on this forum coated their holster with felt. It also seems you could grease the inside of it so that the gun slides in and out easily, although that would be a bit messy.

In your situation I would probably get a Serpa Sportster from Cabelas or Jays. At like 30 bucks, it's an unbeatable deal.

Xader

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
you know what though, I looked and I couldn't find a safariland like yours, for 1911s or otherwise...
The Safariland 6378 ALS is available for the 1911. It's what I use for mine.

As for your specs:

1. Retention. The ALS is a very good retention system. When getting a combat grip, thumb falls naturally on release lever. The paddle and belt slide are also very secure.

2. Draw Speed. Like butter.

3. Cost Effectiveness. Mine was $43 from Optics Planet w/free shipping.

4. ...something that won't totally screw up my finish... It has an inner felt layer. Leaves no marks on my park'd 1911

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safaril...r-stx-plain-black-right-hand-6378-53-411.html

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Thanks Xader, that looks like a good option.

waiting on my paycheck then I'm gonna look into something. Borrowing a nice Don Hume for now.

Michigander

imported post

Just be aware of 2 things. First, that you might not like a paddle holster for extensive carry. Some people get their skin irritated by them, others don't.

Also, it's not as secure of a holster as mine, because it doesn't have a fake out hood that looks like a strap, and it can't be upgraded to level 3. Not that a grab is likely, but it's important to know the retention is less, and be situationally aware accordingly.

But all that said, it should work pretty well for occasional to moderate OCing, and also for concealing if you ever get a CPL and wish to conceal.

Looks like optics planet sells the 6280s for 10 bucks less than in my link. About a 20 dollar difference between the 2, which isn't much when you consider your safety. I wonder if that will make it harder to decide. :p

r6-rider

imported post

oh yea when i had a 1911, the serpa did give it some significant wear on the slide. so you gotta watch out for that. but you can draw it very fast and in the perfect position which to me is more important

230therapy

imported post

Safariland ALS or one of the many variants.

If you're concerned about the finish, put it back in the safe. It will get worn regardless of holster material. If it's NOT worn, you are not practicing enough.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

230therapy wrote:
Safariland ALS or one of the many variants.

If you're concerned about the finish, put it back in the safe. It will get worn regardless of holster material. If it's NOT worn, you are not practicing enough.
yeah... i guess i'm not really particularly concerned about finish wear... its a tertiary concern of very little importance.