• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone going to watch the DC Teaparty tomorrow

Lie2me

imported post

Of course I had those last minute errands to run and missed the event. Just got home and wished I could've been there. This is such a crock of BS, especially after the backpedalling and story switching.

+1 on the write up. It's hard to say if the organizers of the event took the time to check out the gun policies of the establishment beforehand. I doubt they did. However, it is big-time hypocrisy to be an advertisedvenue for such things and not support 2A. We'll see how this all plays out.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Lie2me wrote:
Of course I had those last minute errands to run and missed the event. Just got home and wished I could've been there. This is such a crock of BS, especially after the backpedalling and story switching.

+1 on the write up. It's hard to say if the organizers of the event took the time to check out the gun policies of the establishment beforehand. I doubt they did. However, it is big-time hypocrisy to be an advertisedvenue for such things and not support 2A. We'll see how this all plays out.

Well, here's writeup #2:uhoh:

http://news.oldva.org/uncategorized/is-the-tea-party-anti-gun/

Is the Tea Party Anti-Gun

Just imagine planning a Civil Rights Rally…and holding it in a Ku Klux Klan Hall.
Boy howdy, think how surprised those folks looking to enforce their rights under God and the United States Constitution, would be, when they’re greeted by a gentleman with a hood on his head and a noose in his hand and a smile on his face. Nothing like good planning.
Today, I briefly attended the off site Washington D.C. Tea Party. It was held at Bailey’s Pub and Grille in Chesterfield.
As most readers know, I am or was, a strong supporter of the Richmond Tea Party. I’ve done photo stories on several of them.
ralphie2small.jpg

The last one was at the Chesterfield Fairgrounds. Great location…except for one little detail. They closed all the Fairground parking lots to everyone but persons actually working there, and the only other parking was at the school across the street.
And you ask, what’s the problem? Well, it’s illegal to bring a firearm onto school property in Virginia. CHP holders may leave the weapon in their vehicle but common folks can’t even do that. Violation is one of those major, gonna get you arrested and thrown in a cell with Big Bubba, kind of laws.
Did the Tea Party Care….Hell no! One can pass over one little error like that as Purdy Stoopid, but forgivable.
Enter today’s faux pas. The off site rally was held at Bailey’s which is so anti gun, it’s foaming at the mouth. See todays story about my adventures in Baileyland.
Bailey’s Pub and Grille.. A Haven for Criminals ? After my encounter with the Manager at the door, I went back to the Rally and spotting this Gentleman, whom looked important, I aked “Who’s in charge here”? He acknowledged he was.
539__320x240_tea-1.jpg

I asked him why they would choose to promote an anti gun establishment. He said they weren’t anti gun, they just didn’t want any guns in here.
Well hush my mouth…just how in hell does that make any sense? So I asked, “Is that the best answer you can come up with?”
Obviousely busy counting heads, he said “Look Call VCDL”.
I told him I was a VCDL member and as of the last meeting, we still had our guns on.
His reply before he turned and snipped away…”Tell VCDL to pick the place next time”.
Now I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but that boy ain’t right! My concluion is that the Richmond Tea Party just flat doesn’t give a damn about gun rights. There’s no other explanation!
I invite the Tea Party to explain these two lapses in judgment. I’ll happily print them.
Until then
541__320x240_tea-2.jpg

540__320x240_tea3.jpg

curtiswr

imported post

Sounds like he was a little snarky.

It was the first tea party event I tried to attend... needless to say I won't be trying too hard at all to get to another one. ;)

KBCraig

imported post

I believe you've stumbled onto a major problem with the "tea parties" in general: that no matter what you envision when you think "tea party", many of the groups organizing these events are dominated by neocons who are just as authoritarian as those they purport to oppose.

"Rights" has been utterly dumbed down in America.

Repeater

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
I believe you've stumbled onto a major problem with the "tea parties" in general: that no matter what you envision when you think "tea party", many of the groups organizing these events are dominated by neocons who are just as authoritarian as those they purport to oppose.

"Rights" has been utterly dumbed down in America.

Does anyone see the analogy between Bailey's and Innsbrook?

Neocons:

Linwood Cobb

Eric Cantor

Bailey's manager?

Tea Party organizers??

kennys

imported post

I agree, as well this was one of my first thoughts after leaving yesterday.

Above an beyond that, it truly shows the ignorance as such places like Bailey's.Even if they wish to continue their venue of guns and alcohol not mixingeven though the law abiding citizen are there not to drink, but eat, or meet. I guess that is shows us there true colors as to alcohol and cars mixing and being more in there site of excusable behavior for the ones that shouldn't be driving but yet are allowed to leave and driveany way.

Something else I find puzzling. They try to push their non gun position as a safety issue. Or at least that started to be one of there stories from what I hear.But yetI guess yesterdays event they probably had more people than was allowed by their fire occupancy permit for safety...Just a thought.

curtiswr

imported post

I am the District Manager for the Baileys in Richmond. I was informed at the time of your question about our gun policies. At the time we were unsure about what the policy was as we have not experience such a question before. The General Manager referred the question to our legal dept. who in turn contacted the state police. The police told us that is was illegal to carry a concealed weapon in an establishment that serves alcohol. At the time of this letter we prohibit the carry of open or concealed weapons in our building. I do not want to lose your business over the policy but must consider all guests within the establishment as well as the employees. A weapon poses a perceived threat no matter how responsible the person carrying it. The management team, employees, and most of our guests will not feel safe with a loaded weapon sitting on the table or bar top.

I apologize in advance for any issues that this may cause your group.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely
Kurt Hales
District Manager
FHRG

[line]

I replied:
Mr. Hales,

Thank you for the timely response. I respect your decision and your company's decision to turn away and reject business from responsible, law-abiding Virginians and Americans. I almost admire it to an extent, as it must be quite the difficult maneuver to make in this economic climate. I hope in turn that you can respect my, and others', decision to take our business elsewhere.

Albeit it seems you are confused. Open carry and being in common observation does not mean that anyone interested in legally carrying a firearm into your restaurant would have to place the firearm on the table or bar top. It would remain holstered, on the hip, as any sidearm normally is.

As for the perceived threat, I would like to relay several comments of the same ilk (one of which I received just this past Friday night while going out to see a movie). They are received from time to time and are all along the line of "I feel safer because you are armed, thank you." The exact quote from the movie theater this past Friday was a young lady proclaiming to her boyfriend that she wanted to wait in the line I was in because she felt safer that I was there. The perceived threat is a conclusion reached through an irrational and emotionally (not logically) fueled thought process.

On the issue of safety: gun free zones, are by record (as evidenced recently), a lot more dangerous than those that allow legal carry. By not allowing patrons to legally carry if they so choose you are putting them in greater danger should a criminal, who won't care that he is breaking a simple trespass law by bringing the firearm in, decide to target any of the FHRG restaurants. Asking them to lock their firearm in the car poses the risk of 1) the car being broken into and the firearm stolen 2) a criminal now being armed with a stolen firearm.

Thanks

[line]
I probably could've said a few things better but regardless of how eloquent I was or wasn't, I don't think it would change any minds. Before I received the email, or knew that I received it, I called their main office in Kentucky or Kansas or whatever state it's in and got this response from the FHRG Director of Legal Affairs:

"As long as there is a liquor license we will not allow carry of firearms in our restaurants, even if legal and in accordance with state law."
Chalk the entire FHRG up as anti-gun I suppose.

kennys

imported post

I got the same letter you did. My response as well was:

[align=left]First and fore most, I was not approached by any of your staff and told I could not carry. I was waiting for someone from our group that arrived a little later than I did. When they arrived I was informed by them of the business no gun policy as they were approached on entrance by your staff.Immediately after being told I responsibly went out and locked my weapon in my vehicle so I could find out what was going on, retrieve my wife and leave.[/align]
[align=left]I guess the reasoning for your establishment not posting a sign is you don't want the criminals that enter to know you are an anti-self defense business that could easily be targeted, not that they are law conscious and wouldcarry concealed any way.In saying that I find it ironic that you could as well be so touchy about the legal right of someone to protect themselves. Day in and day out you continually practice to take away the right of law abiding sobergun owners, but yet take the chance with drunk patrons leaving and getting behind the wheel. As well sometimes for criminals theyare an easy target as they leave the bar to go to their car. Are you going to have an armed employee walk each and every one of them to their car? I doubt it! Reason being if you did, you would have to be responsible enough to keep many people that walk out the door behind your back from driving, because of drinking too much.[/align]
[align=left]Something I also want to point out as you say you are so safety conscious I truly believe that Saturdays affair, went well above fire capacity, as the door was not constantly monitored to keep count, that in itself seems like a safety issue to me.[/align]
[align=left]As to the statements regardingyour costumers not feeling safe. I believe I was at your establishment about fifteen to thirty minutes not knowing and carrying my full size 1911 on my side,and all I got were smiles and hand shakes from people I didn't even know, as well there were a few of the staff that did notice butdidn't make issue of it.[/align]
[align=left]In general I carry openly every where I go in the summer as it is to hot to conceal.To the grocerystore, the drug storeto work, to restaurants that serve alcohol, as well as those that don't. Never really had too many issues of people feeling safe around me. Sometimes I get comments of people feeling safer.[/align]
[align=left]For what you say about laying it on the bar, or table, I think you are to much into that wild west miss information that some people seem to hold on to. Simple fact, our weapons stay holstered. There is a general safety rule among us gun owners that in public places our weapons are not touched, end of story.Every daythousand's of legal gun owners, to put the number lightly,carry both open and concealed. We have as well monthly open carry events at places all over that serve alcohol, none with any issues. Can you say that about all the people that leave your establishment? [/align]
[align=left]How many DUI's? How many domestic disputes because of alcohol? [/align]
[align=left]How many accidents in Va have been alcohol related? [/align]
[align=left]How many injuries and causalities are alcohol related?[/align]
[align=left]As well how many medical issues because of the consumption of alcohol?[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]I bet you find the numbers less than issue's of lawabiding gun owners![/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Sorry but you have most defiantly lostme and many others like me as customers.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]If you wish to keep an open mind and find out more about responsible gun owners, feel free to contact me and I can point you in the right direction.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Thank you for your time.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am pretty hopping mad at this. In fact, more than that, I am fuming mad.

Having said that -

Knowing a little (and I mean VERY little) about the decision process involved with the local tea party and associated groups, it seems to me that the idea of meeting at Bailey's was almost an afterthought.

They explicitly stated that their main focus would be to get as MANY people to go to DC as possible.

It may be they waited so long to get a place on Saturday that there were not a lot of choices? They picked somewhere that would let the group in - on a college football Saturday even.

This, folks, IMO, is an OPPORTUNITY to educate people rather than isolate and squabble and divide.

Having talked personally to several of the founding types , my impression of the various groups and factions involved with the We Surround them groups and the Tea Party Richmond and associated groups seems like there is already a lot of dissension and petty disagreements. NO they never certainly said any such thing when I talked to them, but certain answers and the way they answered told me enough.

Granted, it is a slap in the face that apparently they just never even thought of it. But if we can educate regular folks, we should be able to get these folks to understand and even embrace our cause.

kennys

imported post

I had sent an email tothe event coordinatorsabout the situation at Bailey's as I had tried to separate the business from the event. They didn't even have the decency to send me back any reply..Even if they had tried to lie, at least I would have been acknowledged.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am also going to say, in regards to the tea party guy, that he may not be that high up with them, considering probably most of the leadership went to DC.

Not an excuse, but consider that most of the people involved with the Tea Party and associated groups are very new at this. They aren't that experienced with PR, and many were not business people experienced in dealing with the public.

Many simply aren't used to or trained to deal with criticism or confrontation from what they expected was "their side". They may have felt they were blindsided.

Or maybe they were just jerks, or anti gun.. I don't know - but I don't want to draw too many conclusions at this time, even as angry as this makes me.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kennys wrote:
I had sent an email tothe event coordinatorsabout the situation at Bailey's as I had tried to separate the business from the event. They didn't even have the decency to send me back any reply..Even if they had tried to lie, at least I would have been acknowledged.

Your email may easily have been lost in a tidal wave of well-wishes and references to the march on DC.

Don't forget, these guys aren't that experienced at activism yet.

They do this on their own time, just like the VCDL and OCDO folks do.

If someone even opened the email yet, the person who read it may not even have known what to do because there may not be such a protocol yet (respond to acknowledge receipt and tell them it is being forwarded to those in authority, the council of 12, the parliament, whatever).

This is basically a brand new grass roots organization going through a lot of growing pains. They have a lot to learn, and I think we can teach them a thing or 5.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bailey's - on my black list, period. Will tell all of my friends too.

Tea Parties - will reserve judgment.

I see much common ground, but just like with the bad apple LEO, I will endeavor to get name, details, recording and/or picture of any errant representative and follow through with complaint/report.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Skeptic wrote:
kennys wrote:

Your email may easily have been lost in a tidal wave of well-wishes and references to the march on DC.

If someone even opened the email yet, the person who read it may not even have known what to do because there may not be such a protocol yet (respond to acknowledge receipt and tell them it is being forwarded to those in authority, the council of 12, the parliament, whatever).

This is basically a brand new grass roots organization going through a lot of growing pains. They have a lot to learn, and I think we can teach them a thing or 5.
That's true but they sure didn't miss the story. They had my card and the story was on twitter and they are followers on Twitter.

Considering I had so much traffic yesterday, that my host had to take my server offline for an hour...I seriously doubt they didn't see it.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Skeptic wrote:
kennys wrote:

That's true but they sure didn't miss the story. They had my card and the story was on twitter and they are followers on Twitter.

Considering I had so much traffic yesterday, that my host had to take my server offline for an hour...I seriously doubt they didn't see it.
Perhaps what they need is someone on their steering committee (or whatever they have) who is a representative for gun rights.

It seems most of their mistakes could easily be attributed to lack of forethought and inexperience, with a touch of pigheadedness thrown in.

Don't forget too, the exec members of the tea party worked hard to pull off the DC trip and that just happened on Saturday. They are regular people catching up on stuff they have been putting off in their own lives as well, so they may not yet have had a meeting to discuss this matter yet.

I have a few contacts with some of the related orgs, so I will ping them to see what they think.

Don't get me wrong - they have some splaining to do - but more important than the PAST, they need to explain what they will do in the FUTURE. Like an gun-rights steering member, for example.

Otherwise they are gooing to lose supporters - myself included. And a number of my friends, who aren't really gun people but who undderstand the importance of the second amendment and why a group like this should be supportive, NOT dismissive.

Bottom line - yes the Richmond Tea Party org should respond to this, but they aren't a monolithic organization, and they just got done with a project they have been working ery hard on for many months. I am going to give them some time, but also remind them from time to time.

Also I suspect PVC may have something in the works on this, at least I hope he does.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I don't want to go overly hard on the Tea Party folks at this time. I don't think Baileys being anti-gun even crossed their minds. Look at this way - what were the odds? Only a handful of restaurants have such a ban. It looks like a case of really bad luck.

I'll bet we have gotten their attention and they will check on "gun-friendliness" for future events.

If I have the opportunity to speak to any of the leaders, I will make sure they understand the issue.

Those who are getting involved in Tea Parties at all levels are pretty much on our side of the fence on guns. Let's give them some breathing room on this first snafu. If there is a trend, that would be very different.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
I don't want to go overly hard on the Tea Party folks at this time. I don't think Baileys being anti-gun even crossed their minds. Look at this way - what were the odds? Only a handful of restaurants have such a ban. It looks like a case of really bad luck.

I'll bet we have gotten their attention and they will check on "gun-friendliness" for future events.

If I have the opportunity to speak to any of the leaders, I will make sure they understand the issue.

Those who are getting involved in Tea Parties at all levels are pretty much on our side of the fence on guns. Let's give them some breathing room on this first snafu. If there is a trend, that would be very different.
+1

Sorry the problem came up this way, but not prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Yata hey