• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hotel or Motel Stays

6L6GC

imported post

My wife and I rented a cabin in the mountains for a weekend get away. There was a list of "rules" on the Frigidaire and one of the rules was that NO weapons or firearms was allowed. Of course you all know that I meekly complied with that ;)

So I've been trying to find out if there is any law(s) concerning persons staying in an inn, hotel, motel, or other temporary lodging and I haven't been able to find anything yet. :banghead:

I vaguely recall a discussion about that very topic and I though it was opencarry.org but I haven't been able to find it. Anyone else recall that or have any information about this type of thing?

I open carried there anyway (but hey! I was cool about it ) :dude:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

kennys wrote:
As long as there are no signs, you should be ok. In Va any way.

There was a sign - There was a list of "rules" on the Frigidaire and one of the rules was that NO weapons or firearms was allowed.

If its private property, then the property owner can enforce whatever provisions he would like, just like you would do in your own home.

kennys

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
kennys wrote:
As long as there are no signs, you should be ok. In Va any way.

There was a sign - There was a list of "rules" on the Frigidaire and one of the rules was that NO weapons or firearms was allowed.

If its private property, then the property owner can enforce whatever provisions he would like, just like you would do in your own home.
In this case yes you are right no weapons. It looked as though the question was going beyond the cabin..If so than what I said applies

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

6L6GC wrote:
My wife and I rented a cabin in the mountains for a weekend get away. There was a list of "rules" on the Frigidaire and one of the rules was that NO weapons or firearms was allowed. Of course you all know that I meekly complied with that ;)

So I've been trying to find out if there is any law(s) concerning persons staying in an inn, hotel, motel, or other temporary lodging and I haven't been able to find anything yet. :banghead:

I vaguely recall a discussion about that very topic and I though it was opencarry.org but I haven't been able to find it. Anyone else recall that or have any information about this type of thing?

Didn't see that sign...did you:lol:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

IANAL but if I rent or lease property such as a house or cabin during that period it then becomes my temporary domicile under my control and as long as I leave the property undamaged. Also anote on the refrigerator is not a written lease agreement. Had I been notified of the no guns clause prior to renting I would not rent, however finding a note on the refrigerator after arrival.

:banghead:

jadedone4

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
IANAL but if I rent or lease property such as a house or cabin during that period it then becomes my temporary domicile under my control and as long as I leave the property undamaged. Also anote on the refrigerator is not a written lease agreement. Had I been notified of the no guns clause prior to renting I would not rent, however finding a note on the refrigerator after arrival.

:banghead:
IANAL, but I'd venture to say that in the actual lease/rental agreement - there are those words that stipulate that you will follow the rules of the property-owner, etc. Also, if you were that staunch on carrying or having firearms, upon reading the note on the fridge you still (at that point) had the ability to walk-out and request a return of your rental payment, etc. By staying at the propert you executed "acceptance by performance" of the rental agreement as well as the note on the fridge barring firearms, etc.

pyite

imported post

Yeah Im gonna have to go ahead and choose the I dont give a sh*t what the hotel says option. If I am staying in a state where I can legally carry, I will carry my pistol. If it is against the rules, i will CC.

TFred

imported post

pyite wrote:
Yeah Im gonna have to go ahead and choose the I dont give a sh*t what the hotel says option. If I am staying in a state where I can legally carry, I will carry my pistol. If it is against the rules, i will CC.
Just to be safe... CC the night you check in, OC the morning you check out! ;)

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
Courtyard Marriott in Bristol; OCed three different occasions there, and narry a comment. Maybe we could start a "pro-OC hotel" thread haha. ;) jk
I have OCd every time I checked in over the past 3-4 years and yet to have a problem throughout Virginia and Pa. Don't really travel that much though - 2 or 3 times per year.

Yata hey

6L6GC

imported post

I'm beginning to think that the thread that I remember was something or other dealing with local governments not being allowed to enact prohibitions against travelers storing a gun in their room over night, and prohibiting carrying the gun from the car to the hotel room from being a crime.

One of the problems is that I don't remember what it is that I don't remember.

virginiatuck

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
Why would you want to keep your firearms in the Frigidaire anyway?

As for the law protecting your right to keep and bear arms in a private hotel room [in VA, I presume], there's no such thing unless the "hotel" is owned by the Commonwealth of Virginia and is considered "public housing." There are numerous threads throughout OCDO-VA discussing leases, firearms, public housing, and RKBA.

I'm one who subscribes to the theory that a hotel/motel room is your dwelling while you are leasing it, as far as the law is concerned. However, the owner or agent who leases the room to you may stipulate rules such as "no firearms," "no hats indoors," and "no flip-flops" as a condition of the contract.

If the contract says that you must obey all posted signs and rules on the property, even though the rules are not enumerated in the contract, and there's a sign on the Frigidaire that simply says "no firearms allowed" then you can't keep your firearms in the Frigidaire without voiding the contract. :)

I vaguely remember reading another southern state's laws that had something to the effect you are looking... I just can't remember which one(s).

9MM Owner

imported post

6L6GC wrote:

Being a cabin in the mountains, the first thing that would come to mind after seeing the "no weapons or firearms" signis that they didn't want to rent the cabin for hunting. At that point I would have called the person that the cabin was rented from for clarification.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This is a rental provision. Any violation is civil, not criminal. About the worst thing they could do is tell them to pack up.

I like the OP's attitude. Basicly...Fu&* em.

mobeewan

imported post

peter nap wrote:
This is a rental provision. Any violation is civil, not criminal. About the worst thing they could do is tell them to pack up.

I like the OP's attitude. Basicly...Fu&* em.
Exactly, F em.Don't ask don't tell.