• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Investigator carrying while in the job?

Aaron1124

imported post

Does a Private Investigator who is licensed in the state of Washington, need any armed licensing in order to legally carry while performing investigative duties in this state? Or can he carry as any other citizen can?

I ask because I know it's unlawful for a contracted security officer to carry unless they are licensed as an armed guard. Does the same go for Private Investigator's? Or do they fall under the law as any other citizen would?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Don't forget about the weapon:

RCW 18.165.060
Armed private investigator license authority — Registration of firearms.

(1) An armed private investigator license grants authority to the holder, while in the performance of his or her duties, to carry a firearm with which the holder has met the proficiency requirements established by the commission.

(2) All firearms carried by armed private investigators in the performance of their duties must be owned by the employer and, if required by law, must be registered with the proper government agency.