• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New & Question & 20 yrs. old

thirdwatch

imported post

Hello,

I am new to the site and had found out about open carrying to a member of this site that I talked to today and was relly nice and informative and he told me about OCing and the basic's.

I am 20 years old, and I am not looking to OC to say "hey look at me" I am a mature young person and am not going to do anything stupid like other people my age might, I simply would like to Exercise my 2nd Amendment Rights before they are taken away or limited. I have gone to the shooting range with my family for years and have taken two firearms classes in the last 2 years, and have read the KY CCW permit booklet and laws to get a idea before I turn 21 and can apply for a CCW.

I have read a few post's I know that it is legal for someone over 18 years old to open carry in legal places in KY, my 4 questions are,

first-do you support a younger person to open carry legally (starting off around the house and to and from a friends house (with them knowing before hand) and short little trips at first.) My family is a little hesatent and suggests that I should wait till I get my CCW permit to be safe.

2nd-I would be OC a Smith & Wesson MP 9mm full size in a blackhawk sepra holster,
http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/SERPA-Concealment,1410.htm
Would this be a okay one to start OCing with or would you suggest something else.

3rd-When driving or in times when not wanting to OC putting the firearm in the glove box and locking it is legal correct? (with the clip out of the gun) and is legal for people under 21.

4-To clarify it is legal for someone under 21 to be in possession of a firearm while OC or to have it in a glove box.

I apologize for the long post and the dumb questions, I am a little hesitant to OC but want to get everything clear and straight before I do so.

Thank you for your time.

Dan

8th ID

imported post

thirdwatch wrote:
2nd-I would be OC a Smith & Wesson MP 9mm full size in a blackhawk sepra holster,
http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/SERPA-Concealment,1410.htm
Would this be a okay one to start OCing with or would you suggest something else.

3rd-When driving or in times when not wanting to OC putting the firearm in the glove box and locking it is legal correct? (with the clip out of the gun) and is legal for people under 21.

4-To clarify it is legal for someone under 21 to be in possession of a firearm while OC or to have it in a glove box.

I have no problem with a younger person OC'ing.

Start out with the weapon you have and are familiar with.

In your car: glove box is legal. Does not have to be locked. The magazine does not have to be out of the gun.

It IS legal in KY for a person 18 or older to OC.

Good Luck! Carry On! and ask questions here if you need. There are many members who will be happy to help you out. One small thing to remember: When you OC, like it or not, to the general public, you are representing the OC community.

langzaiguy

imported post

Welcome! +1 to all 8th had to say. I would also arm yourself with the state statute on the matter. You don't have to, but it might make your life easier if you're ever confronted.

KRS 527.100 is what you want to look at.

Edit: Sometimes it's helpful to start OCing with other members, what part of the state are you from?

BigBubba

imported post

welcome to the site

+1 to what 8th had to say, and if u want to OC with other people first we'r doing a breakfast on the 19th at Bob Evan's on Winchester Rd, just off I-75 in Lexington

kentuckyshiner85

imported post

I myself am just 23 years of age and have carried since I was 18 . I was pulled over here in Georgetown and didn't have any trouble with the firearm, my suspended lisc. was a different story . I was sent home with no probs though. new cop nice guy. but anyways back on the subject , I would suggest that you start out with someone that has a little more exp. go to the get togethers we have and enjoy your freedom. keep a copy of the law close just to make your day a little easier. but until then just carry proudly just keep a cool head and if ANYBODY ask to see it just say no. It is not being rude just safe, for them and your own safety think first. With every bullet comes a lawyer. The cops don't worry me it those d*** lawyers. they are always looking for a reason to sue someone.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
I'm also only 20 years old and a buddy of mine is only 19 and we've both open carried many times. Its great fun and you'll get to educate someone on a daily basis.
I'm curious. How exactly are you having "great fun" while OC'ing? I don't recall OC as being something we do for amusment. The underlying responsibilities of carrying in any mode are very serious, and not to be taken lightly.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
KY Soldier wrote:
I'm also only 20 years old and a buddy of mine is only 19 and we've both open carried many times. Its great fun and you'll get to educate someone on a daily basis.
I'm curious. How exactly are you having "great fun" while OC'ing?
Shades of anty506....and Danbus...

mellio

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
KY Soldier wrote:
I'm curious. How exactly are you having "great fun" while OC'ing? I don't recall OC as being something we do for amusment. The underlying responsibilities of carrying in any mode are very serious, and not to be taken lightly.
I also enjoy OC and CC. I would not exactly say it's "great fun" but I can see how someone might say that. Just because I would say I enjoy it or someone else would say it's great fun does not mean thatit is nottaken seriously by them. I take carrying a weapon and asserting my rights very seriously but it's not what I "live for".Just my opinion.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mellio wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
KY Soldier wrote:
I also enjoy OC and CC. I would not exactly say it's "great fun" but I can see how someone might say that. Just because I would say I enjoy it or someone else would say it's great fun does not mean thatit is nottaken seriously by them. I take carrying a weapon and asserting my rights very seriously but it's not what I "live for".Just my opinion.
There's a significant rhetorical difference between saying "It great fun" to OC and saying "I ...enjoy OC..." The different words express different sentifments and understanding.

Especially coming from a 20 year old, IMO.

I can see your line of thinking, that you "can see how someone might say that."

My line of thinking is that, especially coming from a noob, it reveals a shallowness of conception of what carrying a gun is about. It creates a presumption in my mind about the person. The presumption isrebuttable, to besure. It could be changed with more info.

But right now, I am of the opinion that KY Soldier and maybe his 19-year-old buddy are a leetle bit too, uhm, anxious about carrying guns. Like 19-year-old anty506 turned out to be...

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
mellio wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
KY Soldier wrote:
There's a significant rhetorical difference between saying "It great fun" to OC and saying "I ...enjoy OC..." The different words express different sentifments and understanding.

Especially coming from a 20 year old, IMO.

I can see your line of thinking, that you "can see how someone might say that."

My line of thinking is that, especially coming from a noob, it reveals a shallowness of conception of what carrying a gun is about. It creates a presumption in my mind about the person. The presumption isrebuttable, to besure. It could be changed with more info.

But right now, I am of the opinion that KY Soldier and maybe his 19-year-old buddy are a leetle bit too, uhm, anxious about carrying guns. Like 19-year-old anty506 turned out to be...

This is pretty much what I was hinting at with my query to Ky Soldior.

I remember being their age and I'll admit that there were times when I didn't always think before I acted. I'm in my fifties now and believe (at least I hope) that I have grown up and out of such foolishness.