• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - Gunman with grudge kills 2 in Mich.

office888

imported post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090912/ap_on_re_us/us_activist_killed_mich

"OWOSSO, Mich. – All week "the sign guy" had stood outside the local public high school, protesting abortion.
On Friday morning, James Pouillon — known in Owosso for his years of in-your-face protests against abortion — was in his usual place across the street, holding a sign that pictured a chubby-cheeked baby with the word "LIFE" on one side and an image of an aborted fetus with the word "ABORTION" on the other. This time, a truck pulled up and a man inside opened fire, killing the protester before driving to a gravel pit business and shooting and killing the owner.
"

PFZs : Now if only criminals OBEYED the law...

-Richard-

WARCHILD

imported post

ALWAYS.....take what you see in the news with a grain of salt, usually it only contains partial truth and a lot of "shock & awe" opinion. The immediate focus in on the "Abortion sign guy". It was part of the shooters focus, but not all. He had a personal grudge against the two victims and the third "intended victim".
It was not "only" about the abortion signs. Untill all the "facts" are reported (maybe), consider the source of the information.
I live in Owosso, I have seen the "Sign guy" many times, on many street corners. I didn't agree with his signs, but fully support his right to express his beliefs. He did not deserve to die for it just because someone didn't like it. Neither did Jim Fouss, his company did some work for me years back and was a nice and polite man with my interactions with him. I also know the next intended victim, Jim Howe, the realator. He also is a very likeable person. My condolences to the victim's family and the shooters family as well. This type of tragedy has an effect on everyone. Also as I've "gotta be me", I took the opportunity to answer a couple of comments made to me in town. The most important being..."This can happen anywhere"... small towns are not immune to crime, they just don't expect it on their little cloud! Hence, "why do you carry that gun"....because you never know where and when you will need it! I do believe this was a shock wake up call for this city; crime is an expanding evil and it can and will show up sooner or later. It truly is a sad day for Owosso.

autosurgeon

imported post

I would bet that this had very little to do with the signs and abortion position and everything to do with a stupid grudge based on some perceived slight. There is always the possibility of some unhinged person doing something like this ... the human mind is frail and more so in some people.

DanM

imported post

Warchild, thanks for writing a little bit about this. It certainly helps to flesh out the news reports I've been following since it happened. Do you know ofthe alleged shooter or his family as well?

[Edit to increase font size.]

WARCHILD

imported post

No I don't, except things that I have "heard'...and I don't repeat rumor mill opinions. Any credible/factual info I come across will be posted.

SlowDog

imported post

I used to drive gravel trains running in and out of Fouss sand & gravel and they were always real nice guys. It is a sad tragedy when something like this happens and hopefully people in small towns will realize that when this sort of thing happens having a sidearm just might SAVE THE DAY.