• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transfer of arms

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You can use this form if you like - since y'all are, for BATFE purposes, residents of Virginia as well as whatever states you come from, there's no restriction on transfer, and you don't need to go through federally licensed firearms dealers. The person signing the form as the purchaser is swearing that he is, in fact, eligible under both federal and state law to be in possession of firearms, and will be guilty of a crime if that's not true.

http://www.virginialegaldefense.com/PvtHandgunTransferBOS.pdf

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

True that cash is sufficient, and that no paperwork is required.

But if the gun has been used in a crime, then the purchaser will want a written record of the transaction so that he can prove that the crime occurred prior to the receipt of the firearm. He will also want documentation of the purchase if the gun is lost, stolen, or destroyed, and he needs some evidence that he actually owned it. The seller will want documentation in case the gun is used in a crime subsequent to the transaction. And both will want documentation in case either lied and needs to be sued for breach of contract. Finally, the document I prepared will serve as legal protection in the event that either is charged with a crime arising out of the transaction itself. It establishes certain defenses for both parties.

False that the seller is required to determine whether the purchaser is ineligible.

All that is required is that the seller have no reason to know that the purchaser is ineligible.

A cash only FTF transaction can result in someone winding up in the penitentiary. But it's perfectly legal to do the transaction that way. You can bash your head against a concrete wall, too, if you want. But I wouldn't.