• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transfer of firearms

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

proud_to_serveUSAF wrote:
A guy I work with from GA is thinking of selling me one of his guns. I live in VA. What is required for a transfer of ownership?

Has to go through a friendly neighborhoodFFLin VA.

Need to fill out a Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

Whatcha getting?

old dog

imported post

Isn't the occasional private transaction between individuals specifically permitted in law?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

old dog wrote:
Isn't the occasional private transaction between individuals specifically permitted in law?

Sure.

But interstate transfers of handguns require the 4473/NICS background check.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How does private sale work for DC where they are allowed to buy from other states?
Or do they go by the "There are no guns in private hands, so there can be no private sale" route.
Shouldn't effect me, but if I find a good piece while on the mall protesting, I don't
want to step on any toes.:uhoh: Get people from same state to sell guns to each
other on the mall, now that would be a great way to protest in april.
A million gun sale loophole march, now that would send the white house running
for the hills.
I could live with calling it the "Thank Obama for allowing carry in fed parks rally".
Now to get OC and CC in the district laws so you can carry on the mall as well.

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

So this deal got put on hold for a little bit, but now it's back on. The owner resides in GA, I live in VA, we are going to be in NC when I purchase the gun/work with him. So do I have to have him ship it to an FFL dealer or do I purchase it through him and take it to an FFL dealer to do paperwork? How does that work?

mathar1

imported post

He needs to either Fed Ex/UPS or deliver it to Va. A NC FFL cannot transfer for another state.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
So this deal got put on hold for a little bit, but now it's back on. The owner resides in GA, I live in VA, we are going to be in NC when I purchase the gun/work with him. So do I have to have him ship it to an FFL dealer or do I purchase it through him and take it to an FFL dealer to do paperwork? How does that work?
He has to deliver the gun to an FFL for transfer to you. A NC FFL may very well be able to do the transfer, but they will probably tell you that an FFL transfer is not required because FFLs tend only to know the little bit of the law that their BATFE agents tell them and is just enough to keep them from legal troubles.

Nah. Has to be the transferee's home state, NLT.

Buyer home state FFL is the choke point.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
He has to deliver the gun to an FFL for transfer to you. A NC FFL may very well be able to do the transfer, but they will probably tell you that an FFL transfer is not required because FFLs tend only to know the little bit of the law that their BATFE agents tell them and is just enough to keep them from legal troubles.

Nah. Has to be the transferee's home state, NLT.

Buyer home state FFL is the choke point.
I'll tell you what. I'll back my statement up with statute quotation and challenge you to back yours up with a statute quotation. My statute quotation is 18 USC 922(b)(3). What's yours?

If a VA FFL can accept the rifle FROM an out of state source, then what prevents a NC FFL from accepting the rifle FROM an out of state source?

Once the rifle is accepted by the FFL, what prevents the FFL from acting under the 18 USC 922(b)(3) exception to transfer it to a VA resident? Hmmmm?
Hmm, is it a rifle or handgun?

rmodel65

imported post

iirc you cant do a handgun transfer out of state... he just need to mail it directly to your FFL back home,....