• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative LEO/IKEA Encounter

mikestilly

imported post

Vance I can't believe this happened in Canton. What a bunch of ass wipe's. The trespass card is the usual MO for these cops trying to talk tough. Good thing that the trespass statute is very specific. No judge or even prosecutor would accept a trespass charge when you were never asked to leave/ What was that about porcupine comment? Is that someone from the board?

DanM

imported post

T Vance wrote:
(I did not have a recorder going so this is what I can remember - I think I did better this time than the last time!)
Yes, sounds like you handled things perfectly. You were under extreme pressure, and you did fine.

To clarify, you didn't have a recorder, or you had a recorder but didn't have it going? Either way, this is why folks need to considerhavinga recorder AND setting itgoing before going into public. If folks don't want to suffer from, "Damn, if only I coulda got that recorded!" Because these situations are on you unpredictably and FAST, most of the time.

Well done, though, T Vance.

mikestilly

imported post

Vance definitely handled it great! I hear that trespass crap so often as a lame excuse I'm printing off the damn MCL and carrying it with me. I've actually heard of Porcupine 411 they are a libertarian group. How offensive is that. So because you're open carrying they classify you as a libertarian?? So only libertarians should care about their rights? What friggin nonsense. Sounds like the something Nancy Palosi would say.

B

Bikenut

imported post

What I found .... "interesting" ... is that the officers were playing a little game of trying to help the person of interest (T Vance in this case) not only find something to be guilty of but to also help them find evidence of guilt.............. all by allowing the one being questioned to assume something was being said that wasn't, and had never actually been, said.

Truth be told since the store employee had called the police and articulated that he didn't want T Vance in the store there was no need for police to engage in that elaborate game. A simple statement from the officer that the store wanted T Vance to leave would have been sufficient.

T Vance's knowledge of the law, and how it is applied, is what carried the day.

Edited to add: Good job of staying calm (at least on the outside) while thinking on your feet T Vance!

I have great respect for police officers since there isn't enough money in the world to get me to do their job. Yet it seems upside down when officers go out of their way to "play the game" with someone who is engaged in legal activities.

Friends... and I know I'm speaking to the choir... educating folks that guns alone do not a criminal make is going to be a long and difficult task.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good going, TVance.

Even though the cops knew where the line was, they wanted to push it.

Don't overlook theillegal detention that occurred when you moved to leave and the officer blocked your path.Nor, the attempt at collecting intelligence on membership inan (pro-rights?) organization.

wally1120

imported post

Well T we are tied on Fuzz coming up to us now. But this is some BULLHIT,I am going to OC there sometime soon. When there is a Picnic in Canton I am sure as shi6 going to that. Well antway though I would chime in on the subject and say BULLSHIT. The FUZZ Need to LEAVE US ALONE

autosurgeon

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
What I found .... "interesting" ... is that the officers were playing a little game of trying to help the person of interest (T Vance in this case) not only find something to be guilty of but to also help them find evidence of guilt.............. all by allowing the one being questioned to assume something was being said that wasn't, and had never actually been, said.
Could you pleaseclarify what you mean in my situation? I'm not following you.
He is saying they were trying to get you to admit you were trespassing so they could jam you up!

DanM

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
What recorded do you guys recommend?

I carry an Olympus WS-321M. Small, slim, digital, and can directly plug into a USB port to d/l the sound files. Sound files are in standard Windows Media format, so no need for proprietary software at all to use the thing. Excellent sound recording quality. I spent a few more bucks on this than other less expensive recorders, butthisrecorder has proven to me to beworth every dollar I spent on it.

I wear it suspended from a necklace around my neck, just underneath my top layer of clothing. It's in a good position to pick up what I say and what someone I'm facing is saying. It's so slim, there's nothing bulky noticeable on my chest.

Michigander

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
What recorded do you guys recommend?
In my experience, the most reliable electronics I use come from Sony.

What I like to do is either have my recorder going on the hear a sound record it function, or off, but in hand. In the store, I may have used the record only sounds function.

In regards to police stops, I have a theory. If it's not a serious felony stop situation, the first words that come out of your mouth need to be asking if you're being detained. If they say yes, immediately call 911 and ask for help from the MSP because of being illegally detained. If they say no, turn around and walk away. If they stop you, again call 911. If the cop is especially nasty, this may not be possible. But it should be the first thing you want to do. Another benefit of calling 911 is that it WILL be recorded by official means admissable in court.

I know there is a lot of pressure that police know how to exert on you, but just remind yourself constantly, if the police want to question you, SHUT THE **** UP AND DON'T TALK TO THEM! It can't help you to talk to them. They'll make you think it will, but IT WON'T.

There are spy video cameras available that take the shape of hats, pens, buttons, watches, and other common objects. If you get stopped, ideally you have one of these devices going from the very beginning to supplement any other actions.