• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled over by LEO in Shenandoah County

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was traveling Friday night to a town called Woodstock in Shenandoah County. I was pulled over in a small town in Shenandoah County called New Marketbecause of suspician of DUI. I hadn't had a drop to drink. I drive a big ol' truck and I wasreading every sign to make sure I wasn't lost while constantly scanning my instrument panel to make sure I wasmaintaining thespeed limit.I have a tendancy to float a little when I read every sign, especially in the mountains on roads I am unfamiliar with; so I don't really have a problem with the officer's reason for checking on me.

What I do have a problem with is the officer demanding my CHP and the location of my pistol after he ran my license and registration. I informed him that there is no duty to inform in Virginia. He told me that there was. I felt like things would go bad if I didn't comply so I handed him my permit and told him where my pistol was. I know I was right and after I complied I attempted to educate him. He wasn't having any of it.

This was clearly wrong. How should I handle this?

Regular_Joe

imported post

Sounds like you handled it appropriately. You attempted to inform him, but you didn't choose to escalate it beyond where it needed to go. Sounds like you were polite and complied.

I would probably follow-up with a cordial and informative letter to the officer's agency, just to help raise their awareness.

TFred

imported post

I agree, I would probably write a letter saying basically, your officer is mis-informed, it may help your organization in the future if you take some time to ensure that they are all aware of the law on this matter.

T Dubya wrote:
What I do have a problem with is the officer demanding my CHP and the location of my pistol after he ran my license and registration. I informed him that there is no duty to inform in Virginia. He told me that there was. I felt like things would go bad if I didn't comply so I handed him my permit and told him where my pistol was. I know I was right and after I complied I attempted to educate him. He wasn't having any of it.

Now this raises a question for me. First, I am not a LEO basher, I know several either current or former LEOs and I have the utmost respect for them. And I fully know that a few bad apples do not spoil the bushel, so to speak.

Here's the queestion: Where is the line drawn between "I have to act like I know everything, even when I clearly don't, so I maintain control of the situation, and look like I am in charge" and "I understand that I do not know every word of the Virginia and Federal code, therefore, I am willing to at least acknowledge to a citizen that I don't agree with their point, but I will check it out."

LEOs who drive the first line aren't doing themselves any favors, nor any favors for their brothers in the LEO community. Taken to it's natural end, attitudes like that put you on the wrong end of a 1983 cash damages award.

Is there any general training or standard for where along this line LEOs are supposed to drive?

TFred

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
What I do have a problem with is the officer demanding my CHP and the location of my pistol after he ran my license and registration. I informed him that there is no duty to inform in Virginia. He told me that there was.
You are correct that Virginia has no duty to inform -- "duty to inform" is having to immediately tell the officer about your permit and weapon. The officer "requesting" to see your CHP, as you've described it, does not fall within a "duty to inform" situation. Unfortunately , VA law wasn't on your side at that point. Paragraph H of § 18.2-308 states "the person issued the permit shall...display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency...upon demand by a law-enforcement officer."

The officer had a valid reason to pull you over. In the course of his encounter with you, he learned you had a CHP and suspected you may be armed. And while he may have been a jerk about it, it doesn't appear the officer did anything wrong.

It sucks and the officers demeanor could change how the whole encounter is perceived but that's the way it is.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
What I do have a problem with is the officer demanding my CHP and the location of my pistol after he ran my license and registration. I informed him that there is no duty to inform in Virginia. He told me that there was.
You are correct that Virginia has no duty to inform -- "duty to inform" is having to immediately tell the officer about your permit and weapon. The officer "requesting" to see your CHP, as you've described it, does not fall within a "duty to inform" situation. Unfortunately , VA law wasn't on your side at that point. Paragraph H of § 18.2-308 states "the person issued the permit shall...display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency...upon demand by a law-enforcement officer."

The officer had a valid reason to pull you over. In the course of his encounter with you, he learned you had a CHP and suspected you may be armed. And while he may have been a jerk about it, it doesn't appear the officer did anything wrong.

It sucks and the officers demeanor could change how the whole encounter is perceived but that's the way it is.
+1

I was born in Shenandoah and understand the problem. The Deputy didn't intend to be rude, he was just speaking in his native dialect.

That's normal for the area. Most people don't know it, but I wasn't always as charming as I am now. It took years to learn to talk "East of the Mountain":celebrate

I can help with the translations....

Deputy..What the Hell you doin here boy.
Translation.. May I see your Drivers License and Registration Sir

Deputy...Where you got your gun at?
Translation..Please leave your weapon in it; present location Sir

Deputy...Get the hell outta my County
Translation..Have a safe and pleasant trip Sir

It's really not hard to learn, for instance...earl means Oil, unless it' preceded by another word like whup. Whup Earl, would mean Whip Aerial, as in antenna. Easy, isn't it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

A few other things to remember are that many descriptive phrases relate to country labor. Knives are extremely important in the area and people take pride in their ability to properly sharpen them.
A man who can't sharpen a knife i considered retarded or substandard.

An often used phrase is:

There ain't a sharp knife in Forestville.

Translation:

Everyone in Forestville married their sister

Another thing to remember are articles of clothing.

Example:

Tar String

Translation:

An inexpensive belt

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

One last thing are danger signs. While most people at the base of the mountain are fine folks, some, most descendants of that no account George Custer who raided the valley during the war of Northern Aggression, are perverts.

If you hear the phrase:

You got a real purdy mouth boy....shoot him quick and drive away, very fast.

essayons

imported post

peter nap wrote:
It's really not hard to learn, for instance...earl means Oil,
Haha... I spent some time overseas in a truck full of boys from SW virginia. It took me about 15 minutes to figure out what my driver was talking about when he told me he wanted me to check the earl for him.

I also have a standing invitation to head up the holler for a tar far.

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
One last thing are danger signs. While most people at the base of the mountain are fine folks, some, most descendants of that no account George Custer who raided the valley during the war of Northern Aggression, are perverts.
Would you be taken terribly aback if I told you I have a newfound appreciation for the cut of your jib, sir?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I was traveling Friday night to a town called Woodstock in Shenandoah County. I was pulled over in a small town in Shenandoah County called New Marketbecause of suspician of DUI. I hadn't had a drop to drink. I drive a big ol' truck and I wasreading every sign to make sure I wasn't lost while constantly scanning my instrument panel to make sure I wasmaintaining thespeed limit.I have a tendancy to float a little when I read every sign, especially in the mountains on roads I am unfamiliar with; so I don't really have a problem with the officer's reason for checking on me.

Sounds like you handled it cooly and effectively.

The officer was clearly wrong on the point of law. Focus on that in your letter of complaint, stressing your willingness to fully cooperate, even though he was wrong.

Your complaint could very well make it easier on the next guy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Would you be taken terribly aback if I told you I have a newfound appreciation for the cut of your jib, sir?
I'll tell you something that only families that go way back in the area know...and people that read my news:p

When Custer came through it was to destroy all supplies. We didn't have any troops there. Just women and Children and a few old men. He burned and stole everything in sight. Stole a gold watch from us.

Anyway, news was slow in getting around then and it took a few week for Little Bighorn to get to the area. When it did, the entire Shenandoah area had a big party. Some still do there on Custer Is Dead Day.

This is where I was born.
The Shenandoah River was our front yard.

This
Fgrounds.gif

wylde007

imported post

Custer, Sherman, Sheridan, Butler, Grant... their M.O.s were all pretty much the same.

God bless you for keeping the truth alive and for what your ancestors endured.

Also, your "family" home is not too dissimilar from what any good Southron imagines Heaven must be like.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Custer, Sherman, Sheridan, Butler, Grant... their M.O.s were all pretty much the same.

Also, your "family" home is not too dissimilar from what any good Southron imagines Heaven must be like.

I traveled back to Richmond today, but on my way back through Shenandoah County I made sure to read every historical marker I spotted Friday night. There are a pile of historic markers on that stretch of highway.

I was shocked to find out that Union troops from Ohio tore down a hospital inShenandoah to salvage the lumber to build of all things gallows.

I also drove by the historic marker that commemorates the cadets at VMI that were very successful on the battlefield. Capturing a few cannons if I recall.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
wylde007 wrote:

I traveled back to Richmond today, but on my way back through Shenandoah County I made sure to read every historical marker I spotted Friday night. There are a pile of historic markers on that stretch of highway.

I was shocked to find out that Union troops from Ohio tore down a hospital inShenandoah to salvage the lumber to build of all things gallows.

I also drove by the historic marker that commemorates the cadets at VMI that were very successful on the battlefield. Capturing a few cannons if I recall.
Yep, a ton of history and it goes to show that the Government hasn't changed much.
My Great, Great Grandfather enlisted but they sent him home because he had a side business making saltpeter.
That was one of the key ingredients in gunpowder and they thought he was more valuable doing that than on the line. He kept his rifle, a Virginia Manufactury of Arms. (There's a story about them too)...

And I built a copy of it a few years ago.

wylde007

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
The defense of New Market is an impressive feather in the cap of the Cadet Corps. Cadets as young as 15 engaged a numerically superior adversary and made a valiant capture of several guns, even though they were originally intended as a "reserve" line.

The museum and grounds at New Market are some of my favorite in the Commonwealth and well worth the visit if you can make the trip.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
The defense of New Market is an impressive feather in the cap of the Cadet Corps. Cadets as young as 15 engaged a numerically superior adversary and made a valiant capture of several guns, even though they were originally intended as a "reserve" line.

The museum and grounds at New Market are some of my favorite in the Commonwealth and well worth the visit if you can make the trip.
I agree. The NM Museum should be on the must see list.
Williamsburg and Jamestown are interesting and I spend a lot of time in Williamsburg especially with the Gunsmiths....but Virginia was really settled in the foothills and mountains.

The history and culture goes way beyond the war.
Next time you're out that way, you might want to stop by the Dayton, Otterbine area and see how the Mennonites live while there are still some living the old way.

Milbars

imported post

I gotta tell ya Peter, coming from a Michigan boy, those are some real nice pictures. I'd love to live in a place like that for the rest of my days but I married a city girl so some compromises must be made. Looks like a very beautiful area!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Milbars wrote:
I gotta tell ya Peter, coming from a Michigan boy, those are some real nice pictures. I'd love to live in a place like that for the rest of my days but I married a city girl so some compromises must be made. Looks like a very beautiful area!
That's what Old Va is all about Milbars. If we don'r preserve our rural heritage, another generation will see it completely gone.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
SNIP This was clearly wrong. How should I handle this?

Formal,written, harshcomplaint.

With a bit of ridicule thrown in.

As mentioned by theposter above, once demanded, you hadto supply the CHP. You were under no obligation to answer any questions about location (5th Amendment), but since US vs Baker[suP]1[/suP] pretty much lets the cops seize guns during a traffic stop, you might as well have told him where the gun was, or risk being ordered out thevehicle and the vehicle searched.

So, the main point of the complaint will be to slam home thelack of a duty to notify in VA.Maybe also write a little letter to the editor of the New Market newspaper to embarrass them into being a little more professional.

1. US V Baker http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/955287.P.pdf