• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carried a rifle at GMU

simmonsjoe

imported post

nova wrote:
2009-011124 / Suspicious Event. Officers dispatched to the report of a person carrying a rifle into a dormitory. Investigation revealed the student was carrying a pellet rifle into his room in violation of University Policy. No crime was committed, and the weapon was secured by police. (22/Barton)

oops.

Glad it wasn't me! :p
WTF! If no crime was committed WHY WAS THE WEAPON SECURED BY POLICE?!?!

ODA 226

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
nova wrote:
2009-011124 / Suspicious Event. Officers dispatched to the report of a person carrying a rifle into a dormitory. Investigation revealed the student was carrying a pellet rifle into his room in violation of University Policy. No crime was committed, and the weapon was secured by police. (22/Barton)

oops.

A pellet gun isn't a "WEAPON" either!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
nova wrote:
oops.

student was carrying a pellet rifle into his room in violation of University Policy.

Note it did not say that the student objected either.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

The student probably surrendered the pellet gun in hopes of not facing disciplinary action. I haven't heard anything about this so maybe they never bothered to follow through with it. If he/she was expelled for bringing a pellet gun in their dorm it probably would have made the news, at least a short blurb.

At least GMU PD knows the law well enough to not making anything of it. As I've said previously I've OC'd around GMU and passed numerous officers and they don't even look twice. They regularly patrol the surrounding roads and shopping centers around mason including the City of Fairfax just north of campus.

Does anyone know if university police are empowered to enforce university policy that is not law nor in the administrative code?

simmonsjoe

imported post

nova wrote:
The student probably surrendered the pellet gun in hopes of not facing disciplinary action. I haven't heard anything about this so maybe they never bothered to follow through with it. If he/she was expelled for bringing a pellet gun in their dorm it probably would have made the news, at least a short blurb.

At least GMU PD knows the law well enough to not making anything of it. As I've said previously I've OC'd around GMU and passed numerous officers and they don't even look twice. They regularly patrol the surrounding roads and shopping centers around mason including the City of Fairfax just north of campus.

Does anyone know if university police are empowered to enforce university policy that is not law nor in the administrative code?
It is in the administrative code of most universities.