• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on the Capitol steps/grounds

We-the-People

imported post

It's 2:00am and I just got home and checked my mail before writing this. My wife and I departeded Medford at 6:30am yesterday morning. She was CCing her S&W airweight .38spl, I was OCing my S&W 9mm "big" gun and had my KAHR PM9 to CC if when we got there the situation gave me any cause to be concerned about a possible gun grab of the loaded OC weapon (if so, I would OC the unloaded S&W with mag inserted whileCCing the locked and loaded PM9). I was also armed with my handy dandy 17 hour (high quality audio) capacity digital recorder. informative handouts for anyone interested in OC/CC, a printout of all firearms and audio recording ORS's, my "calling cards" with my e-mail and local (Medford) 2A group addy, and my "No gun = No Money" cards.

First stop the corner gas station a quick top off before hitting the road. Of course no problems as I OC there all the time now and we're in the country.

Second stop a rest area on I-5 Northbound, no problems.

Third stop Willamette College, we were trying to find a way to get to a decent parking place for the 9-12 rally. No problems but we just asked directions of a man who turned out to be a math professor. We didn't get out of the car but the convertible top was down and he was on the pax side so he might have seen my OC'd 9mm. Not idea if he did.

4th stop we parked on State street and walked through the park to the 9-12 rally. We were there from 10:20am until about 1:30pm. I had several people talk to me about the OC'd firearm and all were supportive. One mentioned that he CC'd but left it home because he wasn't sure about CCing on the Capitol grounds. Several asked "is that legal" but in a way that was in no way a challenge but more of a "WOW how can I do that". And there were a couple of folks who wanted to shake my hand for "having the (testicular reference)" to OC on the Capitol grounds. Ummm....it's legal!!!!!

I saw zero people protesting the 9-12 rally, zero major media, and only two police officers during our time at the Capitol rally. The first officer was a "non factor" as he was just parked down at the street barricade and it's doubtful he even noticed the holster. The second officer, however, was eyeballing me big time. He was a motorcycle officer and he pulled in past the barricade (the first officer was long gone at that point) and very specifically parked in the sun (when he could have gone 50-75 feet closer or further away and parked in the shade) about 75 feet from my wife and I. He never took his helmet off but between the two of us we kept a constant, discrete, surveillance and it was obvious he was watching me. After something between 5-8 minutes during which I talked with my wife and several other people, he started the bike and departed, never having contacted me. THE PERFECT LEO "non contact investigation" of a MWAG.

About half an hour later the rally wrapped up and we walked back to the car through the park. I was not expecting an LEO contact at that point but was prepared for the possibility. Didn't happen. AN OUTSTANDING NON EVENT.

5th stop, Denny's in Salem. We had a late lunch and talked with about 8 Army reserve guys and gals who came in. My wifes son is active duty and we had some questions about the reserves that he hasn't been able to get straight answers to. One of them asked about the OC and took the offered pamphlet.

6th stop, Gas station somewhere between I-5 and Florence (close to I-5). We neededdrinks and to dispose of our previously consumeddrinks. Oneof the two employees asked "is that legal" and ended up with a pamphlet after a short conversation.

7th stop, Gas station in Coos Bay. While fueling up I met two off duty LEO's on a motorcycle trip FROM CANADA who asked......wait for it....... "is that legal?" So we talked for probably 15 minutes about OC, CC, and such. They said that they weren't allowed to carry at all when off duty and were amazed that a citizen could here in Oregon. Of course then they wanted to know if they could and I had to explain that I only knew what I could do, wasn't a lawyer, and had no idea. But I gave them a pamphlet as a souvenier to show off to their co-workers when they got back to Vancouver BC.

8th stop, Restaurant in Gold Beach. Had dinner with no incident, I don't think even our waitress noticed. On the way out, a guy waiting to be seated asked....you guessed it....."is that legal?". I said "you must be from California" and we had a good chuckle as he was. Next thing I know another guy is asking about OCing and he's from AZ. Then the hostess asks for one of hte pamphlets I had in my hand because she "wanted to get a CHL so she could defend herself". I talked with all of them a bit but didn't want to block the entry and headed outside.

The guy from AZ followed me out and started asking questions. Could HE buy a gun from a private party, did I know anywhere he could buy a private party weapon, etc. I had the heebie jeebies at the first question and told him I had no idea but he could google the ORS and see what it said. He was probably totally legit but I've read horror stories about guys getting nailed for answering such questions and the askee turns out to be some agent of the government. Let's just say I was NOT comfy being asked those questions and wanted back in the car and on my way!!!!!!

Final stop, back to the corner store for smokes and then the three miles to home.

The experience at the Capitol building was great. At first I felt a bit like it was just a matter of minutes before I got to meet an LEO and practice what Ive been rehearsing for weeks. I'm recording audio, no I don't need permission to record, do you have a RAS, am I under arrest, am I being detained, I do not consent...... all but the first used only if needed and hopefully surviving intact and still with my freedom. After the first half hour, my wife and I were comfortable though still on alert for any sign of a problem (to disengage from or an LEO's approach). By the time we left, we figured it must not be as bad as we thought up North and considered going to the Portland airport to try some OC...... JUST KIDDING, NO THANKS.

I guess the efforts, trials and tribulations of those of you in "Indian country" have had an impact and smoothed the way at least in some areas.

JBURGII

imported post

Excellent day! I had to settle with watching the march on Washington with Glenn Beck. I did not get a chance to join any 'Tea Party' events this week.. sigh.. I did OC my .45 during the April 15th event at Gateway though. No problems there, I should get the link to a friends youtube video of the event as I make a cameo for a brief moment.. but there I am (camera adds 10-50 lbs!) but a black jacket with dark jeans and a black holster, black gun.. sigh.. they probably thought it was a leatherman.. HENCE the new S&W .38 spcl.. nickel plated.. mmmm shiny...

I too was able to pass out all of my pamphlets and literature on OC and related subjects at the April 15th event and was pleased by the response. As long as we persist in education and political action while lawfully exercising our rights, the future has a chance!

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

Well since you're able to write that you've been doing that, I guess it's not ALL bad up there. That or there is internet access in the jail. LOL

I wrote an e-mail to the Salem PD asking for verification if they'd known of me and were checking up on me or if my perception of the situation was wrong. It will be interesting to see what they say if I get a reply.

JBURGII

imported post

I have heard that our new Chief here in Junction City is from Salem. No wonder he asked me so many questions about open carry. He said his 'boys' would have taken me down for that activity in his town.. I then mentioned the ensuing legal action and he just grinned.. curious..

I will have to check his history to see if he was full of beans or not.

Rev. Jim

snakeghost

imported post

hey guys, i am new to this site and if i knew about the 9-12 rally, I would gone downtown to the capital and joined everybody! Is there anybody in the Salem area who open carries on a regular basis? would like to know where are good places to open carry and other places to avoid. any info would be great. I have my CHL and I carry a Springfield XD 45 COMPACT for CC but want to start OC and can anybody recommend any holster companies to check out, thanks guys.:D

We-the-People

imported post

snakeghost wrote:
hey guys, i am new to this site and if i knew about the 9-12 rally, I would gone downtown to the capital and joined everybody! Is there anybody in the Salem area who open carries on a regular basis? would like to know where are good places to open carry and other places to avoid. any info would be great. I have my CHL and I carry a Springfield XD 45 COMPACT for CC but want to start OC and can anybody recommend any holster companies to check out, thanks guys.:D

Be prepared with a good (EXCELLENT) knowledge of the law, I carry state law printed out.......at least an audio recorder (and know the rules on that..have to NOTIFY but do not need permission) video recorder held by a non open carrier is even better but THEY need to notify they are recording audio with the video recorder. Then go out and carry. With your CHL it's legal most anywhere but court facilities and federal facilities.......READ READ READ

If you can hook up with a local that would be great but you can do it with proper self education on your own (though a spouse, GF, friend would be nice for "backup").

I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice.....do your research and go for it.

We-the-People

imported post

DenWin wrote:
JBURGII wrote:
HENCE the new S&W .38 spcl.. nickel plated.. mmmm shiny....
I KNEW I wasn't the only one with ferret syndrom ;)
Is that what you call it when no one seems to notice and you just know that the moment you figure that's the "norm" and leave your audio recorder and copy of the laws at home you'll find the one that calls 911 for MWAG and you get to meet the local constabulary totally unprepared?

DenWin

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Is that what you call it when no one seems to notice and you just know that the moment you figure that's the "norm" and leave your audio recorder and copy of the laws at home you'll find the one that calls 911 for MWAG and you get to meet the local constabulary totally unprepared?
It could very well be, but there's only way to :what:OH SHINY!!!!!