• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty holsters at 9/12 march

GirlsWithGuns

imported post

I wore an empty holster at the 9/12 rally yesterday and was stopped twice by LEOs; the first one just asked if I had a weapon and when I replied that I did not he left me alone. The second one, I think he was DHS, tried to make me remove my holster. I think at first that he had intentions of confiscating it, but when I refused to remove it he then changed to asking me to take it off and put it away. Heinformedme that it was against the law to have gun paraphernalia and I said that I didn't have any firearms, magazines or ammunitition and asked him if I was under arrest. He didn't answer and tried to separate me from the group that I was with, both to intimidate me and to get away from the video camera. In the mean time, a DC cop took my picture with his cell phone and then told the crowd that was gathering and demanding that the cops stop harassing me that I was a "threat".

When I still refused to comply with any of the instructions of the DHS officer he finally admitted after being asked 3 times that he was not arresting me. He informed me that he was "pro-gun" but that other cops were not and that if I continued to wear the holster that I might get shot because someone could mistakenly think that I had a gun!

I will post the video when I get it. I am waiting for my friend to return to Texas and then she will send it to me.

(Cross posted on the DC tab under Empty Holsters at 912 rally link http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum16/31423.html)

For full details on this and other experiences at the rally, go to http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum16/31423.html.

I should note that the vast majority of LEOs that we encountered yesterday were helpful and very professional. Over all, the day was a huge success!

GirlsWithGuns

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I was going to but wanted to focus on the larger picture of lees spending, less government, etc.

It was a great experience, wasn't it?

It was a great experience. I just got a call from one of my 147 passengers that he is outraged that the media is reporting that "thousands" attended yesterday!

I figured that the 2A issue was a big part of the big picture, since it was added to the Constitution to keep the gummint honest! Just one girl's humble opinion.:D

wylde007

imported post

Based on the preliminary AERIAL photos being disseminated there could have been no fewer than 2 million people in attendance.

The media is in the government's pocket. The PEOPLE are not... not nearly as many as they would like, anyway.

ADulay

imported post

GirlsWithGuns wrote:
....and that if I continued to wear the holster that I might get shot because someone could mistakenly think that I had a gun!

Say what??? You might get shot because you're wearing a holster? Man, I better watch out then as I wear a holster pretty much all the time! No problems at all and the one time I was actually asked why I was wearing a holster (in a restaurant) I replied that I had to hide the gun in my pocket because open carry wasn't allowed in my state.

I said that if it really bothered him, to think of it as an ugly cell phone holder. Never heard anything after that.

AD

RedKnightt

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Based on the preliminary AERIAL photos being disseminated there could have been no fewer than 2 million people in attendance.

The media is in the government's pocket. The PEOPLE are not... not nearly as many as they would like, anyway.
Link to these photos?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
wylde007 wrote:

Link to these photos?
PLEASE !

Yata hey

tag

imported post

wylde007 wrote:

Proof of that number?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tag wrote:
wylde007 wrote:

Proof of that number?
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10........................... :lol:

Never mind, you count 'em.

Yata hey

Yata hey

tag

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
tag wrote:
Proof of that number?
Proof is in the photos. Draw your own conclusions or shutty.

I don't have any experience in estimating crowd size from photos. I've heard conflicting reports about the size of the crowd (namely that the 2 million estimate is way off). Again, do you have any other evidence than those photos?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The graphic at the top of this USA Today link from January 2009 shows how the Park Police estimate crowds.

Note, though, it is based on 1 person per 2.5 square feet. I don't see that density in the photos that are linked.

I'd really like to find an unbiased estimate, but I don't think we'll see one.

wylde007

imported post

Whatever. I have drawn my conclusions, you draw yours. Every street for ten blocks filled to bursting with people, the national mall teeming.

Eyewitness accounts (no I'm not citing them all, that would be ludicrous) of reliable sources (read: non-government media) describing the sheer volume of attendees...

That's surely more than "thousands" and I really don't see any need to further justify myself to non-believers and suckers. Believe the news reports for all I care.

mkl

imported post

I go to a lot of events/protests in DC. It wasn't 2 million. It wasn't 1 million. The mall was very very sparsely filled west of 4th street. Almost all of the crowd was 3rd street and east. In that area it was PACKED however. The capitol grounds were also very very packed. However, for other events, I have seen the mall packed from 4th street west all the way to 14th street. For inauguration it was packed all the way back to 17th, with large crowds in pockets around jumbotrons all the way back to the lincoln memorial. I have heard inauguration was 1.8-2 million... This crowd was no where near that. Not even close. They had a whole different group set up with speakers, stages tents, on the west side of the mall west of 12th street or so.

That said, I am no crowd estimator, just comparing my experiences at similar events. The liberal media is not trying to downplay the numbers, the numbers just weren't as big as announced at the rally. It was still an awesome turn out with a lot of great folks.

I didn't see anyone with a holster, and I was looking out. I got there and realized I should have worn mine, alas.

A bunch of videos I took are at http://qik.com/mikle
Just to note, the quality isn't great on any of the videos. They were shot from an Iphone and streamed live over 3g, so the video is pretty compressed.

Milbars

imported post

GirlsWithGuns wrote:
When I still refused to comply with any of the instructions of the DHS officer he finally admitted after being asked 3 times that he was not arresting me. He informed me that he was "pro-gun" but that other cops were not and that if I continued to wear the holster that I might get shot because someone could mistakenly think that I had a gun!

So what the guy was saying here is "We have comprehension problems after the years of training that we have and we might shoot you for something that in no way resembles a firearm"?

WOW!

Is it always department policy to shoot first, identify later?

GirlsWithGuns

imported post

Milbars wrote:
GirlsWithGuns wrote:

So what the guy was saying here is "We have comprehension problems after the years of training that we have and we might shoot you for something that in no way resembles a firearm"?

WOW!

Is it always department policy to shoot first, identify later?
It seems that way! I asked him who was going to shoot me since no one is supposed to have guns except law enforcement! Even if there was a gun in the holster, if there was no threatening move they would still be hard pressed to call it justifiable. But an empty holster is pretty distinguishable from one with a pistol in it, at least I have not had a problem making that distinction.