• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lucky Strike Bowling, Bellevue

tai4de2

imported post

I've been to Lucky Strike Bowling in Bellevue a couple of times, but always in the evening, when it functions as basically an over-21 bar and lounge that happens to have some bowling lanes in it. Because of its night club persona, I never paid much attention to which areas were "posted" and which weren't. To comply with state law my firearm has remained locked in my vehicle at all times each time I've been there.

Then a few weeks back I stopped in for a drink in the late afternoon, before a movie. I was seated at the bar and noticed that in the lounge area there were a bunch of children running around. I asked the bar tender whether they allow children "in the bar" and she said that the lounge area (along with the bowling lanes) is only over-21 at night. During the day, only the bar itself is "the bar" and the lounge and bowling lanes are all-ages.

Looking around, I noticed for the first time that only the bar area itself is posted as off-limits to minors. In fact, I now realize that the bar area itself is clearly separated architecturally (by a low wall) from the lounge, and only the bar area proper is posted.

So... it seems clear and unambiguous that firearms are prohibited only in the bar (and not the lounge or other parts of the establishment) during the day time, just like any other restaurant or place that has a bar.

My question is about the situation at night, when the entire place becomes over-21. I know the language in RCW 9.41.300 (1)(d) is very specific. However, does having a bouncer at the front door checking IDs somehow incorporate the entire place into the "portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits?"

Or is this more akin to being in a restaurant, but one which happens to have a certain selective entry policies at certain times in the day?

(Please, no responses about the advisability of carrying while drinking etc. Assume for example I am the designated driver.)

sirpuma

imported post

When they prohibit those under 21 the establishment become off limits to firearms. They are operating their facility in a manner that the State Liqueur Board deems as a 21 and over venue after a certain time, so they restrict minors at night. Therefore the place is off limits to firearms after that time.

joeroket

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
When they prohibit those under 21 the establishment become off limits to firearms. They are operating their facility in a manner that the State Liqueur Board deems as a 21 and over venue after a certain time, so they restrict minors at night. Therefore the place is off limits to firearms after that time.
This is true but they are still required to post signs at entrances warning of the fact that it is off limits to persons under 21. By no posting it there are not in compliance with the Liquor Control Board.

There is a lounge in Lake Stevens that is open to all ages until 9pm, except for the small bar area, and they do post it outside. I have talked to a Lt. with the liquor control board about these establishments and she told me the sign are to be posted on the outside but that they only apply during the times when they restrict persons under 21.

David.Car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
sirpuma wrote:
This is true but they are still required to post signs at entrances warning of the fact that it is off limits to persons under 21. By no posting it there are not in compliance with the Liquor Control Board.

There is a lounge in Lake Stevens that is open to all ages until 9pm, except for the small bar area, and they do post it outside. I have talked to a Lt. with the liquor control board about these establishments and she told me the sign are to be posted on the outside but that they only apply during the times when they restrict persons under 21.

Winner.

Ton of bars around here (Spokane) function in this manner. All ages for 50+% of the establishment until 2100. Then 21+ only.

tai4de2

imported post

Got it. So when the place becomes entirely over-21, it *is* designated by the liquor control board as off-limits to minors, in its entirety.

The issue is simply that it's not posted (for that purpose) correctly.

I have been doing the right thing by not attempting to split hairs over the posting of the bar area, and leaving my firearm in the car.

joeroket

imported post

tai4de2 wrote:
Got it. So when the place becomes entirely over-21, it *is* designated by the liquor control board as off-limits to minors, in its entirety.

The issue is simply that it's not posted (for that purpose) correctly.

I have been doing the right thing by not attempting to split hairs over the posting of the bar area, and leaving my firearm in the car.
You are correct.