• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interested in OCing

cpolanco

imported post

Hey everyone, im 18 and live in San Diego,CA. I was training the other day at the SDPD for the Cadet Program and one of my advisors told me about OC, but he didnt knew much of the facts, and regulations. So i am interested in OC and want to know, how can i start with OC? can I OC, i dont have to be 21? Any help will be appreciated.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

In California it is highly restricted. If you search through the California section you will see how it is.

For instance, the gun must be unloaded everywhere that discharge of firearms is illegal (which is most place people are,) and handguns must be in a locked case when knowingly within 1000 feet of a school with very harsh penalties for violation. This makes it very difficult to carry a handgun in an urban environment. Government buildings are also off limits. If private businesses ask you to leave you also must comply.

This is only a very short synopsis and is far from complete.

You are right though in that you don't have to be 21.

But be sure to read all of the laws very thoroughly yourself before you do anything. I'm not qualified to give legal advice. I don't even live in California but I have UOC'ed there. Mistakes with the law are not very forgiving, especially when you are trying to get into law enforcement.

r6-rider

imported post

un loaded open carry - UOC

from what i know/have heard san diego is one of the better cities in CA for OC as the police are a little bit more down to earth on it. maximus pretty much covered the basics i would just like to add to watch out for school zones (1000 ft rule)

other then that, you can try to talk to the cops about it but they will all tell you the same thing "its stupid, youll get put to the ground at gun point/get detained, its not smart" etc etc

they CAN legally stop you and check to make sure your weapon is unloaded but they are not allowed to run your serial number or further check you. so theres defiantly alot to know when wanting to OC there. thats why i left that state and came to the home of the free:D

chewy352

imported post

Keep an eye on these two posts: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/31772.html http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/31425.html

I highly suggest UOC with a group that has been doing it for awhile the first time. The reason is the laws in Ca are many and can be complicated. PM me if you would like. I am also studying to go into Law enforcement so I have to be careful not to break any laws. So study up and don't trust that others will always be right. I made that mistake and almost got my first felony.

Michael