• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ConfederateSoul Update Thread

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
3 words, way too expensive lol

My piece is a titanium 7 shot .357, I picked it up 2nd hand at GM for $300...

How can it be too expensive when you were walking around with a $1200 Kimber Crimson Carry?

LOL.

The Taurus is a good gun, I'm sure. But you've already learned that a laser-assisted platform is reallllllllly good.

Get a Smith.

:)

ConfederateSoul

imported post

HankT wrote:
ConfederateSoul wrote:
3 words, way too expensive lol

My piece is a titanium 7 shot .357, I picked it up 2nd hand at GM for $300...
How can it be too expensive when you were walking around with a $1200 Kimber Crimson Carry?

LOL.

The Taurus is a good gun, I'm sure. But you've already learned that a laser-assisted platform is reallllllllly good.

Get a Smith.

:)
ROFL ROFL
I never thought of it that way:lol::lol::lol:
The Kimber was supposed to be my last gun related purcharse for quite a while, as per an agreement with my wife. I saved about a half of it on my own and took the rest out ofour much larger than expected tax return.
If I buy another snubby, I want a ruger LCR...

ConfederateSoul

imported post

Hey,I was just looking through the Milwaukee Open Carry Map thread, and i noticed this in the advidory to the Police Officers. This was in the section on gun free school zones.

[align=left]3. The officer must reasonably suspect that the person[/align]
[align=left]is committing, has committed or is about to[/align]
[align=left]commit a crime. This quantum is not the same as[/align]
[align=left]probable cause to arrest; it is less than that, but[/align]
[align=left]more than "mere suspicion."[/align]
So, unless I am reading something wrong, they can't stop you, even when armed in a school zone, if they don't believe you are comitting a crime? But then, even being in a SZ with a gun is a crime, so I'm a little confused on this one....

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
Hey,I was just looking through the Milwaukee Open Carry Map thread, and i noticed this in the advidory to the Police Officers. This was in the section on gun free school zones.

[align=left]3. The officer must reasonably suspect that the person[/align]

[align=left]is committing, has committed or is about to
[/align]

[align=left]commit a crime. This quantum is not the same as
[/align]

[align=left]probable cause to arrest; it is less than that, but
[/align]

[align=left]more than "mere suspicion."[/align]

[align=left]So, unless I am reading something wrong, they can't stop you, even when armed in a school zone, if they don't believe you are comitting a crime? But then, even being in a SZ with a gun is a crime, so I'm a little confused on this one....
[/align]

What you quoted above is what's needed to conduct a Terry stop; it's often reffered to as RAS (Reasonable Articuable Suspicion). It shouldn't be construed tobe directly related with the GFSZ.

If they believe; for instance,that a person is within a SZ and can see that person is carrying a firearm, they have RAS to stop and question you. Fromwhat I understand, from there they can take possession of your fiream as well without violating 4A jurisprudence.

AaronS

imported post

I think you might be reading to much into that. If you are in a SZ (OC), and I cop saw you, he/she would have seen you break the law. So it would fall into the "is committing" a crime (in this case a Class I Felony). After that, I am not even sure if you would retain the right to own guns (does a class I felony take that right away?)

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
I think you might be reading to much into that. If you are in a SZ (OC), and I cop saw you, he/she would have seen you break the law. So it would fall into the "is committing" a crime (in this case a Class I Felony). After that, I am not even sure if you would retain the right to own guns (does a class I felony take that right away?)
If convicted and upheld on appeal, violating the GFSZ statute will make you a FELON and banned for LIFE from owning a firearm. They did this for a reason. A good lawyer might be able to get the statute struck as being unconstitutional, but you are playingRussian roelletwith a felony to do it.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
AaronS wrote:
If convicted and upheld on appeal, violating the GFSZ statute will make you a FELON and banned for LIFE from owning a firearm. They did this for a reason. A good lawyer might be able to get the statute struck as being unconstitutional, but you are playingRussian roelletwith a felony to do it.
Absolutely KEY.

ConfederateSoul

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Seems they have planned all of these laws for the same possible outcome.

yeah, the deck is pretty well stacked against us,huh? God bless Wisconsin :banghead:

(I really wish we had the icon of the puking smily,lol)

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Kohl's measure prohibits possession of a gun within a thousand feet of the outer perimeter of a school's property -- typically a gun ban zone of a diameter of about one half a mile. The limited exceptions include on-duty policemen (not when they are off duty)

Isn't that interesting? maybe we should all start watching off duty police officers a little more closely. When one is seen with a fire arm in a school zone, call 911 and insist that charges be brought against the individual.

Senator Kohl got the Congress to make it virtually impossible to legally pass through most cities and towns in the U.S. with a firearm.

Until members of Congress fear their constituents more than they do now, we can expect the Congress to continue to knuckle under to the frenetic cries of "we must protect women and children" as the excuse for passing more restrictions.
Feeling the Heat

Everett Dirksen, the late Republican Senate Minority Leader, was fond of saying "When I feel the heat, I see the light." At present, the Congress is unable to see the light. They need to feel the heat. Those who wish to live under the Constitution and enjoy the freedom and liberty it is supposed to protect, must regain the zeal for liberty that filled the breasts of the founders of our Republic.

I think it is time we start making them "Feel the Heat." We need to campaign against any anti that is running for office in the next election. Make them sqerm and then make then file for unemployment!

tomm1963

imported post

J.Gleason wrote
Isn't that interesting? maybe we should all start watching off duty police officers a little more closely. When one is seen with a fire arm in a school zone, call 911 and insist that charges be brought against the individual.

Police would likely argue they are "always on duty". Interesting though, I regularly have an armed uniformed off duty leo on the playground right along side me waiting to pick up our kids.

State Statute 948.605(2)(b)6.
6. By a law enforcement officer or state-certified commission warden acting in his or her official capacity; or

Oh boy could I make a stink.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

McX wrote:
I have heard there is a catch 22 for us in Racine County. You may be able to Open Carry, but there's a law; No discharging a weapon allowed in Racine County. So if your forced to defend, you still run afoul of the law.

Technically yes, but not according to the US Supreme Court. SCOTUS overturned the DC gun ban in DC v. Heller.

Starting on Page 61 and going on to page 62:

A broader point about the laws that JUSTICE BREYER cites: All of them punished the discharge (or loading) of guns with a small fine and forfeiture of the weapon (or in a few cases a very brief stay in the local jail), not with significant criminal penalties.29 They are akin to modern penalties for minor public-safety infractions like speeding not contain exceptions for self-defense, it is inconceivable that the threat of a jaywalking ticket would deter someone from disregarding a “Do Not Walk” sign in order to flee an attacker, or that the Government would enforce those laws under such circumstances. Likewise, we do not think that a law imposing a 5-shilling fine and forfeiture of the gun would have prevented a person in the founding era from using a gun to protect himself or his family from violence, or that if he did so the law would be enforced against him.

So although they have a local ordinance restricting discharge, I would submit that SCOTUS has already ruled that you should not be charged with that ordinance violation should it necessary to discharge in self defense.

4sooth

imported post

These acts fall under the doctrine of "competing harms" which weighs the actions of the accused and if one act---the saving of life-- outweighs a lessor offense such as discharging a firearm in the city limits, then "no harm done."

ConfederateSoul

imported post

OK, forgive me if this is a double post, as far as i can tell, my post never showed up.

Mr. Monroe quoted me $5,000 to take the case and all appeals. If we go to the US Supreme Court it will be more. I have to discuss the cost with my wife, and if anyone knows any details of setting up a legal defense fund, please share.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:

Thanks for the update.

I don't remember where this all happened but if it was in Milwaukee it may be to your advantage to transpose the homicides over the last year with the school zone map. It would be some good ammo for court even if it didn't happen there.

If you are getting charged with the federal version you may end up in federal court but if you are being charged with the state version AFAIK, it shouldn't go that far. The defense is on state constitutional grounds correct?