Thread: Someone busted for OC, I think, in Reno

Post imported post

I do not have all the details of this incident, let me make that abundantly clear before I even start...

We had just left Target and stopped at Taco Bell. Sorry, I don't know which one, but it's right across from Target. We were at the Target in Reno (S. Virginia???) so if there's more than one, sorry again, I don't drive so I'm still earning my way around from the passengers seat here!

Anyway, long story short, at Taco Bell, cops had a guy sitting on the curb in cuffs and he had an empty holster on his right hip. There was a handgun (sorry, didn't get close enough to check out the make/model) laying on the hood of the cop car and a wallet with all it's contents removed next to the gun. I was not carrying and had the kids with me so we just went in.

I asked the clerk what was going on and he said (and I quote) "Oh that guy came in here with a gun." OK, I'm thinking maybe it was an attempted robbery or the guy was brandishing it or what.. So I asked one more question "what did he do?" and the response was almost deffining.. "Oh, nothing, uh, I think. But he had a gun on him, so you know, uh, hahaha we uh, called the police".

I was in shock for a second, made the simple statement of "Ah, I see. But I didn't see any signs on the door that said no guns allowed." and finished my order and went about my business. When I left a made a point to walk out the other door and back by the first door just to see if there were any signs, and I did not see anything saying no guns.

Like I said, I had the family with me so I did not push the issue any furter and nobody in Taco Bell was any the wiser that I knew they were in the wrong. When I left, the cops and the guy with the gun were gone and because of the layout of their dining room, I could not see if they took him to jail or let him go.

However, next time I go to that Taco Bell (if there is a next time) you can bet that I will be openly carrying when I do.

Anyone else catch any of this while it was happening?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Interesting. I think we've all learned that OC can sometimes result in police being called. And police do respond to MWAG calls. So the next question becomes was this person busted FOR open carrying or WHILE open carrying?

Obviously just speculation at this point, but any number of things could have occurred. Maybe a felon? Or didn't realize a 10 year old domestic violence misdemeanor excluded him? Or anything. Anyway, unless he was busted FOR open carrying, just goes to show that cooperating can have not-too-good results.

Is there an echo in here? Cops investigating you for ANY REASON, just shut the hell up.

Post imported post

Oh I agree totally... In most cases, the less you give them to work with, the better your chances are...

Sadly, I don't have all the details and unless it's in tomorrow's paper, I probably won't, but it was note worthy.

Post imported post

I'm worried it's one of the regulars... No evidence to prove why I feel that why, just do.

Felid hasn't been online since noonish, and he's attended OC events at Taco Bell before. :shock:

Post imported post

Concidering there was a Gun Blogger's Rendezvous in Reno this past weekend (with some very powerful attorney's in attendance) they very well have poked a bear they can't handle.

Post imported post

Well, Felid is not all that tall (about 5'6 or so as I remember) and a very young looking youngster. Does that match the description? The Reno DA is very pro-carry, so I'm a bit surprised to hear about the Reno PD being involved. I'd bet there was something else going on.

Post imported post

iSharpShooter wrote:
    ISo I asked one more question "what did he do?" and the response was almost deffining.. "Oh, nothing, uh, I think. But he had a gun on him, so you know, uh, hahaha we uh, called the police".

Do these people not know the law in Nevada? Do the cops not know the law in Nevada? Hahahah... Really? 10-1 this pogues from Kommiefornia.

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    The Reno DA is very pro-carry, so I'm a bit surprised to hear about the Reno PD being involved. I'd bet there was something else going on.
    So do I. I live in Reno, was open-carrying this weekend in a number of places (the regional firearms range, couple of restaurants, Whole Foods grocery store, etc.), and nobody blinked an eye. I've got my CFP (CCW), but probably carry openly at least 25% of the time. It is rare that anybody mentions it, and when they do, usually it's with approval. I've had a couple of questions, but of the curious type rather than hostile, and was happy to answer them. (It probably helps that I'm female, middle aged, and don't look threatening.) :-)

It's possible this guy had done nothing and the PD overreacted, but I don't think the Reno PD would normally cuff someone just for carrying openly.

Post imported post

Yeah, I just don't know, and I didn't see anything in the papers this morning, so maybe we'll see it later, maybe not.

I'm 5'6" and this guy looked from a distance, taller than I.

Post imported post

Is there any way to call Reno PD or the Taco Bell to get information? Either one would probably know...

Activist Member

Post imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
    I'm worried it's one of the regulars...* No evidence to prove why I feel that why, just do.

Felid hasn't been online since noonish, and he's attended OC events at Taco Bell before.* :shock:
    It wasn't me. I OC at taco bell a lot and have never had an issue there.