• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Story of 12031 check, mostly respectful

Opencarry Larry

imported post

So I decided to run off to Home Depot this afternoon for some errands but upon trying to re-enter my truck, I realized the key had broken off in the ignition, disabling me from entering my truck. Worse yet (or was it better?) I was wearing my service 9mm and a loaded magazine in the opposing pouch. Seeing this to be a fine time to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights, I realized that I was still in California and had to figure out all the necessary legal obstacles.I was (and currently still am) unclear with public transportation and taxi cab travel while carrying and I was in no mood to challenge the law (being sick for the last 3 days, I didn't really feel like a trip downtown if I accidentally overlooked some of their rules) so I used my GPS to check on school zones and discovered that I must walk another 2.2 miles out of the way in order to adhere to these guidelines.

I had just climbed to the top of a hill on my 6.25 mile walk home to retrieve my keys, breathless and nearly expired when a patrol car passed by. Seconds later another patrol car passed. I heard it slow down behind me and the sirens chirped as it came to a stop. I threw my arms out to the sides (not up, I'm not going to look even TALLER than I already am). "Keep your hands where I can see them!" was his stern order. I had half a mind to make a Napoleon Dynamite flying bird impersonation, but his lack of smile kept my heart beating at a worried tempo.
"Is there anything wrong officer?" I asked, smiling confidently and keeping my hands far away from my weapon. He then asked me if I always carry a gun, and I said with a nonchalant "No, but I've got a funny story." I continued, "My key busted off in my ignition, so rather than leaving my firearm in the truck, I opted to carry it, and since the lockbox weighs 11lbs, the only legal way to transport it was walking with it open for all to see."

"Is the gun loaded?" barked the concerned police officer. "Currently, no sir, it is not." "Alright, just sit tight until backup arrives" (he chatters something into the radio) "Do you have any warrants?" The officer asked as the second car rolled up. "No sir, I am not a prohibit person. It would be insanely stupid for me to be open carrying if I have any blemishes on my record." The officer nodded and smiled in agreeing.

Backup arrived; an officer with braces came up and asked me what I was doing. I said "Walking." He asked where, I replied with a general wave in the direction of the road. "That way." "And where are you coming from?" He asked, notepad out and jotting down everything I said (or didn't say) "Over there, my truck's key broke off in the ignition and I didn't want to leave my pistol. I'm sure you fellows understand."

Two other patrol cars arrived and I became I was out mobbed by a wall of badges, at least 5-6 officers were present. The original police asked if I was part of "...that open-carry dot org group..." to which Ireplied that I had no affiliation with any group. I am an American, and the Second Amendment guarantees my right to bear arms."

"Well sir, "said the original police. We are going to have to do a check to see if it is loaded. I can't recall the exact wording, but I answered "I will comply with all ORDERS" and then corrected their laymen's terms and said, "Oh, a 12031 check, sure, to be on my way." I turned around and placed my hands on my head so they could ATTEMPT at retrieving my weapon from its snug holster. "Have you done this before?" one officer asked. I said no, and had he? He answered no (with a laugh). They struggled with the holster and asked if it had any retention clips (I said no, but it's designed for no one but me to draw the gun out except for myself). They pulled my gun out, checked the magazine (empty) and chamber (also empty) and put it on the dash board of a patrol car and started asking questions into the radio.

The second he put it down onto the car I raised my voice "Is there a problem with my firearm, sir?" He said "No" andthat he was looking at buying a 9mm and was looking at the model number (I didn't want to tell him the serial number was on the BOTTOM, not where he claimed he was looking for model description) My 9mm is a Honda to his current Camaro, What the heck interest does he have he possibly have in an undeniably inferior firearm? The other officer seemed to be trying to cover for his buddy and said they were unsure if I could have an empty magazine in the gun, to which I said that it was not illegal. I asked if there was any law I was breaking because I really would like to be on my way. Officer BraceFace leaned over and whispered something in the other officer's ear and an interest in running the serial number were expressed, at which point I chirped up and said "Sir, I haven't broken any laws and there is no probable cause which suggests that I am, have been or am going to break the law. Under these guidelines, I don't believe you have probable cause. Remember sir, it MUST be reasonable, articulablesuspicion." After this, my gun became a hot potato that no one wanted to touch. They tried to give it back to me but being surrounded by police it was rather difficult to retrieve my weapon. As such, I lifted my hands and leaned my hip over for him to return my firearm but since this officer doubted his ability to insert the firearm (following his inability to effectively draw it) back into my holster, he assured me it was ok to put my hands on it and thus I put my gun back into the holster.

Immediately after I put my gun away, thebracesofficer asked "Do you mind if I ask for your ID?" (Ah, a tricky fellow, he knew that I had done no wrong and I should have been on my way)."Is there a law that forces me to relinquish my identification if I haven't committed a crime?" I challenged. "There is no law that forces you to relinquish your ID if you have not committed a crime."(He repeated with a partial sigh of impatience, hehe). He then asked again "So, do you mind if I ask for your ID?" "Sir, I do mind, as you just stated that I am not doing anything wrong, and it is my right to be right here right now and I have cooperated in all of the ways I feel are needed to carry out a 12031 check. Am I free to go?""Yes, you are, thank you for your compliance.""And thank you for your time; I'm glad it's been a learning experience for you. Good day"

I didn't remember to ask for THEIR ID, as it IS our right to be able to identify THEM. They are PUBLIC SERVANTS, serving US, the legal tax payers! Next time all, next time.

I know I did a few things wrong, but I was very impressed by their knowledge and that I very well could be recording their proceedings. I stood by most of my rights, with the exception of cooperating with their requests, but sometimes a little honey calms the bees down. I informed them of the law when they were hazy, and managed to leave without them cussing under their breath about "radical gun activist nuts". I smiled a lot, but most of them were not completely genuine, except when they showed hits of being human. Great experience, no regrets.

OK, some question/comments/concerns.

1) Where was this and which PD was involved? I don't know. Being sick fogged my head

2) Things that went wrong.

a) When the sirens chirp, don't throw your arms out. You aren't doing anything illegal and for all you know, they could be stopping a drug addict walking behind you. Until you are ORDERED to do so, don't raise/levitate your hands/arms. Doing so without provocation shows guilt and you have nothing to be guilty for.

b)Do not tell them where you came from, where you are going to or why you are there, even if it is a general direction. Just say "Somewhere", "Someplace", etc. Remember, they are there to try to arrest you.

c) Do not help them in any way with pulling your weapon.By me allowing them to struggle with it, it dashed their mighty image and showed they were human, just for a second.

d)Good job on denying ID and sticking your ground with the serial number thingy.

e) You need a voice recorder if you are going to carry. No exceptions!

Opencarry Larry

imported post

Thanks x2! Its so amazing how it could have gone had I notknown/exercised my rights. Thanks for the support!

Opencarry Larry

imported post

Thanks for the advice, I was the only one not going to the Dave Matthews Band Concert cause I was sick, so all my friends were in the process of arival. I usualy open-carry with my sister and her friends, but again, dave matttews. Could have I taken a taxi? Bus? Trolly? I most certainly wasnt gonna ask the police for a ride~!

GunPride

imported post

Wow....I'm sure you were probably sweating like a pig! Thinking what is going on?? Even though it's your right toopen carry,Law Enforcement have the right to ask for identification to identify who you are and make sure you can "legally" carry it. Now if you don't want to give them your ID that is another story, but If notevery felon would carry agun and state "It'smy right to carry and I don't have to give you any ID!" and then where would be...Our country would not be safe! Maybe the Law Enforcement Officers hadn't had the experience with "Open Carry" individuals. And what I have heard, Law Enforcement Officers don't have the right to check the serial numbers on the gununless there's probable cause to check.I don't know how Law Enforcement found out that you were carrying or if they just saw you walking with the gun on your hip, but I'm pretty sure they have every right tocheck who you are. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't push foward to get your ID,musthave been theirinexperience in dealing with the opencarry law. Even though you were just walking doing nothing, the general public and Law Enforcement Officers don't know who you are and in today's society(w/people going "postal") it might bekind of scary to seea guy carrying a gun in public. Anyway, I can't wait to get my gun!!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

You did an outstanding job here. It sounds like you walked the fine line of protecting your rights while allowing the police to do their job. Bravo!

You can certainly take a taxi providing that he doesn't drive through a school zone unless you've locked up. A bus might cause more problems for you. It might be perfectly legal for you to carry on a bus but the police response might have been more crazy.

pullnshoot25

imported post

GunPride wrote:
Wow....I'm sure you were probably sweating like a pig! Thinking what is going on?? Even though it's your right toopen carry,Law Enforcement have the right to ask for identification to identify who you are and make sure you can "legally" carry it. Now if you don't want to give them your ID that is another story, but If notevery felon would carry agun and state "It'smy right to carry and I don't have to give you any ID!" and then where would be...Our country would not be safe! Maybe the Law Enforcement Officers hadn't had the experience with "Open Carry" individuals. And what I have heard, Law Enforcement Officers don't have the right to check the serial numbers on the gununless there's probable cause to check.I don't know how Law Enforcement found out that you were carrying or if they just saw you walking with the gun on your hip, but I'm pretty sure they have every right tocheck who you are. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't push foward to get your ID,musthave been theirinexperience in dealing with the opencarry law. Even though you were just walking doing nothing, the general public and Law Enforcement Officers don't know who you are and in today's society (w/people going "postal") it might bekind of scary to seea guy carrying a gun in public. Anyway, I can't wait to get my gun!!
They can ask but they cannot demand nor seize. See any of my videos or any of my IA writeups for more information.

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com (Videos link on the right hand side)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

GunPride wrote:
Wow....I'm sure you were probably sweating like a pig! Thinking what is going on?? Even though it's your right toopen carry,Law Enforcement have the right to ask for identification to identify who you are and make sure you can "legally" carry it. Now if you don't want to give them your ID that is another story, but If notevery felon would carry agun and state "It'smy right to carry and I don't have to give you any ID!" and then where would be...Our country would not be safe! Maybe the Law Enforcement Officers hadn't had the experience with "Open Carry" individuals. And what I have heard, Law Enforcement Officers don't have the right to check the serial numbers on the gununless there's probable cause to check.I don't know how Law Enforcement found out that you were carrying or if they just saw you walking with the gun on your hip, but I'm pretty sure they have every right tocheck who you are. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't push foward to get your ID,musthave been theirinexperience in dealing with the opencarry law. Even though you were just walking doing nothing, the general public and Law Enforcement Officers don't know who you are and in today's society (w/people going "postal") it might bekind of scary to seea guy carrying a gun in public. Anyway, I can't wait to get my gun!!
Sounds like you need the waiting period to brush up on your legal knowledge. What law says you have to even own an ID card (let alone possess one at all times)?

(Please realize my jabs are half-jest; I realize inflection doesn't communicate well in writing. I can't think of a single person here who hasn't at one point repeated gun-shop FUD and then had to eat crow when they couldn't provide a factual citation.)

The first thing you must learn is that everything you know is wrong. Next, start from scratch and build a factual knowledge base. KNOW the laws you're required to abide by; KNOW your rights and all the things you do not have to do.

wewd

imported post

GunPride wrote:
Wow....I'm sure you were probably sweating like a pig! Thinking what is going on?? Even though it's your right to open carry, Law Enforcement have the right to ask for identification to identify who you are and make sure you can "legally" carry it. Now if you don't want to give them your ID that is another story, but If not every felon would carry a gun and state "It's my right to carry and I don't have to give you any ID!"  and then where would be... Our country would not be safe! Maybe the Law Enforcement Officers hadn't had the experience with "Open Carry" individuals. And what I have heard, Law Enforcement Officers don't have the right to check the serial numbers on the gun unless there's probable cause to check. I don't know how Law Enforcement found out that you were carrying or if they just saw you walking with the gun on your hip,  but I'm pretty sure they have every right to check who you are. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't push foward to get your ID, must have been their inexperience in dealing with the open carry law.  Even though you were just walking doing nothing, the general public and Law Enforcement Officers don't know who you are and in today's society (w/ people going "postal") it might be kind of scary to see a guy carrying a gun in public. Anyway, I can't wait to get my gun!! 

The police can ask you any question they want (for the most part), but you have the right to refuse to answer them, unless you are legally required to. In the state of California, you are not required to carry identification, or to surrender identification on demand, or to even verbally identify yourself to police. You can choose to do so, at your own peril, but you have the right not to.

The police, however, do not have the right to detain you any longer than it takes to determine the loaded state of your weapon. That should reasonably last all of 15 seconds. They do not have the right to detain you in order to call in the serial number. That would, in almost every case, constitute an unlawful search and seizure of your property, and would violate your fourth amendment protection. They also do not have the right to draw down on you, to cuff you (a de facto arrest), to disarm you (except incidentally as part of a loaded check), or to even pat you down. Unless they have a reasonable, articulable suspicion that you are both armed AND dangerous, they have no cause to search your person for concealed weapons. Even if the cops suspect that you may be dangerous, they must be able to articulate reasonable facts that support their suspicion. Simply being armed is not probable cause to believe that someone is also dangerous.

Any time someone is open carrying, as long as it is not in a prohibited area, and the carrier is not acting in a threatening or otherwise unlawful manner, the police only have the right to demand to briefly inspect the carrier's weapon to determine if it is loaded or unloaded, and if the weapon is unloaded, they are to be discharged to go about their lawful business. The law does not permit the police to demand anything else, or to assume anything else, and any detainment beyond a reasonable time to inspect the weapon is an unreasonable detainment.

Old Timer

imported post

Opencarry Larry wrote:
I didn't remember to ask for THEIR ID, as it IS our right to be able to identify THEM. They are PUBLIC SERVANTS, serving US, the legal tax payers! Next time all, next time.
[/quote]
California Peace Officers are required to wear name plates (usually above their right shirt pocket) with at least their first initial and last name. They are also required to have a badge with a number clearly visible (usually in the center at the bottom of the badge). Both were visible to you so no additional ID ofthemselves is required.

1) Where was this and which PD was involved? I don't know. Being sick fogged my head.
If you were still in Lemon Grove it was SDSO. If you were not, just look at the uniform. Tan shirt over green pants = SDSO. Blue uniform = SDPD. All tan uniform =LaMesa PD.

Opencarry Larry

imported post

Old Timer wrote:
1) Where was this and which PD was involved? I don't know. Being sick fogged my head.
(If you were still in Lemon Grove it was SDSO. If you were not, just look at the uniform. Tan shirt over green pants = SDSO. Blue uniform = SDPD. All tan uniform =LaMesa PD.)
[/quote]
I was walking on Campo road, possibly technically Spring Valley. Im pretty sure I overheard "all available units" so some I believe were Sheriffs, yet I was close enough to the trolley station for one of them to respond as well.I don't believe they were called by civilians, I think the one officer just spotted it as he drove past.

GunPride

imported post

wewd wrote:
GunPride wrote:
Wow....I'm sure you were probably sweating like a pig! Thinking what is going on?? Even though it's your right toopen carry,Law Enforcement have the right to ask for identification to identify who you are and make sure you can "legally" carry it. Now if you don't want to give them your ID that is another story, but If notevery felon would carry agun and state "It'smy right to carry and I don't have to give you any ID!" and then where would be...Our country would not be safe! Maybe the Law Enforcement Officers hadn't had the experience with "Open Carry" individuals. And what I have heard, Law Enforcement Officers don't have the right to check the serial numbers on the gununless there's probable cause to check.I don't know how Law Enforcement found out that you were carrying or if they just saw you walking with the gun on your hip, but I'm pretty sure they have every right tocheck who you are. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't push foward to get your ID,musthave been theirinexperience in dealing with the opencarry law. Even though you were just walking doing nothing, the general public and Law Enforcement Officers don't know who you are and in today's society(w/people going "postal") it might bekind of scary to seea guy carrying a gun in public. Anyway, I can't wait to get my gun!!

The police can ask you any question they want (for the most part), but you have the right to refuse to answer them, unless you are legally required to. In the state of California, you are not required to carry identification, or to surrender identification on demand, or to even verbally identify yourself to police. You can choose to do so, at your own peril, but you have the right not to.

The police, however, do not have the right to detain you any longer than it takes to determine the loaded state of your weapon. That should reasonably last all of 15 seconds. They do not have the right to detain you in order to call in the serial number. That would, in almost every case, constitute an unlawful search and seizure of your property, and would violate your fourth amendment protection. They also do not have the right to draw down on you, to cuff you (a de facto arrest), to disarm you (except incidentally as part of a loaded check), or to even pat you down. Unless they have a reasonable, articulable suspicion that you are both armed AND dangerous, they have no cause to search your person for concealed weapons. Even if the cops suspect that you may be dangerous, they must be able to articulate reasonable facts that support their suspicion. Simply being armed is not probable cause to believe that someone is also dangerous.

Any time someone is open carrying, as long as it is not in a prohibited area, and the carrier is not acting in a threatening or otherwise unlawful manner, the police only have the right to demand to briefly inspect the carrier's weapon to determine if it is loaded or unloaded, and if the weapon is unloaded, they are to be discharged to go about their lawful business. The law does not permit the police to demand anything else, or to assume anything else, and any detainment beyond a reasonable time to inspect the weapon is an unreasonable detainment.
Thanks.....for the information "WEWD" and "CA Libertarian"! CA Libertarian you almost knocked me down with those half Jabs. haha but thanks for all the info and I will look more into that law.

GunPride

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
GunPride wrote:
Sounds like you need the waiting period to brush up on your legal knowledge. What law says you have to even own an ID card (let alone possess one at all times)?

(Please realize my jabs are half-jest; I realize inflection doesn't communicate well in writing. I can't think of a single person here who hasn't at one point repeated gun-shop FUD and then had to eat crow when they couldn't provide a factual citation.)

The first thing you must learn is that everything you know is wrong. Next, start from scratch and build a factual knowledge base. KNOW the laws you're required to abide by; KNOW your rights and all the things you do not have to do.
Thanks.....for the information "WEWD" and "CA Libertarian"! CA Libertarian you almost knocked me down with those half Jabs. haha but thanks for all the info and I will look more into that law

GunPride

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
GunPride wrote:
They can ask but they cannot demand nor seize. See any of my videos or any of my IA writeups for more information.

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com (Videos link on the right hand side)
Thanks for the info.....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wewd wrote:

Cites, please.

From the forum rules:

7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbant upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when avaiable,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

New guys, registered and lurkers, benefit from the cites because they can then read the law for themselves, incuding nuances and exceptions that can get lost in translation.