• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Beach women shot dead on beach

glock23

imported post

Long Beach woman shot dead on beach; Oregon man held for first-degree murder

HTTP://www.chinookobserver.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=1&articleID=30370&Q=31846.08
Web Posted 9/12/2009 2:32:00 PM
East Oregonian Publishing Group
Article :

Updated: Sunday at 2:43 p.m. p.m.
LONG BEACH, Wash. - Police officers watched a man on the crowded beach approach in Long Beach fire a gun and then toss it into the dune grass Friday.

After they arrested him, they made a grisly discovery - the body of a woman nearby.

She had been shot multiple times.

Now more details have emerged since the first announcement of the death, which happened in daylight as thousands of people poured into Long Beach for the annual Rod Run weekend.

The dead woman was named Saturday as Lisa G. Bonney, 45, of Long Beach. She was the mother of two teenage daughters. Her name had been withheld overnight until her family could be informed.

The man who was arrested was named as Brian K. Brush, 47, of Roseburg. He was interrogated then transported to the Pacific County Jail in South Bend, Wash., where he is being held without bail, charged with first-degree murder.

The earliest he will be arraigned in Pacific County Superior Court will be Monday.

Details about Brush's background appear in the archives of the News-Review newspaper in Roseburg.

Brush is known to law enforcement agencies in Oregon. The FBI has investigated him and a business he owns, North River Boats Inc., for allegations of wire fraud earlier this year, according to the News-Review. There are reportedly several lawsuits pending against the company in Douglas County and elsewhere.

The shooting happened in daylight in one of the busiest parts of Long Beach, which is swollen with several thousand visitors during Rod Run.

Chief Flint Wright said three Long Beach police officers were on routine patrol on the Bolstad Beach Approach about 4:40 p.m. Friday when they saw the man about 150 yards away. Scores of other people were on the beach at the time and many called 9-1-1 when they saw the gunman.

"It's tragic," said Wright, told the News-Review. The officers heard a noise and saw the man fire downward. He then threw the gun on to the ground when he saw the officers approaching. They took the man into custody without a struggle.

Then they saw the woman's body.

"It was not until they had him apprehended that they found her," he told the Roseburg newspaper.

Wright said Brush and Bonney were an on-again, off-again couple, but were not living together. Brush is from Roseburg but has a house in Long Beach.

The crime scene - which is right at the center of town -- was secured with help from officers from the Washington State Patrol, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Pacific County Sheriff's Department. Detectives from the Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Department also assisted.

http://www.chinookobserver.com

WOW!! this hits close to home.. I could have been near this when it happend

glock23

imported post

UPDATE

LONG BEACH, Wash. -- A Roseburg man shot and killed his estranged girlfriend Friday in a coastal town in southwest Washington, police said.

Three Long Beach (Wash.) police officers were in the area of the Bolstad Beach Approach when they witnessed Brian Brush fire the gun into the grass on the edge of the approach, said Chief Flint Wright in a police news release.

Upon seeing the officers approaching, Brush threw the gun on the ground, police said. Police then found 45-year-old Lisa Bonney, who lives in Long Beach, dead from apparent gunshot wounds.

Brush was taken into custody without incident.

Witnesses said Brush wanted Bonney to get into his truck. When she started to walk away, Brush grabbed a shotgun from his truck and shot her, the witnesses said.

The officers were about 150 yards away from the shooter at the time of the incident, Wright said. Numerous 911 calls were made after the shooting.

Brush owns North River Boats, Inc., in southern Oregon. He was the target of an FBI fraud investigation earlier this year.

Detectives said Bonney and Brush had an on-again, off-again relationship.

Agent 47

imported post

This is why I never bother to carry a gun while in a public place
Like a beach with lots of cops around because of course they will
Protect me from being harmed so why should anyone feal the need
to carry a gun ?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Definitely...goof with a gun....

Somebody needed to take that goof's gunsaway from him...

Sad.

bilde
bilde

Brush murder case: Shooting victim feared for her life

September 14, 2009

Marissa Harshman

The News-Review,
The woman Brian K. Brush allegedly murdered in broad daylight Friday had filed a restraining order in late July, saying she feared Brush would kill her, according to court documents.

Lisa G. Bonney, 45, filed for a protection order July 29 following a violent outburst by Brush days before. According to documents filed with South Pacific District Court in Long Beach, Wash., where the victim lived, Brush broke a wine bottle on the counter near Bonney and smashed a wooden chair into the back of the sofa on which she was sitting.

“I was thinking, ‘Oh my God, he's going to kill me,'” Bonney wrote in the petition for a protection order.

The petition also lists four other incidents in which Brush “exhibited rage” and destroyed Bonney's property. In one incident in September 2008, Brush allegedly beat Bonney's car with a hammer and threatened to harm her with the tool, according to court documents.

In an e-mail written by Brush and submitted to the court in support of the protection order, Brush tells members of his family, Bonney and her children that he feels like he is out of control.

“I am scared, lonely, and I need help,” he wrote in the July 26 e-mail. “I can't control myself and my feelings of anger. I am out of control, and I have no idea why. ... I have crash landed.”

Brush goes on to ask for forgiveness from those in his family whom he has hurt.

“Why do I lie. Why do I hate myself. I know what I am doing is wrong but I can't stop,” he wrote. “... I want to change myself but I can't and this scares me.”

A letter written by Brush's ex-wife, Tammie Brush of Roseburg, was also submitted to the court in support of the protection order. In the letter dated July 29, Tammie Brush wrote that she filed for divorce from Brush when he threatened to kill her. Their divorce was finalized May 15, 2008.

“I truly believe that Brian Brush is capable of killing someone and that his rage is uncontrollable,” Tammie Brush wrote.

The court order prohibited Brush from coming within 300 feet of Bonney. Additional court documents show that Bonney had the restraining order dismissed Aug. 11.

Brush, 47, allegedly shot and killed Bonney in broad daylight Friday afternoon, in front of several witnesses and three Long Beach police officers, Long Beach Police Chief Flint Wright said.

Brush and Bonney were allegedly arguing on the Bolstad Beach Approach when she walked away. Brush then retrieved a shotgun from his truck, returned to the scene and shot Bonney three times, according to police.

Brush was charged with first-degree murder and is being held in Pacific County Jail in South Bend, Wash., on $5 million bail.

Bonney, 45, was raised in Long Beach and leaves behind two daughters, 18-year-old Elizabeth Bonney and 16-year-old Olivia Bonney.

Bonney worked as a real estate agent at Long Beach Realty for nearly two decades. One of her co-workers for the past 18 years, who asked that his name not be used, said Bonney had ended her relationship with Brush about a month ago.

“I wouldn't say they were off and on, I would say she left him about a month ago and he was unwilling to accept that,” the co-worker said.

Bonney's co-worker said she was outgoing, bright and a talented agent. Her death, he said, has shocked the small community.

“We're not a big city,” he said. “We're not used to this type of thing happening. We're not used to homicides period.”

Brush worked as a police officer for the Medford Police Department from June 1988 to July 1994, department spokesmen confirmed this morning. Brush left the department due to medical disability.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation accused North River Boats and Brush of committing wire fraud earlier this year, and various other lawsuits against him and his company are pending in several Oregon counties.

Brush is still the owner of the Roseburg-area business, North River Boats Inc., but Brush has no authority in the company; the state court receiver is in control of all operations, an employee said this morning. The Green production plant is still filling past orders and taking new orders, she said.

http://www.nrtoday.com/article/20090914/NEWS/909149995/1063/NEWS&ParentProfile=1055

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
Definitely... goof with a gun.... 
Um.... no. This man murdered his girlfriend. There's nothing "goof"y about it. This man committed a direct, and intentional act of violence against another, specific person. Calling it or him a "goof" diminishes the severity of his aggression, and in so doing serves to, illogically, place this act in a class of crimes where the weapon is somehow the permitting or even causal factor, as though the violence wouldn't have occurred without the gun.

HankT wrote:
Somebody needed to take that goof's guns away from him...
This guy murdered his girlfriend. He shot her multiple times. Of course, owning a gun (he was an ex-cop?), that's the obvious weapon. But say he'd had a knife instead? What would lead you to expect a different outcome?

Obvious gun control shill is obvious.

FMCDH

imported post

marshaul wrote:
HankT wrote:
Um.... no. This man murdered his girlfriend. There's nothing "goof"y about it. This man committed a direct, and intentional act of violence against another, specific person. Calling it or him a "goof" diminishes the severity of his aggression, and in so doing serves to, illogically, place this act in a class of crimes where the weapon is somehow the permitting or even causal factor, as though the violence wouldn't have occurred without the gun.
+1000

Pure pre-meditated if all reports are accurate. This murder would have happened regardless of weapon. He wanted to make a statement, that's obvious, and one way or another, he would have found a way to make it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

marshaul wrote:
HankT wrote:
This guy murdered his girlfriend. He shot her multiple times. Of course, owning a gun (he was an ex-cop?), that's the obvious weapon. But say he'd had a knife instead? What would lead you to expect a different outcome?

He didn't have a knife. He didn't use a knife. We don't even know if he owns a knife!

Where do you get this knife stuff from?

He had a gun. Not a knife. He apparently was a law-abiding citizen with a gun. He was a prosperous business guy, too.

He's one of us. He's our guy.

But now...

Brian K. Brush = goof with a gun

What's with this knife thing....?
39.gif

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
marshaul wrote:
HankT wrote:

He didn't have a knife. He didn't use a knife. We don't even know if he owns a knife!

He had a gun. Not a knife. He apparently was a law-abiding citizen with a gun. He was a prosperous business guy, too.

But now...

39.gif

Goof with a gun? Hardly.

This was a cold-blooded murderer with a lethal weapon. Marshaul's point was that your simplistic view that someone should have taken his guns away would not have made a difference. Someone who would commit cold-blooded murder by firing three shots from a shotgun would have found some other weapon, such as a knife, if that gun had not been available.

So you have a cold-blooded murderer, who's been investigated by the FBI for wire fraud, whose business is in receivership, with multiple lawsuits against him and the business. Hardly paints the picture of a law-abiding citizen and prosperous business guy that you seem to see.

He's one of us? He's our guy?

If you want to be associated with people like him, fine, but I don't want to be included in the 'us' of whom you speak. I seriously doubt that many others on this forum do either.

FMCDH

imported post

HankT wrote:

But now...

39.gif

Our guy???

I don't recall ever talking to him or seeing himat any of the OC get togethers, or even on this board. There is no evidence that he carried a pistol, or even owned one from the information given, little own carried it openly.

Just because a person is in possession of a gun, doesn't make him ANYONES guy...

This guy just had a shotgun... in a truck, and all known information points to its presence being completely pre-meditated.

He was no goof, he was a cold blooded, pre-meditatedmurderer by all accounts, and no anti-gun law in the world would have kept him from doing what he did, or for that matter, any anti-knife law either.

Don't get trapped by focusing on the instrument of his crime, or else you risk missing the bigger tragedy....thechosen instrument of the victims defense.

joeroket

imported post

he had a protection order against him. He was indeed a goof with a gun and someone should have taken the guns away from him. He was unlawfully in possession of the gun. Was he not?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
he had a protection order against him. He was indeed a goof with a gun and someone should have taken the guns away from him. He was unlawfully in possession of the gun. Was he not?

Not.

First, the restraining order was dismissed in August.

Second, read RCW 9.41.040. A restraining order does not deprive you from possession of a gun in Washington.

Being a cold-blooded murderer is way beyond being a 'goof'.

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:

Sad.

No, not a "goof with a gun."

He is a murderer, plain and simple. Don't you have a more relevant postulate for this case? :quirky

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:

But now...

Um, no, he was not "apparently a law-abiding citizen with a gun." He was actually a person who had been under indictment by the FBI for wire fraud, so doesn't really fit the definition of "law-abiding." Other than the whole "innocent until proven..." part. In fact, the business he was indicted with was in receivership? "Prosperous business guy?" Maybe not so much.

No, he was not "one of us." He was likely a fraudulent person, and had previously threatened to killhis current ex-wife. That isn't "law-abiding goof with gun." He is not like me, he is not "one of us."

Keep telling yourself that he was simply a "law-abiding citizen driven to crime because he owned a firearm..." but do not expect others to hold to your distorted "postulate" view of this incident. It just doesn't fit into one of your contrived cubes.

joeroket

imported post

ak56 wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Not.

Second, read RCW 9.41.040. A restraining order does not deprive you from possession of a gun in Washington.

A restraining order does if it is under certain circumstances, which it appears were present in this case.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.800

killchain

imported post

HankT wrote:
marshaul wrote:
HankT wrote:

But now...

39.gif
He's not "our guy," for one. Second, guns don't kill people. People kill people. And just so happens this person was Brian K. Brush.

And blatantly ignoring the fact that violent crime can be performed with any weapon including your hands is asinine. I'm not even going to explain why the previous poster used a knife as an example, because I believe you know.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
ak56 wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Not.

A restraining order does if it is under certain circumstances, which it appears were present in this case.

I stand corrected, thank you.

The court could have ordered the surrender of his weapons if they felt one of the conditions of 9.41.800 were met. Depending upon which conditions were met, he may have gotten them back after the order was dismissed.

Since we haven't seen the court order, we can't determine if he was in legal possession or not.

I will stand by my earlier comment though, that if his guns had been taken away, it probably would not have affected the outcome of this situation. Someone who would commit cold-blooded murder by firing three shots from a shotgun would have found some other weapon, such as a knife, if that gun had not been available.

joeroket

imported post

ak56 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
ak56 wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Not.

I stand corrected, thank you.

The court could have ordered the surrender of his weapons if they felt one of the conditions of 9.41.800 were met. Depending upon which conditions were met, he may have gotten them back after the order was dismissed.

Since we haven't seen the court order, we can't determine if he was in legal possession or not.

I will stand by my earlier comment though, that if his guns had been taken away, it probably would not have affected the outcome of this situation. Someone who would commit cold-blooded murder by firing three shots from a shotgun would have found some other weapon, such as a knife, if that gun had not been available.
I couldn't agree more about the outcome of this event. While I feel it is more than likely that the he was unlawfully in possession of the firearms it certainly is possible that the judge did not order him to surrender them.

tannerwaterbury

imported post

I think the cops were too merciful. They should of shot him DEAD after they saw him KILLING someone in front of their view. Lets just hope he gets what he deserves in court. :banghead: