• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firestone OC meetup - Sep 27

mahkagari

imported post

My wife taught me to say "talking past eachother" to keep discussions on track. Apparently they still say it in South Africa.

It was an interesting coincidence that two people associated with the group last night had their opinions on gunseffected by growing up in countries of "guerilla warfare, hijacking, and bombs".

opencarrybilly

imported post

"talking past eachother" to keep discussions on track
Hmmm. Interesting. I think there is a little different meaning in the two usages. As I learned it it meant that two people, although they agreed, were talking about two different aspects of the topic being discussed so that they did not realize that they agreed. (Or something like that) Does that make sense? :?

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

I guess I felt relieved that we weren't asked to leave or asked to take our guns outside. I understand, Bill, where you're coming from, though. I do think it was probably educational for the caller, and possibly others watching.

I noticed quite a few stares from the crowd when we were sitting down and for a few minutes thereafter. One guy sitting behind Bill kept looking our way -- I think he was watching the TV behind us, but he definitely saw the guns on his side of the table. It'd be very interesting to know who called. I didn't really see anyone watching when she was standing there talking to you guys -- thought that might be a clue.

Glad the gal in blue talked to you and carguy, mahkagari. And I'm especially glad you'd made prior arrangements (and that the gal you talked to was there)!

I searched the city code, and there's clearly nothing about open carry. Amazing what LEOs come up with, isn't it?

mahkagari

imported post

opencarrybilly wrote:
"talking past eachother" to keep discussions on track
As I learned it it meant that two people, although they agreed, were talking about two different aspects of the topic being discussed so that they did not realize that they agreed.
Yeah, same usage. If a discussion starts to be too much about trying to convince the other of something you don't disagree on.

mahkagari

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
I guess I felt relieved that we weren't asked to leave or asked to take our guns outside.
That was the biggest thing that bugged me. We kept saying, "If the management would like us to leave, we're happy to go." You could almost see her searching for a way to be able to say "But I want you to leave." I respect that she's also tasked with "keeping the peace" as well as "enforcing the law". But when neither's really being broken at all, then you really don't have a job to do.

Bad Mojo

imported post

Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know it was a great time and we are looking forward to the next event. Maybe I'll bring a leash for the boy and actually be able to get into more conversation :) (we were the couple at the end of the table).

Just to add to the conversation, I'm glad the officer stopped by. I wasn't at first, and I'll admit my first thought when she walked up was "here we go, get ready to be hassled." As the minutes ticked by however, she was cordial and professional which in and of itself does not sway my opinion of her encroachment... HOWEVER, as soon as she said "I'm honestly not really familiar with the carry laws" late in the discussion just before she left to talk to management, I decided it was a good thing that she showed up. With any luck she walked away a little more knowledgeable on open carry and was curious enough to do some homework and learn even more.

mahkagari

imported post

Welcome to the forum, Bad Mojo! I'd forgotten she said that. This is what the gods invented voicecorders for. I reached for my camera that does audio and video when she came in, but put it down when I saw her go toward the kitchen.

Any of my fellow Firestone residents want to organize the next one? :D

P.S. The "attach" button isn't showing up on any of my computers, including the ones at work.I can't post the pics I got. Anyone want to take them by email and post them for me?

mahkagari

imported post

Maybe you're just not used to your mouth opening to laugh like that.

mahkagari

imported post

Maybe you're just not used to your mouth opening to laugh like that.