Thread: Carrying Handguns in state Forests - Update

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Just got this email from DOF. Emphasis added by me. Looks like we're in business.

During the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) stage, the Department of Forestry (DOF) received 1926 comments supporting the amendment of State Forest regulations to allow the carrying of concealed handguns on State Forests by persons possessing a valid concealed weapon permit. The DOF will proceed to the Proposed Regulation Public Comment stage with the intent to amend the State Forest regulations to allow the carrying of concealed handguns on State Forests by persons possessing a valid concealed weapon permit. DOF will also provide a public hearing opportunity during the Notice of Proposed Regulation Public Comment stage. DOF appreciates receiving comments from all who commented on the proposed regulatory amendment during the NOIRA stage. For information regarding this matter, please feel free to contact Ron Jenkins, Assistant State Forester, at 434 - 220 - 9022, or by email at ron[dot]jenkins[at]dof[dot]virginia[dot]gov.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Post imported post

Yep....i just got one as well. A move in the right direction....

Post imported post

I want to see OC in state parks though :^).

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    I want to see OC in state parks though :^).
    Doesn't that become effective in FEB, 2010?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

That's National Parks, Mike.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

Thanks, Boyd. I'm a bit slow sometimes... Too much saltwater on the brain, I guess.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Is there a list of National Parks and Forests with of the required type of prefered legal carry?

Post imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
    Is there a list of National Parks and Forests with of the required type of prefered legal carry?
    I don't know about National Parks (other than there are new regs taking effect Feb2010) but in national forests you must conceal with CHP, no open carry.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    ...but in national forests you must conceal with CHP, no open carry.
    I'm positive that's incorrect, Dave. As an example, check out this page for the Gifford Pinchot National Forest (happened to be the first one that came up in my Google search). Scroll down to the Firearms section where it reads, "It is legal to openly carry a firearm in most areas of most National Forests."

~ Boyd

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Received the following reply from DOF. If I believe their numbers, we had a rather weak response during the comment period. We've got to do considerably better than this in the future, if we expect to make any real progress in this area.

Yata hey

Mr. W----,
    Our records show that 126 comments of the 1926 received comments addressed support for open carried guns.
    Ron Jenkins
    Assistant State Forester
    Policy, Planning and Budget
    900 Natural Resources Drive, Suite 800
    Charlottesville, VA 22903

Office 434 220 - 9022
    Cell 434 531 - 5985
    Fax 434 977 -7749
    ron.jenkins@dof.virginia.gov

Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:19 AM
    To: Jenkins, Ronald S. (DOF)
    Subject: Proposed DOF regulations changes
    Importance: High

Mr. Jenkins -

How many comments did DOF receive supporting the right by all legal citizens to open carry (without permit) handguns during the comment period?

I believe that the email notice quoted below is misleading as it does not address the issue of open carry of handguns and the number of comments received to that regard.

Received from DOF: "During the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) stage, the Department of Forestry (DOF) received 1926 comments supporting the amendment of State Forest regulations to allow the carrying of concealed handguns on State Forests by persons possessing a validconcealed weapon permit."

The DOF is clearly beyond the scope of their authority in attempting to so regulate this issue.

(signature)

Edited formating
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

IIRC you could view other's comments... I seem to recall being very pleased at the responses, so that number seems a bit, strained. Possibly inversed, actually!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    IIRC you could view other's comments... I seem to recall being very pleased at the responses, so that number seems a bit, strained. Possibly inversed, actually!
    I was confused at first too, the clarification was to discern support for Open Carry out of all the supporting comments, not supporting vs. opposing comments.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    paramedic70002 wrote:
    I was confused at first too, the clarification was to discern support for Open Carry out of all the supporting comments, not supporting vs. opposing comments.

TFred
    Can someone with better computer savvy than I possess, go back and make a count of those pro OC comments?

If we are being deceived, then DOF should have their noses rubbed in it.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I'll be the dissenting voice (So what's new).

I don't see what there is to get excited about. OC or CC, you're still on the leash. Only CHP holders are being granted this PRIVILEGE. :X

Maybe next year, CHP holders only....will be permitted to use .222 for Deer hunting:X:X

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    I'll be the dissenting voice (So what's new).

I don't see what there is to get excited about. OC or CC, you're still on the leash. Only CHP holders are being granted this PRIVILEGE. :X

Maybe next year, CHP holders only....will be permitted to use .222 for Deer hunting:X:X
    See my question/email to DOF above - Posted: Tue Sep 15th, 2009 05:07 pm

Requested comment info on OC w/o permit - he avoided the question.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Are the comments online? I could find nothing on the DoF web site.

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/

TFred