• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying Handguns in state Forests - Update

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just got this email from DOF. Emphasis added by me. Looks like we're in business.

During the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) stage, the Department of Forestry (DOF) received 1926 comments supporting the amendment of State Forest regulations to allow the carrying of concealed handguns on State Forests by persons possessing a valid concealed weapon permit. The DOF will proceed to the Proposed Regulation Public Comment stage with the intent to amend the State Forest regulations to allow the carrying of concealed handguns on State Forests by persons possessing a valid concealed weapon permit. DOF will also provide a public hearing opportunity during the Notice of Proposed Regulation Public Comment stage. DOF appreciates receiving comments from all who commented on the proposed regulatory amendment during the NOIRA stage. For information regarding this matter, please feel free to contact Ron Jenkins, Assistant State Forester, at 434 - 220 - 9022, or by email at ron[dot]jenkins[at]dof[dot]virginia[dot]gov.

nova

imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
Is there a list of National Parks and Forests with of the required type of prefered legal carry?
I don't know about National Parks (other than there are new regs taking effect Feb2010) but in national forests you must conceal with CHP, no open carry.

TexasNative

imported post

nova wrote:
...but in national forests you must conceal with CHP, no open carry.
I'm positive that's incorrect, Dave. As an example, check out this page for the Gifford Pinchot National Forest (happened to be the first one that came up in my Google search). Scroll down to the Firearms section where it reads, "It is legal to openly carry a firearm in most areas of most National Forests."

~ Boyd

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

[align=left]Received the following reply from DOF. If I believe their numbers, we had a rather weak response during the comment period. We've got to do considerably better than this in the future, if we expect to make any real progress in this area.

Yata hey

Mr. W----,
[/align] [align=left]Our records show that 126 comments of the 1926 received comments addressed support for open carried guns. [/align] Ron Jenkins
Assistant State Forester
Policy, Planning and Budget
900 Natural Resources Drive, Suite 800
Charlottesville, VA 22903

Office 434 220 - 9022
Cell 434 531 - 5985
Fax 434 977 -7749
ron.jenkins@dof.virginia.gov

Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:19 AM
To: Jenkins, Ronald S. (DOF)
Subject: Proposed DOF regulations changes
Importance: High

Mr. Jenkins -

How many comments did DOF receive supporting the right by all legal citizens to open carry (without permit) handguns during the comment period?

I believe that the email notice quoted below is misleading as it does not address the issue of open carry of handguns and the number of comments received to that regard.

Received from DOF: "During the Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) stage, the Department of Forestry (DOF) received 1926 comments supporting the amendment of State Forest regulations to allow the carrying of concealed handguns on State Forests by persons possessing a validconcealed weapon permit."

The DOF is clearly beyond the scope of their authority in attempting to so regulate this issue.

(signature)

Edited formating

TFred

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
IIRC you could view other's comments... I seem to recall being very pleased at the responses, so that number seems a bit, strained. Possibly inversed, actually!
I was confused at first too, the clarification was to discern support for Open Carry out of all the supporting comments, not supporting vs. opposing comments.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
IIRC you could view other's comments... I seem to recall being very pleased at the responses, so that number seems a bit, strained. Possibly inversed, actually!
I was confused at first too, the clarification was to discern support for Open Carry out of all the supporting comments, not supporting vs. opposing comments.

TFred
Can someone with better computer savvy than I possess, go back and make a count of those pro OC comments?

If we are being deceived, then DOF should have their noses rubbed in it.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'll be the dissenting voice (So what's new).

I don't see what there is to get excited about. OC or CC, you're still on the leash. Only CHP holders are being granted this PRIVILEGE. :X

Maybe next year, CHP holders only....will be permitted to use .222 for Deer hunting:X:X

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
I'll be the dissenting voice (So what's new).

I don't see what there is to get excited about. OC or CC, you're still on the leash. Only CHP holders are being granted this PRIVILEGE. :X

Maybe next year, CHP holders only....will be permitted to use .222 for Deer hunting:X:X
See my question/email to DOF above - Posted: Tue Sep 15th, 2009 05:07 pm

Requested comment info on OC w/o permit - he avoided the question.

Yata hey