• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry At Walmart

Grimes

imported post

I'm planning to do my first open carry at walmart in tempe. i've never open carried except down the street to show my neighbor some new things.

am i allowed to have a loaded magazine in the pistol?

i know to look for no firearms signs outside and what do i do if approached by an employee and told to leave it in my car? should i ask to see the manager?

RJ

Banned
imported post

This is ARizona, you can carry loaded and locked in condition 1

Walmart is typically OC friendly, you are correct in checking for signage.
good luck.
ric

Hendu024

imported post

Grimes wrote:
I'm planning to do my first open carry at walmart in tempe. i've never open carried except down the street to show my neighbor some new things.

am i allowed to have a loaded magazine in the pistol?

i know to look for no firearms signs outside and what do i do if approached by an employee and told to leave it in my car? should i ask to see the manager?
Before I add my $.02, I want you to know that I'm just trying to help and I'm not picking on you at all. For example, I don't even live in AZ and I'm aware that you can carry locked and loaded. If you don't even know what condition is legal to carry in, it sounds like you should do some more reading on this forum so that you can be as prepared as possible for any and all encounters with other people while OC'ing. The best defense you can have is to know the laws in your state. Not knowing the laws can get you wrongfully arrested for saying the wrong thing, or carrying in a place that you weren't aware was unlawful.

Grimes

imported post

i know you are trying to help and i thank you for the info. i'm just asking a few questions before i do it.

i have been reading and i understand to look for signs of no firearms allowed, no establishment that serves alcohol. i already knew that az is well known for open carry and a manager of a store can tell you to leave.

i understand now that condition 1 in safety on with round in chamber and rounds in magazine.

Hendu024

imported post

You might also want to look for threads that talk about people's encounters with LEO's, store managers, sheeple, etc. Those really help me to picture what I would do in those situations.

RJ

Banned
imported post

Hey Grimes.
If you are not confident enough to hit the Wally world, how about waiting till saturday the 19th and join us at teh OC dinner and meet in person with some folks, there will be OC"rs of all ages and genders, non carriers are also welcomed. IT sometimes gives one a little boost to join in a group to help with the lonesome feeling one gets the first few times out.
Many would happily share ideas, rules, and ways to communicate if questioned and quized by both authorities and the public.

Not saying you're not ready, as I do not know you, but believe me, in a group of many its much easier, to watch and learn.

Hope it goes well, remember Open carrying you become an ambassador for all gun owners.
Good luck and enjoy, rather than feel different than others not carrying.
ric j.

Grimes

imported post

i was actually thinking of going, so i should be there.

i have some experience with public opinion on my open carry around my neighborhood or selling a rifle. i just need to get experience with leo's or store managers.

what about that holster i showed above? because if i order it today, i should have it by friday. :D

RJ

Banned
imported post

Great hope to see you there, I'll have a name tag on saying RJ,
or look up Clyde, Kenpoprofessor, we'd be happy to introduce you to a bunch of folks, however some we will not know, YET,

As for the holster, appears its sufficient for your OC needs.
again enjoy and good luck
ric j.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

912b.jpg

This is Chris (the AR15 OCr at Obama's rally), myself, and another buddy givin' a hard look for the camera while OCing at the Phoenix 9/12 gathering. There were at least 3 dozen OCrs and who knows how many CCWs.

Be comfortable with your carry, don't fiddle with it all the time, and lastly, don't pull it out of the holster until you're ready to use it.:D

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

r6-rider

imported post

48th? you mean priest and elliot? thats the only walmart iv ever seen off elliot, and iv OCed there plenty of times. i had one problem with some scared middle eastern chick that worked there, told me there was signs out front saying no firearms but i knew there werent and she was full of s*** so i basically just "yea yea ok'ed" her and continued shopping for a good 30 mins after that. still, didnt have a problem and wasnt kicked out

Grimes

imported post

yeah i think it might be priest and elliot, i'm just used to going down 48th to get to it :lol:

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I OC that walmart all the time. Not a problem. Even was told I looked good carrying:shock: by a young lady in the shoe dept.
Never thought I'd here that.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dreamcro wrote:
I OC that walmart all the time. Not a problem. Even was told I looked good carrying:shock: by a young lady in the shoe dept.
Never thought I'd here that.
Heh, sure beats the "OH EHM GEE, you own guns, why are you so violent, what's wrong with you, do you have a tiny penis, you should meditate" crap that I get from bimbos I find up around here... I swear, all that just launches right out of their face hole the moment they find out... As I move their number from my contact list to my blacklist (iPhones rock), excuse myself from the table, and stick them with the bill and no ride home! Sometimes, I date anti-gunners just so I can do that to 'em!

Seriously, I gotta get out of here.... Flagstaff, or Kingman?

r6-rider

imported post

Kildars wrote:
I feel so young. I'm only 22 and been OCin everyday since I was 21 and five days.
lol i holstered my weapon and started roaming town the day i turned 18... that was about 9 months ago

Thoreau

imported post

Grimes wrote:
i know you are trying to help and i thank you for the info. i'm just asking a few questions before i do it.

i have been reading and i understand to look for signs of no firearms allowed, no establishment that serves alcohol. i already knew that az is well known for open carry and a manager* of a store can tell you to leave.

i understand now that condition 1 in safety on with round in chamber and rounds in magazine.

* Manager title not required. Any 'agent' of the property/business can legally ask you to leave, at which point if you do not do so, they can technically, and legally, have you slapped with trespass charges. Of course, if you disarm and return to chit chat about it/voice your thoughts, that's perfectly fine =)

As far as carry condition, I can't think of any combination that would be ilelgal in AZ. I personally carry with one in the chamber, full mag, and safety off with my USP, and in an identical manner with my XDm (since it doesn't even have a manual safety.) Just be sure you have a solid quality holster (I'm personaly a big fan of Blackhawk Serpa's due to the retention mechanism while open carrying), and proper trigger finger discipline! =)