• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Creek, Saturday, 2009-09-19 @14:00

bblackmoor

imported post

I have a favor to request:

Is anyone here planning to go to Black Creek this Saturday, 2009-09-19, at 14:00?

My wife and I and four friends (one visiting from out of town, and another who is about to move away) would like to get together and go shooting Saturday at 14:00. Unfortunately, I stupidly allowed my Black Creek membership to lapse, and no new memberships are available until January.

I am not asking for anyone to make a special trip. However, if anyone here (someone I met at the recent OC dinner at the pizza place, hopefully) was planning to go to Black Creek on Saturday afternoon *anyway*, would it be possible for us to tag along as your guests?

I understand this is a huge imposition. If I can't find anyone to allow us as guests at Black Creek, then we will go to Dominion and pay hundreds of dollars instead.

Thank you for your consideration.

buster81

imported post

What does their membership run? I did manage to find an address and got a view on google maps. It's not a very longdrive for me, and if I can find somewhere that allows me to bring my own ammo (hint hint Dominion), I would go for a membership.

curtiswr

imported post

If you have a yahoo account or care to register one, there is a VA_IDPA group on there. Almost surely you'd find assistance there. :cool:

essayons

imported post

I believe Black Creek is running an IDPA match this saturday. I'm sure if you ask on the VA IDPA yahoo group there will be someone who is staying after the match. I'd take you but I'll be out of town this weekend.

Membership is $100 a year, but I believe KC may have raised it to $150 for next year.

Keep in mind the guy who runs it (KC Young) frowns on OC, rapid fire, and is pretty crotchety in general. I am a member until December, but I'm glad I scrounged up the money for Cavalier.

bblackmoor

imported post

essayons wrote:
I'm sure if you ask on the VA IDPA yahoo group there will be someone who is staying after the match.
I have copied my request there. I am skittish about plopping into their discussion group to ask strangers for a favor, but... eh. Hopefully they will not take offense.

essayons wrote:
I am a member until December, but I'm glad I scrounged up the money for Cavalier.
Is Cavalier a nice range? According to their web site, you have to know a member to become a member, so I guess it's exclusive. Is it expensive, too?

The Wolfhound

imported post

If you could wait until Sunday, there is the Privately Owned Weapons (POW) range at Fort Lee. Pistol, shotgun, black powder and rimfire rifles. Rates are$5.00 for first hour and $2.50 per additional half hour. Outdoors and shoot your own ammo. Goodfolks running it and it is open to the public Wednesdays and Sundays.

bblackmoor

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
If you could wait until Sunday, there is the Privately Owned Weapons (POW) range at Fort Lee. Pistol, shotgun, black powder and rimfire rifles. Rates are$5.00 for first hour and $2.50 per additional half hour. Outdoors and shoot your own ammo. Goodfolks running it and it is open to the public Wednesdays and Sundays.
Thanks. Fort Lee is kind of a drive, but it may be worth it. Do you have a point of contact for that range?

edit: Nevermind, I found http://leemwr.com/Rec/rec_odr_pow.htm

essayons

imported post

Cavalier is a very nice range... 5 handgun ranges, blackpowder and rimfire only ranges, 100 and 600 yard rifle ranges, the 600 yd range has hanging steel from 200-500 yds. Also a decent size private lake full of largemouth, camping area with electrical hookups, and picnic areas.

About 900 at the moment to join, 200-250 a year after that. They have bought a bunch of land and made quite a few range improvements recently, so they have added additional fees.

Anyone who is interested can PM me and I'd be more than happy to sponsor members of OCDO. Be aware that the range rules prohibit OCing off the firing line. Seems silly to me. I'm sure if enough OCers joined up we could change that.

sitedzn

imported post

essayons wrote:
Membership is $100 a year, but I believe KC may have raised it to $150 for next year.
This just sucks. I can barely afford the $100 right now. And the range at Amelia is horrible in comparison (IMO).

Will be attempting to make a trip out this week sometime (if I can figure out how to get my son out there prior to sundown). Kid needs to shoot his "new" ML prior to Saturday so he can knock down the nice buck I caught on cam last week.

DSC_0001.jpg

ETA: And no grape, I'm not giving up this location either - just like last year. :p

67GT390FB

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
For those interested (sorry for the OT discussion) here are some other pics of places I get to go to this season. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s42/sitedzn/Deer/

Lucas,

nice pics, shouldn't you take your son to go after one of the monsters on the 26? its not right for dad to keep all the trophies to himself you know :lol:

joe

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll be happy to take you into Arrowhead Bblackmoor, but that's a pretty good drive for you.