• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK To work as armed security as an independent contractor?

Aaron1124

imported post

Is it legal for a security officer, whom is working as an independent contractor, rather than being an employee of an agency, to carry armed without an armed guard license?

FMCDH

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Is it legal for a security officer, whom is working as an independent contractor, rather than being an employee of an agency, to carry armed without an armed guard license?

In a word, yes.

You have to follow the same rules and regulations that any other private citizen does however.

This is a huge gray area to some cities, but nothing in the law prevents you from being an unlicensed contract agent who "just happens to carry a gun in a completely legal manner" while you work. The biggest thing is having a business licence if you make over a certain amount, I believe, 4000 a year?

Its been a few years since I worked in this capacity, so the income rules may have changed.

Aaron1124

imported post

Thanks for the info. The reason I ask, is because I've been working as an independent contractor for an agency to perform security work. I'm not am employee of the company.. just a contractor, doing work for a specific location. I was told I can carry if I want, but I wasn't sure what Washington Law said on the subject.

FMCDH

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Thanks for the info. The reason I ask, is because I've been working as an independent contractor for an agency to perform security work. I'm not am employee of the company.. just a contractor, doing work for a specific location. I was told I can carry if I want, but I wasn't sure what Washington Law said on the subject.
The thing to keep in mind is that the liability is completely yours since you are not covered under this company's insurance, they will probably not help or represent you if something happens. That is, unless your contract says otherwise.

Myself, I always carried when allowed by the security company's that I worked for. I trusted in my own judgment, and as always, I would rather have the option than not.

Just because I have a gun, doesn't mean I have to use it.

FMCDH

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
you really need to consult an attorney

Yes, when you work for yourself, especially in an armed capacity, you really need to have an attorney on retainer who knows your situation and can advise you.

Myself and other contract agents I networked with always did.

Find an attorney that understands both contract law, and 2nd amendment issues for the states you work in.

I ended up dealing with an attorney out of Oregon that was at-least knowledgeable for Washington, Oregon and California, and knew others that he in turn networked with in other states.

Networking is key at all levels when you work contract security. Know the laws (weather you choose to follow them or not) of the state you are working in.

David.Car

imported post

I guess I am a bit confused here. Are you being used by a security company and being sent to work for multiple clients. OR are you working for one corporation who is using you as security for only their operations?

If it is an independent security company all state laws apply and you need to have your security license, if not, they are working you in an illegal fashion.

If it is a corporation, then it falls under in house and you are okay.

FMCDH

imported post

David.Car wrote:
I guess I am a bit confused here. Are you being used by a security company and being sent to work for multiple clients. OR are you working for one corporation who is using you as security for only their operations?

If it is an independent security company all state laws apply and you need to have your security license, if not, they are working you in an illegal fashion.

The requirement of licensing in Washington State is a matter of semantics and the, who, what, where and how you practice.

But dont take my word for it.... IANAL

See this page for securitylicensing information in Washington... http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/securityguards/sglaws.html

RCWs that states WHO must have a license.... http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=18.170.160

And who does not... http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=18.170.020Paying special attention to the first exception.

David.Car

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
David.Car wrote:

The requirement of licensing in Washington State is a matter of semantics and the, who, what, where and how you practice.

But dont take my word for it.... IANAL

See this page for securitylicensing information in Washington... http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/securityguards/sglaws.html

RCWs that states WHO must have a license.... http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=18.170.160

And who does not... http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=18.170.020Paying special attention to the first exception.
You need to pay attention to the last line of the first exception where it states unless it is a security company.

Hence my asking.

FMCDH

imported post

David.Car wrote:
You need to pay attention to the last line of the first exception where it states unless it is a security company.

Hence my asking.

Good point.

The OP only states "agency" whichis kind of a "gray" word for the purposes of this conversation, but as normal, the individual asking should always do their own research. It is their butt on the line after all.

As the appropriate RCWs make clear, it depends on WHO you are working for and under what capacity.