• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Kentucky what is the min age

Kentucky Handloader

imported post

The past 3 weeks I have been working on finding info to support what everyone has said regarding OC in KY. So far this is the only site I have found that even says its legal to OC at age 18. I talked to a state police officer and he did not have a clue. I have been told to look at

527.100 Possession of handgun by minor.

(1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:

(a) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;

(b) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm, or target shooting at an established firing range, or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;

(c) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by a group organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or any successor thereto which uses firearms as a part of the performance;

(d) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the statutes or administrative regulations of this Commonwealth;

(e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection with any unloaded handgun in his possession;

(f) On real property which is under the control of an adult and has the permission of that adult and his parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun; or

(g) At his residence and with the permission of his parent or legal guardian possesses a handgun and is justified under the principles of justification set forth in KRS Chapter 503 in using physical force or deadly physical force.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a handgun is "loaded" if:

(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the handgun; or

(b) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the handgun, if the handgun is a revolver; or

(c) There is a cartridge in the magazine of a semiautomatic handgun, if the magazine is attached to the handgun; or

(d) The handgun and the ammunition for the handgun, are carried on the person of one under the age of eighteen (18) years or are in such close proximity to him that he could readily gain access to the handgun and the ammunition and load the handgun.

(3) Possession of a handgun by a minor is a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense and a Class D felony for each subsequent offense.

Effective: July 15, 1994

History: Created 1994 Ky. Acts ch. 30, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1994

I cannot find anywhere in it to offer help.

So here are my questions lined out in order

1. Who should I see about Open Carrying in the state of Kentucky at age 18?

2. When it says Minimal age to OC is 18 does it mean for rifles and shotguns only or are handguns allowed to be carried LOADED.

3. And finally where can I find hard true evidence to support that I can carry at age 18 without having to worry about legal repercussions?

[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][/font][/font]

TheMrMitch

imported post

A Kentuckian may carry openly and legally a handgun or longarm at the age of 18 yrs of age.

A kentuckian may OWN said firearms at 18 years of age but may NOT purchase a handgun from a FFL holder until the age of 21.

1: You have already listed the laws.

2: Any legal weapon, loaded or not.

3: The factthere isno law AGAINST carrying at 18 literally means it is legal.