• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego Sheriff Election

chewy352

imported post

http://sheriffjay.org/blog/

San Diegos 2a rights are in there hands when they vote in 2010. 3 very good aticles on the sheriff debate. The 3rd one places the most attention on 2a rights. And i must say thats a good lookin devel in the third article with empty holsters. sorry guys but i was all alone and since im studing to go into law enforce ment i did not carry so that gore wouldnt shoot me.

Chewy

jsimmons

imported post

San Diegos 2a rights are in there hands when they vote in 2010. 3 very good aticles on the sheriff debate. The 3rd one places the most attention on 2a rights. And i must say thats a good lookin devel in the third article with empty holsters. sorry guys but i was all alone and since im studing to go into law enforce ment i did not carry so that gore wouldnt shoot me.

That post should have looked more like this:

---------

San Diego county resident's 2nd Amendment rights are in their hands when they vote in 2010. The provided link is to three very good articles on the sheriff debate. The 3rd one places the most attention on 2nd Amendment rights, and I must say that's a good looking devil in the third article with empty holsters.

Sorry guys, but I was all alone, and since I'm studying to go into law enforcement, I did not carry so that gore wouldn't shoot me.

---------

Now, there were a couple of instances in your original message that could very well have been simple "light-strikes" on the keyboard, causing a missing letter here and there. However, most modern browsers are equipped with easily accessible spell-checkers, so there is no valid excuse for posting something so difficult for educated people to read. Further, punctuation is still important in written (or typed) correspondence. Learn it. Use it.

Maybe you should study English before branching off into something more specific. If you can't communicate any better than this, I think you would be well advised to pick a line of work other than law enforcement.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, I usually only pull out the grammar police thing as a goof or a jab, but that was pretty atrocious. See how a simple semi-colon transforms a rambling run-on into:

"Hey, that guy used a semi-colon! I'm an English Professor and I'm not even sure of the proper context for using those; he must have smarts real good..."

If you're going to post a very visible topic in a very visible forum, please be literate.

chewy352

imported post

I was going to deal with this privately with jsimmons but since people seem intent on bashing me i will make it public.

This is my response that i sent to jsimmons via private message:

First of all if you would like to provide constructive criticism i do appreciate it. However if you had any respect for anyone besides yourself you would do it in a private manner ie: private message.

Second how do you know there are no valid excuses in my life. I am currently taking 16 credits in college, working full time and trying to have a family life as well. So when I do have time to participate in the Forum it usually isn't very much.

Third I have never been a good writer, speller, etc. and i am always the first to admit it. Currently 6 of my 16 credits have to do with English. I'm enrolled in English 101 and Speech 103.

Fourthjust because someone is not an expert at one aspect of a job does not mean they should look for another job. I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic in the U.S. Navy for 4 years. Which also includes Hydraulics. I suck at working on Hydraulic Systems and excelled at the structural side. With extra work and training over time i got better not good but better with hydraulics.

So you talk about education and civilized people and you reply to my post like that. If you want to help someone then do it without trying to publicly embarrass them. Until then i respectfully ask you to keep your opinions to yourself on my Threads, Posts, Replies, etc. As far as your corrections for my format thank you and it is a learning experience. No one is perfect. Not even you Sir.

Michael

Now I would like to remind all that wish to gang up on me of a couple forum rules I call on the moderators to enforce them so that we may keep our focus and get information to all that need it instead of bashing people into silence.

All rules are copied and pasted from http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

2) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry,firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate substantially to one of these topics, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty. OCDO is not a general discussion forum on polticis, religion, the current President, etc. Take that somewhere else!

5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

8) General: No shouting in Capital Letters. Use "substantially proper" capitalization, punctuation, and grammer as best you can. Use of abbreviations and acronymns shold be minimized and always defined.

And i also include Rule 8. Yes i am very bad at English and am a native speaker. just because i'm learning and still make a lot of mistakes does not warrant public bashing. If you don't like my posts, threads whatever Then don't read them. Don't reply to them. Move on.

Michael

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
I was going to deal with this privately with jsimmons but since people seem intent on bashing me i will make it public.

This is my response that i sent to jsimmons via private message:

First of all if you would like to provide constructive criticism i do appreciate it. However if you had any respect for anyone besides yourself you would do it in a private manner ie: private message.

Second how do you know there are no valid excuses in my life. I am currently taking 16 credits in college, working full time and trying to have a family life as well. So when I do have time to participate in the Forum it usually isn't very much.

Third I have never been a good writer, speller, etc. and i am always the first to admit it. Currently 6 of my 16 credits have to do with English. I'm enrolled in English 101 and Speech 103.

Fourthjust because someone is not an expert at one aspect of a job does not mean they should look for another job. I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic in the U.S. Navy for 4 years. Which also includes Hydraulics. I suck at working on Hydraulic Systems and excelled at the structural side. With extra work and training over time i got better not good but better with hydraulics.

So you talk about education and civilized people and you reply to my post like that. If you want to help someone then do it without trying to publicly embarrass them. Until then i respectfully ask you to keep your opinions to yourself on my Threads, Posts, Replies, etc. As far as your corrections for my format thank you and it is a learning experience. No one is perfect. Not even you Sir.

Michael

Now I would like to remind all that wish to gang up on me of a couple forum rules I call on the moderators to enforce them so that we may keep our focus and get information to all that need it instead of bashing people into silence.

All rules are copied and pasted from http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

2) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry,firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate substantially to one of these topics, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty. OCDO is not a general discussion forum on polticis, religion, the current President, etc. Take that somewhere else!

5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

8) General: No shouting in Capital Letters. Use "substantially proper" capitalization, punctuation, and grammer as best you can. Use of abbreviations and acronymns shold be minimized and always defined.

And i also include Rule 8. Yes i am very bad at English and am a native speaker. just because i'm learning and still make a lot of mistakes does not warrant public bashing. If you don't like my posts, threads whatever Then don't read them. Don't reply to them. Move on.

Michael
You completely missed the mark here.

No one was bashing you.

Grammar

And as I said, I usually overlook it. But good Lord man, I wasn't even sure I was reading what you meant to say.

I like your post just fine, for its content. But you really make yourself look bad when you mangle almost every other word in it. We, both responders so far, are just trying to help you not look like an idiot. Because you do. It's not our fault... But if you want to get hostile about it, fine, stay illiterate.

chewy352

imported post

stay illiterate? are you literate because you obviously did not read my reponse. IM LEARNING. i will gladly accept constructive criticism. this obviously was not. I've had enough of this discussion can we get back on topic, keep our eye on the price ans show a little for repect all around. That goes for me too.

Michael

TFred

imported post

Public / private, make a call, there are points for both.

The fact is this forum is all about a very important issue and eyes from all sides and persuasions come here to see what we have to say and how we say it.

Your eloquent, perfectly spelled and composed reply shows that you can communicate clearly when you feel it is important to do so. We should always consider it important to communicate clearly on this forum. Our words and how they are presented do convince others of "something". If we write poorly, we are not only not presenting the message we intend to present, we are fostering stereotypes that those opposed to our views are likely to bring with them, and which just as badly need to be dispelled.

JMHO, I speak for me, and no one else.

And by the way, I have been meaning to reply on topic here about the link in the OP... I read through the three stories, and as you note, the third account of the Sheriff candidate's debate was astounding! Those of us who are fortunate enough to live in "shall issue" states should never take it for granted. It truly is like the "fresh air of freedom".

TFred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
"Stay illiterate?" Are you literate? Because you obviously did not read my response. I'M LEARNING. I will gladly accept constructive criticism. This obviously was not. I've had enough of this discussion. Can we get back on topic; keep our eye on the prize and show a little for respect all around? That goes for me too.

Michael
This is constructive. Your response was not. This is helping you learn. Bitching at me for it, is not.

Thanks for the update.

At least CA has some form of OC. You can dodge the whole Permit thing, and frankly, why not? CA OC is closer to your actual rights than begging for permission from tyrannical Statists.... Something Red States haven't got.

chewy352

imported post

Thank you TFred for explaining it to me in that matter. If that had been in the other replies i would not have been so defensive.

Michael

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No one treated you badly until your response. And even then, only mildly. Don't even go there.

Have an emotional and defensive response, then imply that it is somehow someone else's responsibility, then make cozy with yet another someone else on down the line who says the exact same thing, but after you think it through and realize your reaction was inappropriate... Of course, don't admit that... It's someone else's fault you acted that way...

I'm quite thankful to insane.kangaroo for that handy-dandy grease monkey script he made... It may not parse perfectly, but it at least removes this kind of junk from my life.

Tah tah!

chewy352

imported post

ixtow,

Have you looked in to the gun laws in CA?

I have two main examples of why open carry is no where near our rights. First of all we have PC 12031 http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf?

This law gives police officers authority to ignore the 4th amendment by searching our persons, ie. checking our guns, and seizing our weapons, taking them out of our possession. The police officers in most California cities take advantage of this law every chance they get. IMO

Second there is PC 626.9 (same link as above). Under this law we can not open carry within 1000 feet of a k-12 schools property line. Thus making it all but impossible to stay within the law. In order to complicate the law even more. The definition of a school includes private schools and it has been argued that it may even include home school homes.

The exception to 626.9 is if you have a CA CCW you can carry within the school zone just not on school property.

Google San Diego schools and imagine a 1000 foot shaded area around each school that pops up (this is also far from exact). You will see that the majority of the city is off limits. I dare to say this is the same i'm at least 90% of CA cities.

Begging for a CCW is what we in CA have to do because it is a May Issue state. I would much rather have a Shall Issue state like i did when i lived in Washington and got my CCW there. I not once begged. I filled out the application, payed my fee, and had my background run. That's it.

So i think if you really look into CA laws you will see that we are barely holding on to our 2a rights.

Michael

chewy352

imported post

ixtow think what you will. I am ending this because it is completely irrelevent to Open Carry and is nothing more than a personal attack. imho. I will no longer reply to these types of comments.

If you have anything to discuss about Open Carry topics id be glad to hear them.

Michael