Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Way off topic but I need to find this dog a good home

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mt.Morris, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    197

    Post imported post

    So this has nothing to do with open carry BUT

    Some people decided to move and asked me to hold their 2 year old pitbull until they found a home for him (2 days max) well truth be told they could care less what happens to this dog so lemme tell ya about him.

    his name is tucker he is 2 years old (pretty big and intimidating) but he is a big puppy. he loves to play catch ALOT so if your arms are broke forget about it.He is good with my 7 and 8 year old as well as my 9 month old very people friendly.

    The people had other dog's but i don't know how he would do with any other dogs I have only let him play with my dogs on the other side of the fence and he seemed ok but i really don't know.

    So if you have alot of free time and need a good intimidating dog then this guy is for you, like i said he is big but he is a big baby I would keep him myself but the wife says NO MORE DOGS!!!!!!!

    if you might be interested you can come by and meet him and play fetch with him for a while if you would like.





  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mt.Morris, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    197

    Post imported post

    awww come on, nobody needs a guard dog?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    Awwww. He's adorable! If my female Boxer got along with other dogs I might be able to help you out, but sadly she only likes our other Boxer that she grew up with. Sorry.



  4. #4
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Post imported post

    steve wrote:
    So this has nothing to do with open carry BUT

    Some people decided to move and asked me to hold their 2 year old pitbull until they found a home for him (2 days max) well truth be told they could care less what happens to this dog so lemme tell ya about him.

    his name is tucker he is 2 years old (pretty big and intimidating) but he is a big puppy. he loves to play catch ALOT so if your arms are broke forget about it.He is good with my 7 and 8 year old as well as my 9 month old very people friendly.

    The people had other dog's but i don't know how he would do with any other dogs I have only let him play with my dogs on the other side of the fence and he seemed ok but i really don't know.

    So if you have alot of free time and need a good intimidating dog then this guy is for you, like i said he is big but he is a big baby I would keep him myself but the wife says NO MORE DOGS!!!!!!!

    if you might be interested you can come by and meet him and play fetch with him for a while if you would like.
    Same exact thing happened to me one time. Since I was gone so much, the poor thing just was out of control when I did come home. As a person who just loves dogs, I feel for you and, if I were home more, I certainly would take him.

    I eventually found a home for the dog by asking a local dentist; they seem to be home alot, typically working just a few days a week. Chiropractors tend to have the same type of schedule; I would try any local DDSs or DCs and see if they are interested.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mt.Morris, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    197

    Post imported post

    I'll give it a shot, the bad new's is as soon as people here "pitbull" most of them think he must be a vicious killer, and his looks don't help much.

    This is gonna be a job finding him a home.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    steve wrote:
    I'll give it a shot, the bad new's is as soon as people here "pitbull" most of them think he must be a vicious killer, and his looks don't help much.

    This is gonna be a job finding him a home.
    Of ALL the pitbull's I have met, I have NEVER had a bad experience. They caught a bad rep! Sure, if they are raised improperly they can become a hazard because they are strong dogs.

    I have been attacked/biten by dogs twice in my life. Both of those dogs weresmaller dogs (Shi Tzuh, and an Irish Setter), and I never provoked either. Any dog is capable of attacking, but pits get the bad rep because if/when they attack they can do more damage. I wish I could help you out man, but my dogs would not welcome another dog into their home.

    BTW, the fiance agree's that he his adorable.

  7. #7
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    steve wrote:
    I'll give it a shot, the bad new's is as soon as people here "pitbull" most of them think he must be a vicious killer, and his looks don't help much.

    This is gonna be a job finding him a home.
    What's up with the original owners?

    How'd they treat the dog for two years and why are they letting it go all of a sudden?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    I'd love to take him but I've already got two dogs as it is. Please though... whatever you do... FIND HIM A GOOD HOME. Do not hand him over to someone you don't trust... he could be used in dog fighting (and if he's not aggressive enough, then he could be used simply as bait to train a more aggressive dog). Dog fighting is still very much alive and well in, and around, Detroit and folks will travel far from Detroit to find dogs... so don't give him to ANYONE you don't trust.

    Secondly, don't turn him over to any shelters. Nearly every shelter, anymore, has strict policies to euthanize aggressive breed dogs; regardless of the actual dog itself. They won't even attempt to adopt him out... they'll just kill him.

    There are plenty of good natured people that are responsible enough to care for a dog like Tucker... please just be patient until you find someone. I'd stay away from places like Craigslist... you don't know who those people are. You're better off staying diligent about talking to people you know and trust. I wish I knew someone looking for a dog... but I don't. My buddy has a Pit... she's a total sweetheart and she's getting up there in age. If anything were to happen to her, I don't doubt for a minute that he'd take on another one. But she's got some years left in her, yet.

    One last request... have him nuetered; if you haven't already. Local Human Society (or similar group) should do it for next to nothing.

    There are too many homeless pets... especially with people, themselves, going homeless. Many folks don't consider the long term responsibilities of pet ownership. At the first sign of trouble, they toss them out on their ear to fend for themselevs. It's sad. I won't lie and say I've had moments with my German Shepherd that made me doubt my ability to deal with her... but it just takes patience. Eventually, things fall into place as they should and you end up with a creature that's devoted to you more deeply than most humans can ever fathom.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    Veritas wrote:
    One last request... have him nuetered; if you haven't already. Local Human Society (or similar group) should do it for next to nothing.
    Neutering can help with a dog's temperment too. I'm not sure about it though if they reach a certain age and then you have them neutered though.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    T Vance wrote:
    Veritas wrote:
    One last request... have him nuetered; if you haven't already. Local Human Society (or similar group) should do it for next to nothing.
    Neutering can help with a dog's temperment too. I'm not sure about it though if they reach a certain age and then you have them neutered though.
    As I see it, you cut a dudes nuts off at ANY age, and it's going to have an effect on his temperament.

  11. #11
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Veritas wrote:
    T Vance wrote:
    Neutering can help with a dog's temperment too. I'm not sure about it though if they reach a certain age and then you have them neutered though.
    As I see it, you cut a dudes nuts off at ANY age, and it's going to have an effect on his temperament.
    Absolutely. Look what it did to Doug Huffman...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mt.Morris, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    197

    Post imported post

    Yea dog fighting is my main concern, I was raised in the "hood" so I know people who fought dog's (I do not, never have nor never will like dog fighting) this dog would be turned into a training dog and i will not let that happen...

    I did post him on craigslist and have had a few people interested, but none that I would let him go with, I included a list of requirements and nobody has filled them all so he is still with me.

    Pit bull's have no chance at shelter's they won't give them a chance, it's straight to the injection room and before that ever happen's I will keep him myself no matter what the wifethinks (sorry hunny if you are reading this).

    Thanks for the support and input I'll keep on keepin on.



  13. #13
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Post imported post

    steve wrote:
    I'll give it a shot, the bad new's is as soon as people here "pitbull" most of them think he must be a vicious killer, and his looks don't help much.

    This is gonna be a job finding him a home.
    Since "Pitbull" as a specific "breed" does not really exist, use the actual breed name of the dog. Although there is an American Pit Bull Terrier, I'm not a dog-breed expert, but it looks as if Tucker is an American Staffordshire Terrier (Check the net for pics, closest one to Tucker's pic, IMHO). Check also "Staffordshire Bull Terrier". If he is an American Pit Bull Terrier, some areas have used some different breed names like "St. Francis Terriers".
    http://www.sfweekly.com/1997-06-11/n...-kill-this-dog

    I don't condone duplicity but I think that using the actual name of the breed instead of "Pitbull" will get you a better response and will actually be more honest. Pitbull is very negative, as you stated, and some local areas in the country even outlaw them.

    Good luck...
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    steve wrote:
    Yea dog fighting is my main concern, I was raised in the "hood" so I know people who fought dog's (I do not, never have nor never will like dog fighting) this dog would be turned into a training dog and i will not let that happen...

    I did post him on craigslist and have had a few people interested, but none that I would let him go with, I included a list of requirements and nobody has filled them all so he is still with me.

    Pit bull's have no chance at shelter's they won't give them a chance, it's straight to the injection room and before that ever happen's I will keep him myself no matter what the wifethinks (sorry hunny if you are reading this).

    Thanks for the support and input I'll keep on keepin on.

    You're a good man... thank you. I hope your wife IS reading this so that she knows you're a man with a kind heart.

    And no, I'm not hitting on you haha

  15. #15
    Regular Member Hendu024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    Shelters all over the country are overrun with pits and amstaffs and pit mixes. I would be willing to bet that there's more than 1 pitbull rescue in your area. You could start with calling the local SPCA and Animal Control and ask them if they know of any rescues. The rescues are all no-kill and they will do everything they can to help find a home.

  16. #16
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Hmmm, insurance is a factor in the decision. Or should be...

    http://saveabull.com/2008/insurance-for-pit-bulls/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •