• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discrimination

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

This has been bugging me for long enough and I wanna get if off my chest.

Would a business get away with prohibiting whites, blacks, hispanics, women, men,sodomites, muslims, jews, christians, etc. from their busines?

I'm sure in today's world they would be facing one heck of a lawsuit and some very bad PR if they did so.

Our rights are actually protected under the Constitution of the United States, unlike those of the sodomites. Why do we as firearms owners allow them to get away with treating us like second class citizens?

Springfield Smitty

imported post

LOL. I would not call the ACLU for assistance in any matter. I dispise the organization for their assistance of homosexuals.This is in no way a right granted by our Constitution and the courts need to leave it alone. Anyway, that is another topic all together.

I am in no way trying to be rude to you for your suggestion though. Someone may decide to do that, although I think they (the ACLU) would be more inclined to try and ban firearm ownership because it "offends" some people.

wally1120

imported post

I also agree with you. All the people that say we cant come into the Store/Home with our tools are profileling,And it is a bunch of crap. I also think that people that say we cant be there have little to no common sence at all,A Law abidding citizen will walk out with out a problem,A Badguy will walk and and shoot everyone that guess wha DON`T HAVE A GUN,Most people with guns aren`t bad. But they have there head so far are there cracks they don`t have enough strength to pull them back out. STOP GETTING YOUR PANTIES IN A BUNCH,AND QUIT PROFILEING AGAINGST US WE ARE EXERCISING OUR RIGHTS

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gun owner/carrier is not a protected class of citizen under Federal law (Race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference - those are protected.).

I understand what you're saying - but you'll have to remember - the Constitution/Bill of Rights don't grant anything, they just recognize pre-existing rights of particular importance.

And by the way - I personally support an individual's right to be homosexual. It in NO fashion affects my quality of life.

Regulating what kind of sexual preference is legal/illegal is another of those "crimes against humanity" BS that should NEVER be touched by the Government. Joe and Bob getting married doesn't prevent my right to marry my woman of choice.

This is just like the war on drugs - Were they legal all along we'd have never had the cartels that exist today, and we'd have stoners in basements just like we do today. If my neighbor wants to get high and watch trippy movies on TV, that doesn't affect my quality of life.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

The protected class' of citizen under Federal law are race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference and they all got that way with the help of the ACLU.

Which is why I posted that but yeah.... I know they suck as far as guns go.

T Vance

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
This is just like the war on drugs - Were they legal all along we'd have never had the cartels that exist today, and we'd have stoners in basements just like we do today. If my neighbor wants to get high and watch trippy movies on TV, that doesn't affect my quality of life.
During the prohibition of alcohol during the 1920's, there were more underground bar's (speakeasy's) in the US than there are legal bars right now without prohibition.

Springfield Smitty

imported post

I was not aware thatsodomites wereactually protected under federal law. I know there were some attempts and lawsuits, but was not aware that they succeeded.

In my opinion, all law must / should be based on the Constitution. If this was / isthe standard, then sodomy should be ignored as far as the law is concerned.

the500kid

imported post

So what if carrying a gun is part of, or is your religion are you protected then. It sounds kind of silly but why not everything else has a religion.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

I understand what you mean. I feel like I'm being treated unfairly because of my choice to defend myself, family, friends and/or state when I go to places that disallow firearms.

@T Vance, Not all religions revolve around worshipping a god.

T Vance

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
@T Vance, Not all religions revolve around worshipping a god.
I know. I had to take a class on Religion a few years ago at college. I was making a joke. Plus cabman's gonna start a religion where you worship the "gun"...right Cabman?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Generally, "discrimination" refers to treatment taken toward or against a person of a certain group that is taken in consideration based on class or category, and "Illegal" or "Unethical" concerns treatment based upon a categorization which a person can't change. For example, can I ethically prohibit people who drive Toyotas from shopping in my store? Yes, because they could choose to drive something else. Is it illegal or unethical discrimination to prohibit a Native American from shopping in my store? Yes, because they can't change the fact that they are Native American. Now, I know that the religion to which one chooses to adhere is "changeable", but legislators have typically found it intrinsically detestable to ask one to change their core religious beliefs to suit a shopkeeper.

The question is often asked if homosexuals can be ethically/legally discriminated against. Ethically, I guess it depends on how one views the practice: if it's something one chooses, then yes, it would appear that ethically one could discriminate against the practice. However, society's views are changing and as more people consider homosexuality as something one is born to practice, I think you will see a bigger push to include homosexuals in the list of legally protected classes.

As long as one can choose to carry a firearm (or not), I think gun owners will continue to be legally and ethically discriminated against (not my choice, but not unethical either). However, if we can normalize the carrying of firearms, I think people will increasingly consider that gun owners are law abiding citizens and the issue will become very minor.

Veritas

imported post

On the subject of "sodomites" (homosexuals and what not), I'm of the opinion that they ARE Constitutionally protected. All men, afterall, are created equal. Women too, of course.

Put simply, as long as someone's lifestyle does not endanger the life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness off anyone else; then the Constitution protects their liberties. Being homosexual is not cause to deny them freedoms and liberties. They have the same rights as the rest of us.

Veritas

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
I respectfully disagree. According to my Bible, they were not created that way. They made a conscious decision to be that way.Now, I know thisbecomes a religious debate when it comes to that, but one cannot say for certainthat they are created that way either.
The problem is this: Your Bible does not dictate the laws of man. It dictates your religion, sure... but our Constitution, in America, overrules any Bible.

Understanding that our nation was built upon traditional Catholic/Christian principles, our Forefathers were also very careful not to impose said principles on those who choose not to adopt the religion itself.

Show me where the Constitution says that homosexuals are less deserving of rights than anyone else, and I'll concede my argument. I'd even settle for a reference, in the Constitution, to a particular Biblical passage that supports the notion. In the absence of either reference, then it stands that the Constitution protects ALL people, regardless of race, nationality, RELIGION, sex, sexual orientation, etc, etc. We are all endowed with the same rights and no religion can take that away from anyone.

Please don't confuse personal beliefs with Constitutional principles. They are often very different. Personally, I don't agree with many things some American's do.. but I support their right to do it as long as they are not endangering the lives, liberties, or pursuit of happiness of others. Personally, I don't have an issue with the gay or lesbian community... it's not a lifestyle choice that I, particularly, would adopt... but I more than welcome their choice to do so. I'm also of the school of thought that they don't CHOOSE to be homosexual, but that they are born to be that way. I can't fathom why someone would choose to pursue a lifestyle that, for many years (and in many cases, still occurs in America) is very hostile to their being. I don't believe anyone wakes up one day and says, "Gee, I think I'll be gay today." I think it's something their born with. I see no problem with it either way. People are people... nobody is less human simply because they don't conform to traditional social norms.

And on the subject of traditional social norms, homosexuality is nothing new. Many cultures have engaged in it for many years. There's actually some controversy over whether or not some of our Forefathers may have been homosexual. Former President Lincoln, in fact, is widely believed to have been "in the closet". Some cultures embrace it, others merely tolerate it, while still others are extremely hostile towards it. In every continent on the globe, and through ever era in history, homosexuality exists. It even exists in nature. Do you aim to tell me that animals that mate for purposes OTHER than pleasure CHOOSE to be gay? Or is it more likely that some of them are just wired to be that way? My money is on the latter.

Opinions are like buttholes... we all have them. But I beseech you to be wary of the fact that anything you say here can, and will, be used against the rest of us. Many folks already peg 2A activists as "rednecks", extreme right-wingers, and intolerant bigots. Please don't allow that stereotype to proliferate.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Although I always like a good debate... remember this is an OC forum and I think it would be better served to discuss this elsewhere...

My .02...

Springfield Smitty

imported post

Veritas wrote:
Opinions are like buttholes... we all have them. But I beseech you to be wary of the fact that anything you say here can, and will, be used against the rest of us. Many folks already peg 2A activists as "rednecks", extreme right-wingers, and intolerant bigots. Please don't allow that stereotype to proliferate.
I absolutely agree and hope others will heed this advice.

T Vance

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
I respectfully disagree. According to my Bible, they were not created that way. They made a conscious decision to be that way.Now, I know thisbecomes a religious debate when it comes to that, but one cannot say for certainthat they are created that way either.

I wouldn't know because I am not a homosexual, but from the people I have known throughout my life that are gay, they did not CHOOSE to be that way. They simply felt an attraction forpeople of thesame sex.

In no way does it interfere with my life, and I wouldn't want ANYONE telling me who I should have to marry, so I think that homosexuals should be able to marry whom ever they want. JMO...