• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course
One session, Monday Oct 5th, Thursday Nov 12th or Tuesday December 8th.

CARRY LEGALLY IN 29 STATES!! Complete the 'Utah Concealed Firearms Permit' Course being offered in the store.

For NON-RESIDENTS, the Utah permit is GOOD in 29 States!

Included in this class are ALL the Application Requirements including fingerprints, Notary Public, Passport Photo, copy of current Drivers License & a pre-addressed envelope to the Bureau of Criminal Identification, State of Utah Public Safety.

The Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Course registration fee is $70 pre-paid via Pay-Pal to: cfputah@gmail.com or $90 at the door. (Note: seating not guaranteed for late arrivals.)
All applicants will receive training in accordance with 53-5-704 UCA. In addition to the course fee, a State of Utah processing fee of $65.25 is required to be submitted with your completed application. Application and state fee may be submitted up to twelve months upon course completion.
Class limit 32. Reserve today. For a list of States with reciprocity & recognition for the Utah CFP go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/
For additional course information, call or email Instructor Kevin L. Faherty, Owner, 'At A Moments Notice' 503-481-5847, cfputah@gmail.com.

5:30-8:30 p.m.
Location: Steelhead Room 2nd floor next to Cascades Grill Restaurant.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Link has been fixed in the first post.

Utah also covers Delaware / D.C. With all the Federal entities there I wonder how easy it is to actually carry?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

warrenwilson wrote:
How many states do we have now? How many/which does Utah add?
Washington accepted by 20 states - AK, AR, AZ, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*,

Utah accepted by 33 states - AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO**, DE, FL**, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH**, NM, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT*, WA, WV, WY

12 Additional states covered by Utah- AL, DE, GA, MN, MS, MT, ND, NE, NM, PA, WV, WY, CO**, FL**, NH**

* Vermont does not issue permits
** Colorado, Florida & New Hampshire only honors permits from residents of the issuing states

*** NH non-resident is only $20 and is available to anyone who has a CPL. Fill out the form and mail it in with copies of CPL & DL. It take about 2 weeks.
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
to bad they don't do a florida one. that'd be for sure a keeper
Florida issues a non-resident permit.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

The Florida CCW application process is almost identical to Utah's. The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services handle the application and processing of Florida Concealed Weapon Permits. With Florida you either qualify in an exempt category [Prior Law Enforcement Training, Military Training, Prior Firearms Experience, etc.] or you can attend any National Rifle Association or State Certified Firearms Course that includes weapon manipulation and live-fire range exercises.

The main differences with Florida's application process are that your fingerprints must be taken by a Law Enforcement Agency, and the cost of the permit is $117.00 for seven years. Florida renewals are $107.00 every seven-years.

To apply for a Florida Non-Resident Concealed Weapon Permit, complete Florida's one-page application, send in one color photograph, one Florida fingerprint card [Completed by a Law Enforcement Agency], and have the application notarized. The processing time is longer than Utah's, 60 to 90 days is the standard turn-around time for Florida CCW Permits.

A Florida CCW Permit will allow you to carry a concealed weapon in most of the same States as Utah, with the addition of Florida and Pennsylvania that are not covered by a Utah Permit. With only Two State-issued Permits, you can legally carry a concealed firearm in 28 different States.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/forms/formsrequest790.html

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Nevada draws fire after shooting down Utah gun permits.
Nevada and Florida no longer recognize each others Concealed Carry Licenses as well.

Proof of proficiency » Silver State insists on live-fire training for concealed weapons.
By Brandon Loomis

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 09/14/2009 04:38:11 PM MDT

Utah gun owners are protesting Nevada's decision to reject Utah-issued concealed-weapon permits.

On July 1, the Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association, which sets the Silver State's permit recognition requirements, dropped Utah from the list of states whose permit holders also may carry concealed firearms in Nevada.

The reason: Utah does not require permit holders to prove their proficiency with a live-fire test on a shooting range.

"You don't get a driver's license without taking a driving-in-the-car test," Frank Adams, the Nevada association's executive director, said Monday. The same should apply for weapons owners, he said. "You should at least show proficiency."

The policy group Gun Owners of Utah this past weekend issued a call for letters and e-mails of protest after getting an alert from the National Rifle Association. On Monday, though, group spokesman Bill Clayton said the cause appears hopeless because Nevada authorities interpret their state law as backing up the ban.

Nevada law requires permittees from other states to meet substantially the same requirements as Nevada holders, and Nevada requires a shooting test.

"We don't want to impose any more burdens on permit applicants than are necessary," Clayton said, but other states do. "I guess for the time being that's a fact of life."

Gun Owners of Utah sees no difference in safety records among states that require a shooting test and those
Advertisement
that don't, Clayton said. So the group does not support changing Utah's requirements to regain Nevada's confidence.

Clark Aposhian, of the Utah Shooting Sports Council, said he plans to fly to Las Vegas today to protest at the Nevada association's concealed-weapons forum. The meeting actually is in Carson City but is accessible by teleconference in Las Vegas.

A shooting test has no bearing on safety, Aposhian said, because it does not translate to real-world uses of concealed weapons. Hitting a target at 25 yards is not the same as handling a weapon during a life-threatening situation, he said, often at arm's length.

"It's insignificant," Aposhian said of a live-fire test. "At best it's insignificant."

Aposhian accused Nevada of trying to protect the livelihood of its firearm instructors by nixing Utah's permits within its boundaries. Utah's permits are recognized in roughly double the number of states where Nevada's permits are good. As a result, he said, some people have opted to get Utah permits instead of paying for training in Nevada.

Utah's permits currently are recognized in 33 states, according to the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification. That list accounts for Nevada's recent withdrawal and Nebraska's new policy recognizing Utah permits.

Adams said Utahns still can carry concealed weapons in Nevada if they first get a Nevada permit. That means visiting a Nevada county and taking training that he said takes eight to 16 hours.

bloomis@sltrib.com

Ajetpilot

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Washington accepted by 20 states - AK, AR, AZ, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*,

Utah accepted by 33 states - AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO**, DE, FL**, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH**, NM, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT*, WA, WV, WY

16 Additional states covered by Utah- AL, DE, GA, MN, MS, MT, ND, NE, NM, OH, OK, PA, WV, WY, CO**, FL**, NH**
Something wrong here. If OH accepts WA CPL, then Utah doesn't add that one.

1245A Defender

imported post

in 2 1/2 yrs when my wa cpl expires, i would be thinkin about replacing it with the utah. why bother with both?

with utah good in 33 states, minus 3 that exclude non-res, then 1 permit covers washington and 29 others.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

correct map

utahu.jpg

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
in 2 1/2 yrs when my wa cpl expires, i would be thinkin about replacing  it with the utah.  why bother with  both?

with utah good in 33 states, minus 3 that exclude non-res,  then 1 permit covers washington and 29 others.
That's a really good idea, I never thought of that.
Can anyone think of any reason why not to do that?

New Daddy

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
in 2 1/2 yrs when my wa cpl expires, i would be thinkin about replacing it with the utah. why bother with both?

with utah good in 33 states, minus 3 that exclude non-res, then 1 permit covers washington and 29 others.
That's a really good idea, I never thought of that.
Can anyone think of any reason why not to do that?

If you have an out of state CPL can you walk in and buy a pistol without the waiting period?

j2l3

imported post

If you are a Washington resident, I am pretty sure you will be required to have a Washington CPL to conceal carry in the state.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
If you are a Washington resident, I am pretty sure you will be required to have a Washington CPL to conceal carry in the state.
Washington residents are required to have a license issued by this state. A non-resident license from Utah is not valid in Washington if you are a Washington resident. See bold section below.

RCW 9.41.073 -- Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

brianstone1985

imported post

Does anyone know of a UTAH CPL training program like this that will take place anywhere near Spokane? I would love the chance to attend but cant make the 5 hr drive...

Thanks,