• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A general concern

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Let me start off by saying I fully support carry of any kind, OC or CC.

I do however have a concern that I've been contemplating for a couple days without any good answer. Hopefully someone here can give one, or preferably some.

We all know OC is becoming more common as time goes on. Whose to say, once it becomes quite common, that people with criminal intent wont start open carrying as well for the intent of looking inconspicuous. They could be waiting for the opportunity to see that noone else is open carrying to follow through on their crime, meanwhile impersonating a law abiding citizen.

Granted, the more people that carry and the more widely known it is that people are carrying, the less likely criminals are to risk their lives, but... if they were moral and had common sense, they wouldn't be commiting felonies with firearms in the first place...

autosurgeon

imported post

The reason criminals hide their guns is the police in most cases know the felons in their areas... if they see one with a gun they are going to arrest them! Also there are notices that go out when certain types of Felon's moves into a new area.

Of course a person that has not yet committed a crime wouldn't fit this description.... but as we are a free country that is a chance we take...

T Vance

imported post

I have thought about the same thing, but never posed that question on here because I didn't want a chance of acriminal that comes across this website to read it and think about doing it.

Just like many law abiding citizens that don't know anything about OC, and see someone OCing, chances are a criminal that see's someone OCing will probably think just like that citizen. That person carrying like that must have a license or be a LEO.

Sure a criminal could hear about OC and do there research, learn all of the "rules", then use that to their advantage to commit a crime, but the chance of them doing it is slim though. Plus, really what is the difference between a criminal CCing a weapon they intend to use for a crime and them OCing it? If anything, they have made it worse on themselves by drawing attention to themselves. Now a cop might be called to the area prior to them commiting the crime, where as if they would have CCed the gun that could have given them a few extra minutes to execute their plan before a LEO arrives.

To sum it up, if a criminal is going to commit a crime, it doesn't matter whether they CC, or OC. They are still going to have a witness(s), possibly video evidence, etc that they are going to have to deal with.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I have thought about the same thing, but never posed that question on here because I didn't want a chance of acriminal that comes across this website to read it and think about doing it.
I originally had the same exact thought. After thinking about it in depth, I realized that criminals can be just as smart as anyone else. They would figure it out.

If anything, they have made it worse on themselves by drawing attention to themselves. Now a cop might be called to the area prior to them commiting the crime, where as if they would have CCed the gun that could have given them a few extra minutes to execute their plan before a LEO arrives.

I considered this also, but was thinking in the future, when open carry people are not harassed :)

To sum it up, if a criminal is going to commit a crime, it doesn't matter whether they CC, or OC. They are still going to have a witness(s), possibly video evidence, etc that they are going to have to deal with.

Very true... nothing is going to change. Thanks for clarifying that. The criminal will have the gun CC or OC regardless of what anyone else does.

Thinking more about it, it may in fact be better. I would rather know that someone has a gun, then wonder if they do. I would think the LEO's, if they sat down and thought about it, would come to the same conclusion.

(sorry for the multiple edits... many thoughts lol)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
Let me start off by saying I fully support carry of any kind, OC or CC.

I do however have a concern that I've been contemplating for a couple days without any good answer. Hopefully someone here can give one, or preferably some.

We all know OC is becoming more common as time goes on. Whose to say, once it becomes quite common, that people with criminal intent wont start open carrying as well for the intent of looking inconspicuous. They could be waiting for the opportunity to see that noone else is open carrying to follow through on their crime, meanwhile impersonating a law abiding citizen.

Granted, the more people that carry and the more widely known it is that people are carrying, the less likely criminals are to risk their lives, but... if they were moral and had common sense, they wouldn't be commiting felonies with firearms in the first place...
Sssshhhhhhh:exclaim:

DanM

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:

For the criminal, concealed carry is BY FAR the vastly superior method for remaininginconspicuous. Not only do they want to be inconspicuous up to the moment they spring their crime, they want the element of surprise as well. Even in the states where open carry has been around a long time, far more people do it, andit causes much less of a fuss generally(e.g., Arizona),armed criminals go about with their gatsinsidetheir pants.

I think your concern is absurd. Not in the pejorative sense (I'm not insulting you), but in a strictly rational and reality-based sense. There are other concernswhich, rationally, are far more credibleconcerns to think about, as open carry becomes more prevalent. Such as more concerted efforts by government, both stealthily and outright, to chip away at liberty. For example, the government may not infringe on a lawful person's RKBA, but if it controls who is on the list of "lawful persons" and the other list of "unlawful persons", then government controls the RKBA through a "back door", don't they?

That is an example of a MUCH MORE valid and rational concern as open carry and, indeed, all forms of gun ownership and carry become more prevalent. It's borne out by history, in fact. So, not only think about all possible concerns, but also think about how realistic and historically-based they are, too. Food for thought.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

@DanM, I would agree that issue would be more of a concern, however that concern is already widely known to exist. I was presenting a concern that wasn't addressed to my knowledge.

Michigander

imported post

Dan's example of Arizona is a great one. It's a state where open carrying never ever went away even in cities.

In the valley, LA punks many of whom have felony convictions are like a wide spread disease that can't be cured. But I've never ever seen one that OC's.

Realistically, it isn't going to happen.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

T Vance wrote:
LMAO. No I just thought I'd throw in a random video. Sorry for the hi-jack.

I dated someone in Jackson a few years back, I would expect nothing less :) J/K

All in fun, not worried about hijack, unless of course others are not satisfied as I am with the responses.

T Vance

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
T Vance wrote:
LMAO. No I just thought I'd throw in a random video. Sorry for the hi-jack.

I dated someone in Jackson a few years back, I would expect nothing less :) J/K

All in fun, not worried about hijack, unless of course others are not satisfied as I am with the responses.
I'm a Jackson "transplant" so I'm not offended.

DanM

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
@DanM, I would agree that issue would be more of a concern, however that concern is already widely known to exist. I was presenting a concern that wasn't addressed to my knowledge.

My point is not aboutconcerns that are "more of a concern" versusothers that are less of a concern, or concerns thatare "widely known to exist" versusothers that arenot widely known to exist.

My point is more drastic than that. My point is that your concern is way beyond being "less of a concern" and "not widely known to exist" and more in the area of"don't worry about it because it ain't gonna happen". There are concerns that are realistic versus unrealistic. The concern aboutarmedBG's going from concealed carry to open carry, as OCbecomes more accepted, is utterly unrealistic. No matter how accepted and prevalent OC becomes, BG's will practicallyALWAYS keep their guns hidden. Your concern is so unrealistic and in the "ain't gonna happen" bucket as to not need to be "addressed".

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

DanM wrote:
ethernetweb wrote:

My point is not aboutconcerns that are "more of a concern" versusothers that are less of a concern, or concerns thatare "widely known to exist" versusothers that arenot widely known to exist.

My point is more drastic than that. My point is that your concern is way beyond being "less of a concern" and "not widely known to exist" and more in the area of"don't worry about it because it ain't gonna happen". There are concerns that are realistic versus unrealistic. The concern aboutarmedBG's going from concealed carry to open carry, as OCbecomes more accepted, is utterly unrealistic. No matter how accepted and prevalent OC becomes, BG's will practicallyALWAYS keep their guns hidden. Your concern is so unrealistic and in the "ain't gonna happen" bucket as to not need to be "addressed".

When you have a question without an answer of your own, that you believe is important, regardless of wether it truely is or not, do you keep silent and always wonder, or do you try to get an answer by using available avenues?

It happened in our history, why not again? History does tend to repeat. Yes, we have a much different society in this day and age. Yes, we have a structured law enforcement. Even you can't truely say that it won't happen. You must be rich beyond your wildest dreams, being able to predict the future and all.