• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marking guns

Hillmann

imported post

I have 2 guns that have no serial numbers and I plan to engrave my name and address in an area that would not be visable with the gun assambled. The reason I want to do this is in case of theft, without sereal numbers I would be hard to prove that I owned if there is no other markings on them.

Can anyone think of a good reason not to do this?

AaronS

imported post

Are the guns in question real old? Hate to scratch my name in a super old gun, it would hurt the value. How did you get guns with out numbers? Do I want to know?

Would real good close photos do about the same thing?I do this for insurance reasons (but all mine have numbers).

Hillmann

imported post

AaronS wrote:
Are the guns in question real old? Hate to scratch my name in a super old gun, it would hurt the value. How did you get guns with out numbers? Do I want to know?

Would real good close photos do about the same thing?I do this for insurance reasons (but all mine have numbers).
One is an old springfield .22 (I think the patent date is 1891)and the other is a reproduction flintlock. Neither one has any value other than being a shootable gun.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You could have a 'smith stamp the barrels or receivers with your information, otherwise, you could have s/n's assigned to them. Personally, I don't think that I'd bother. You could do something under the butt plates so you'd have to remove them to ID them.

Hillmann

imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
You could have a 'smith stamp the barrels or receivers with your information, otherwise, you could have s/n's assigned to them. Personally, I don't think that I'd bother. You could do something under the butt plates so you'd have to remove them to ID them.

My plan is to engrave the flintlock under the but plate and the barrle wedge. and on the inside of bolt ousing on the springfield.

But my question is, is ther a valid reason not to do this?

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hillman:

Serial numbers were not mandatory until the Gun Control Act of 1968. Most .22's, less expensive shotguns and black powder long guns did not have serial numbers before that date. The GCA made it mandatory that any firearm manufactured after theGCA went into effecthave a serial number.

What I do in a case like yours is write my name and what ever other information you wish on a piece of paper and cover it with transparent tape to make it waterproof. I then remove the buttstock and drill a hole large and deep enough to hole the rolled up paper. Many firearms have a hole already drilled in the stock for the stock to frame attachment screw or bolt. The advantage of this technique is that there is no damage done to the firearm that will detract from it's value.

AaronS

imported post

That might be the best idea, gun stays clean from marks, and the next owner (if there is one) can just change the paper (once you tell him that it is in the gun).

Good idea.

Hillmann

imported post

AaronS wrote:
That might be the best idea, gun stays clean from marks, and the next owner (if there is one) can just change the paper (once you tell him that it is in the gun).

Good idea.
why is everyone so concerned about the next owner. I am talking about getting it back if it is ever stolen from me and by engraving on a piece tha is necessary for the gun to function and that is not replaceable it can not be removed like a piece of paper in the stock. Also I think guns should be family hairlooms and having the original family members name in it adds to the historical value several generations from now.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ever hear of a grinder or file. Criminals don't care what a gun looks like as long as it shoots. As a part time gunsmith I have seen a number of guns that had the serial numbers and other information ground off.

Hillmann

imported post

Lammie wrote:
Ever hear of a grinder or file. Criminals don't care what a gun looks like as long as it shoots. As a part time gunsmith I have seen a number of guns that had the serial numbers and other information ground off.
That is why I want to mark on an area that if metal is removed from the gun will be unoperateable and on a part that would be unable to be replaced. On the flintlock if engraving is filed off the barrel wedge the gun is unusable and you can't just go out and buy a replacment because it is hand forged and fitted to the gun and on the springfield if you filed off whare I plan to engrave it would give you an eyefull of buring powder.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HILLMAN:

I didn't intend to get into a controversy with you on this subject. You asked for comments. I gave you mine. Do what you wish with them.

AaronS

imported post

I still like the idea of the stock hole. If the gun ever had any value, I think it best to keep the metal clean. That is just me. Sorry if it makes it sound bad.It just seemsthat the best collectors guns are all clean (well mint for it's age). Your kid could sell it for his first home! Or grand-kid...?

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No legal reason you can't do as you plan. I question the wisdom of weakening any functional part of a firearm for safety reasons. Any change or alteration of any existing serial number is of course illegal.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I kind of feel indifferent on this issue. If you mark this weapon in some way to insure it is identified as yours, What happens if it is stolen and used in the commission of a crime before you get a chance to report it.

Isn't it like setting yourself up?

Hillmann

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I kind of feel indifferent on this issue. If you mark this weapon in some way to insure it is identified as yours, What happens if it is stolen and used in the commission of a crime before you get a chance to report it.

That is possoble.

I was thinking that if they were ever stolen from my truck once the robbers realized what they had they would most likley try to sell or pawn it. Most criminals are smart enough to not use a single shot .22 or muzzleloader to commit another crime, but it could happen.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

I have absolutely zero concerns about a gun which was stolen or which I sold to someone being used in a crime and them coming after me. The fact that you owned the firearm at one time in your life is mere trivia if there is no other evidence that you committed the crime. That is why microstamping, ballistic fingerprinting, and other feel good legislation is nonsensical. WI does not require private transfers to go through a FFL. The only way they can "get you" is if you knowinglytransfered a firearm to a resident of another state or to someone who was prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm.

Taking an electro-pencil andputting an identification mark on a part of the firearm which is normally not visibleand does not effect the action makes sense for theft recovery purposes. The only one who needs toknow what the mark means is you unless the firearm is actually stolen or is damaged in a fire, etc.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
I have 2 guns that have no serial numbers and I plan to engrave my name and address in an area that would not be visable with the gun assambled. The reason I want to do this is in case of theft, without sereal numbers I would be hard to prove that I owned if there is no other markings on them.

Can anyone think of a good reason not to do this?
No reason not to and plenty of reasons to do so. Go for it....