• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hopkins Student kills intruder with a Katana (Samurai Sword)

TechnoWeenie

imported post

WTF is wrong with people??

wtfkj.jpg

2,859 people said he should be charged even if it was self defense....

W T F.

XD40coyote

imported post

The diverse neighborhood includes a mix of students, professors and families, said Hughes, who lives with his wife and young children and works for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which is on another campus across town.
"There seems to be a noticeable increase in crime in the neighborhood," Hughes said. "I am concerned for my family's safety."

Oh-the-irony...

Heworks for this anti gun anti self defense group, andis concerned forhis family's safety. I hope the gears of logic are grinding in this guy's head.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
The diverse neighborhood includes a mix of students, professors and families, said Hughes, who lives with his wife and young children and works for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which is on another campus across town.
"There seems to be a noticeable increase in crime in the neighborhood," Hughes said. "I am concerned for my family's safety."
Oh-the-irony...

Heworks for this anti gun anti self defense group, andis concerned forhis family's safety. I hope the gears of logic are grinding in this guy's head.
Nice catch XD !

Did you also notice that Moses was investigating this . Can't have a much higher authority than that in Baltimore. :lol:

Yata hey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
With the 3- to 5-foot-long, razor-sharp weapon in hand, police say, Pontolillo crept toward the noise.
I want to know where I can find a variable length sword, it sounds awesome.
A Katana is from 25" - 30" blade. When held in the hand, the blade tip should not touch the ground. I don't even think a 'Wallace' Claymore would extend 5' in blade. It's boggling that these writers have not a clue what they're writing about and the police 'spokesman' doesn't seem tohave a clue either.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:

Oh-the-irony...

Bloomberg!!!! Oh... nice catch indeed. Thegroup thatmakes a virtue of cowardace.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Heartless_Conservative wrote:
With the 3- to 5-foot-long, razor-sharp weapon in hand, police say, Pontolillo crept toward the noise.
I want to know where I can find a variable length sword, it sounds awesome.
A Katana is from 25" - 30" blade. When held in the hand, the blade tip should not touch the ground. I don't even think a 'Wallace' Claymore would extend 5' in blade. It's boggling that these writers have not a clue what they're writing about and the police 'spokesman' doesn't seem tohave a clue either.
While I generally accept the old, tradition definition of a katana blade being under 24", there have been blades of up to almost 30" - some notable.

That however is only referencing the blade length; not the total length of the sword which frequently can be found up to 45". The kantana of
Miyamoto Musashi had a 29 1/2" blade and was 45 1/2" overall. Pretty imposing, especially in his hands. (Google him - fascinating reading)
http://www.historicalweapons.com/japaneseswords.html

[font="Arial, Tahoma"]Suspect that, not unlike looking down the bore of a pistol, the size of the sword grew exponentially depending on one's perspective. Total length/size of the sword in question was likely between 3 and 4 foot and as such the tip could easily touch the ground if one were to allow it.

In the case of the reporter, give 'em an inch and they'll add a foot. He'd probably never seen anything larger than a steak knife and that katana hence looked huge. :shock:

Yata hey

[/font]

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Semantics aside, I'm glad everything turned out for the swordsman. One less scumbag loose on the streets of Baltimore. :D

The kid should get some Post-traumatic incident counselling, though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Semantics aside, I'm glad everything turned out for the swordsman. One less scumbag loose on the streets of Baltimore. :D

The kid should get some Post-traumatic incident counselling, though.
Hope his gets his sword back too .......................when they're done running the serial numbers.

Yata hey

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Once again a citizen is forced to end a life of crime because the government refused to, and they are made to suffer for making the government look bad.

That's right. In a free society, it isn't up to individual members of society to keep themselves and their families safe. Oh, no.

In a free society, we depend on government to preemptively kill criminals first.

:quirky

You come across as a very disturbed individual.

Only a massive statist would ever think that a crime like robbery has anything to do with how the government "looks". It's simply not the government's job to preempt crime, to prevent it from happening. For it to be so would entail tyranny.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Once again a citizen is forced to end a life of crime because the government refused to, and they are made to suffer for making the government look bad.

That's right. In a free society, it isn't up to individual members of society to keep themselves and their families safe. Oh, no.

In a free society, we depend on government to preemptively kill criminals first.

You come across as a very disturbed individual.

Only a massive statist would ever think that a crime like robbery has anything to do with how the government "looks". It's simply not the government's job to preempt crime, to prevent it from happening. For it to be so would entail tyranny.
The master of alternate realities strikes again, and is rejected... AGAIN!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Now the poor kid will need to replace the sword, they have it fingerprinted in
their database.:cool: Does he get a medical report to make sure any
blood on the handle is safe?

I cut off his hand and he kept attacking me with his tainted blood, so I
tried to plug the hole and missed, but he stopped attacking at that point.

Bet the DC city council holds an emergency session to stop these
ninjas from crossing the border now, they want to keep their streets safe.

Next time they want the name for a threat, tell them Pelosi, they won't arrest her
so would have to issue the permit. :uhoh: If the attacker shows up, he/she won't
be refuting it. If they catch the person, I doubt their lawyer is going to tell him
to let the cops know you lied about the threats he made to you.