• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hopkins Student kills intruder with a Katana (Samurai Sword)

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

The burglar lunged at the resident so he cut him with one blow of the sword. Sounds like self defense to me, so why are they holding him? Why can't the cops comment on whether or not it is appropriate to defend oneself, "the police spokesman said he was not in a position to comment on whether it was appropriate to use a sword, baseball bat or other means of defense."?????

What a crappy State to live in if you can't defend yourself. What are you supposed to do let someone beat you up or kill you?

TFred

imported post

We all know the "Free State" of Maryland has some of the most ridiculous restrictions of handgun ownership in the country, so what do you do when confronted by an intruder?

TFred

Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword

By: Payal Patnaik
Posted: 9/15/09

Hopkins undergraduate John Pontolillo used a samurai sword to kill an intruder in his off-campus residence at the 300 block of E. University Parkway early Tuesday morning.

Police detective Donny Moses of the Baltimore Northern Police District reported that the intruder bled out on the scene.

The senior from Wall, Pa., has not yet been charged with any crime, although investigations remain ongoing, according to Moses.

At around 1:20 a.m, officers were called by a neighbor who reported a suspicious person on the front porch of the home.

"The neighbor reported seeing a black male wearing a black tee shirt on the porch. That person had disappeared from the porch when the Hopkins student searching the house stumbling upon him hiding in the garage," Moses said.

Pontolillo, more commonly known as "Ponts," confronted the intruder after hearing a disturbance in the basement. He went downstairs, armed with a sword.

According to Moses, Ponts confronted the intruder and ordered him to stand still. He also called for police and for help.

"The intruder lunged at him. The student in panic swung the sword, struck the intruder in the left wrist, partially severing the hand," Moses said.

Senior Andres Contreras heard the incident nearby in his house. "I was in my kitchen at around one something, and all of a sudden I heard someone yell, 'Get down get the f-on the ground.' I knew there were robberies going on [in the neighborhood]. It sounded like police. They kept yelling, 'don't you f-move," he said.

"I could hear [the intruder] screaming, [but] I thought he was being roughhoused and was just upset," Contreras added.

Moses confirmed that there had been a burglary earlier that day in the same location, in which two laptops and a Sony PlayStation were stolen.

Ponts's roommate, junior Woody Campbell, was unavailable for comment.

Junior Brandon Doan, who lives a few blocks away walked past the crime scene earlier today. "There were a few pools of blood in the back yard and a few blood splatter stains on the garage," he said.

University officials were unavailable for comment.

"We were very fortunate that no student was harmed last night. All of us should take action to minimize the chances that we will be victimized," Dean of Student Life Susan Boswell wrote in an e-mail to the student body on Tuesday afternoon.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
The burglar lunged at the resident so he cut him with one blow of the sword. Sounds like self defense to me, so why are they holding him? Why can't the cops comment on whether or not it is appropriate to defend oneself, "the police spokesman said he was not in a position to comment on whether it was appropriate to use a sword, baseball bat or other means of defense."?????

What a crappy State to live in if you can't defend yourself. What are you supposed to do let someone beat you up or kill you?
Actually... yeah. Main reason I left.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Just saw this on the AP. I added the bold for emphasis.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_re_us/us_samurai_sword_death?Submit

College student with sword kills burglary suspect By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer Ben Nuckols, Associated Press Writer

BALTIMORE – A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a suspected burglar in a garage behind his off-campus home early Tuesday, hours after someone broke in and stole electronics. Some shocked neighbors said they heard bloodcurdling screams in an area just blocks from the university. Police held the student, a junior chemistry major who turns 21 on Sunday, for several hours, but he was not charged with any crimes Tuesday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.
Around 1:20 a.m., the student heard noises behind the home and noticed a door to the garage was open, Guglielmi said. He grabbed the sword and confronted the intruder — identified by police as Donald D. Rice, 49, a habitual offender who had just been released from jail.
Rice was crouching beneath a counter, police said. The student asked him what he was doing and threatened to call police.
"When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.
Rice's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and he suffered a severe cut to the upper body. He died at the scene.
On Monday, two laptops and a Sony PlayStation were stolen from the student's home, which he shares with three other students, but police were not sure whether Rice was responsible, Guglielmi said.
There was a pool of blood Tuesday morning in the brick courtyard between the back porch of the home and the garage. The courtyard was strewn with debris, including what looked like broken glass.
Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.
Rice's criminal history includes more than two dozen arrests for burglary, breaking and entering and auto theft. According to court records, he was charged in 2007 after he pulled a gun on a police officer, though prosecutors placed those charges on hold because the officer was on military leave.
Rice was convicted in 2008 of unauthorized removal of property and sentenced to 18 months. He was released Saturday from the Baltimore County Detention Center.
Several nearby residents said the community has experienced a rash of petty crimes in recent months, including home, garage and vehicle break-ins. Many homes have bars on windows and stickers advertising alarm systems.
Michael Hughes, 43, said he was getting ready for bed when he heard the screams.
"There was fear in the voice. I could tell someone was scared," Hughes said.
Hughes called 911, and several police cars arrived while he was on the phone. Campus security officers and an off-duty city officer who were in the area responding to a suspicious person report also heard the screams.
The diverse neighborhood includes a mix of students, professors and families, said Hughes, who lives with his wife and young children and works for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which is on another campus across town.
"There seems to be a noticeable increase in crime in the neighborhood," Hughes said. "I am concerned for my family's safety."
Kenny Eaton, 20, a junior political science major at Hopkins who lives nearby, said there was some tension between students and lower-income residents of nearby communities. The private Johns Hopkins is known for its health and science research and has about 4,600 undergraduates on its main campus.
"You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations," he said.
Three young men, including one in a Hopkins T-shirt, were sitting on the front porch of the home Tuesday morning. A police officer was standing in the doorway, and a single police car was parked nearby. The men refused to talk to an Associated Press reporter.
Susan Boswell, the dean of student life at Hopkins, said in a statement that she was "relieved to report that the student was not harmed," but she also advised other students not to follow the swordsman's example.
"If you ever suspect that there is a prowler in your residence or on your property, call 911 immediately," Boswell said. "Experts advise that you do not attempt to confront the intruder, but rather secure yourself in a locked area until police arrive."
Guglielmi said police would consult with prosecutors about whether to file charges against the student. As in most states, self-defense in Maryland is defined by common law rather than by statute. People who confront intruders inside their homes have a greater degree of latitude to use force, and prosecutors consider whether to file charges in such incidents on a case-by-case basis.
"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."

Sonora Rebel

imported post

AK_Amerine wrote:
Susan Boswell, the dean of student life at Hopkins, said in a statement that she was "relieved to report that the student was not harmed," but she also advised other students not to follow the swordsman's example.
"If you ever suspect that there is a prowler in your residence or on your property, call 911 immediately," Boswell said. "Experts advise that you do not attempt to confront the intruder, but rather secure yourself in a locked area until police arrive."
Guglielmi said police would consult with prosecutors about whether to file charges against the student. As in most states, self-defense in Maryland is defined by common law rather than by statute. People who confront intruders inside their homes have a greater degree of latitude to use force, and prosecutors consider whether to file charges in such incidents on a case-by-case basis.
"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."

See? The sheep advise you to remain in 'victim' status. A 'good prosecutor'? Ya mean... the one who sides with the criminals? Maryland is ALWAYS in the negative toward anyone who defends themselves. ALWAYS!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,4027961.story Typically Maryland... the student's been arrested 'til they figure out what to charge him with.
Police show up to find one guy cut and almost dead and another guy holding a sword. In some situations, they just know there is a dead guy. Although, it would be nice if the maxim about whoever calls the cops is the victim were applied.

I think it was in VA Gun Owners Guide that I first read that one should expect to be arrested until police corroborateyour story.

To make sure its not overlooked,Massad Ayoob recommends pointing out evidence to police--"that gun there, that's his. And those shell casings over there, those are his." That sort of thing. I imagine it would also help corroborate.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,4027961.story Typically Maryland... the student's been arrested 'til they figure out what to charge him with.
Police show up to find one guy cut and almost dead and another guy holding a sword. In some situations, they just know there is a dead guy. Although, it would be nice if the maxim about whoever calls the cops is the victim were applied.

I think it was in VA Gun Owners Guide that I first read that one should expect to be arrested until police corroborateyour story.

To make sure its not overlooked,Massad Ayoob recommends pointing out evidence to police--"that gun there, that's his. And those shell casings over there, those are his." That sort of thing. I imagine it would also help corroborate.
I was in fear of my life. My attorney will respond to questions after I have had an opportunity to consult with him.

Yata hey

markand

imported post

I attended Johns Hopkins in the early to mid 1970's and lived only a few blocks from where this took place. The neighborhood is dangerous. I had 2 home invasion burglaries and an armed robbery attempt while I was living there.

Unfortunately, this Hopkins student may be in bigger trouble than he realizes, and the criminal justice system may be the least of his worries. Note that the Sun published his name, and essentially, his address, in their account of the incident. Are they trying to get this student killed? I hope the bad guy, a multiple offender named Rice, doesn't have friends, family or "business associates" who are going to miss poor Mr. Rice.

A further complicating factor for the Hopkins student could be a racial angle, if one exists (insufficient information in the published accounts at this point). In other self defense situations in Baltimore City where a suspect is killed, race unfortunately appears to play a role in whether and how vigorously the defender gets prosecuted.

I hope and pray this Hopkins student acted righteously and the legal system acts accordingly.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, what do you expect. There was talk of charging the people who videotaped ACORN workers suborning felony, too, because the MD government is run by friends of ACORN.

MD is clearly a pro-criminal state and a laughing stock when it comes to justice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

markand wrote:
I attended Johns Hopkins in the early to mid 1970's and lived only a few blocks from where this took place. The neighborhood is dangerous. I had 2 home invasion burglaries and an armed robbery attempt while I was living there.

Unfortunately, this Hopkins student may be in bigger trouble than he realizes, and the criminal justice system may be the least of his worries. Note that the Sun published his name, and essentially, his address, in their account of the incident. Are they trying to get this student killed? I hope the bad guy, a multiple offender named Rice, doesn't have friends, family or "business associates" who are going to miss poor Mr. Rice.

A further complicating factor for the Hopkins student could be a racial angle, if one exists (insufficient information in the published accounts at this point). In other self defense situations in Baltimore City where a suspect is killed, race unfortunately appears to play a role in whether and how vigorously the defender gets prosecuted.

I hope and pray this Hopkins student acted righteously and the legal system acts accordingly.
Class of '60, Sig Ep.

Back then, we walked it all except lower Greenmount Ave. Even went to steakhouse near the "Block" without incident, spent time in "Little Italy," played ball at Herring Run Park and later lived on Eutaw Pl. right at the lighted fountain in the lake which was beautiful as seen from my apt. at night.

Watched Johny Unitas and the Colts triple, sudden death overtime and the Orioles play at the Memorial Stadium.

Times have changed and not for the better. Won't even drive through Md. now.

Yata hey

Kenosis

imported post

Guglielmi said it is legal to possess a sword in Baltimore, and "individuals have a right to defend their person and their property." But the police spokesman said he was not in a position to comment on whether it was appropriate to use a sword, baseball bat or other means of defense.

Appropriate?!?

So... you have a "right" to defend yourself, yet the type of weapons you can appropriately use is to be deemed by the government... Hmm.

"Hang on a second, Mr. Robber/Murderer. I need to go find a weapon that the government says is ok for me to have, to use against you in defense of my life ... Ok, here it is, a pair of crocheting needles -- Let's do this."

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Kenosis wrote:
Guglielmi said it is legal to possess a sword in Baltimore, and "individuals have a right to defend their person and their property." But the police spokesman said he was not in a position to comment on whether it was appropriate to use a sword, baseball bat or other means of defense.

Appropriate?!?

So... you have a "right" to defend yourself, yet the type of weapons you can appropriately use is to be deemed by the government... Hmm.

"Hang on a second, Mr. Robber/Murderer. I need to go find a weapon that the government says is ok for me to have, to use against you in defense of my life ... Ok, here it is, a pair of crocheting needles -- Let's do this."
LMFAO :banghead:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

Actually... yeah.  Main reason I left.

Same here..

Had death threats, police reports, even letters of recommendation from police agencies I worked with.. MSPs response was... 'If you don't know the name of the person threatening you then it's not a valid threat, so no license(to carry) will be issued, and if you do have names, we'll arrest them, so you don't need a license(to carry)..'

Outright asked them what I needed to do to get a license, they said 'you have to show a legitimate need'.... apparently death threats/trespassing/etc isn't enough....

Sonora Rebel

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Same here..

Had death threats, police reports, even letters of recommendation from police agencies I worked with.. MSPs response was... 'If you don't know the name of the person threatening you then it's not a valid threat, so no license(to carry) will be issued, and if you do have names, we'll arrest them, so you don't need a license(to carry)..'

Outright asked them what I needed to do to get a license, they said 'you have to show a legitimate need'.... apparently death threats/trespassing/etc isn't enough....

Police have no duty to protect an individual (SCotUS)

Yeah... MSP parrotts the same mantra to nearly everyone not 'connected'. (Including former police... as I was.) Maryland institutionally denies the means of self defense to the 'common' citizen. Maryland has a penchant for prosecuting nearly anyone who defends themselves with an 'appropriate'weapon (any).

'Appropriate'? Geez... is there a list? "In case of "________" use "_________",

except when "_________" on Fridays and during Lent, use "_________" sparingly.

The state is run by idiots for the benefit of criminals.