• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning to OC While Visiting Family in MS

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I plan to visit family in MS soon and this will be my first visit there since being introduced to OC. I do hold an AL CCW permit (recognized by MS), but would like to OC while traviling as a matter of convenience. I'll be traveling along I-20 through Meridian &Jackson & then down I-55 to just south of Brookhaven.

It sounds like I shouldn't have any problem OC-ing, but I thought I'd ask those of you who live in these areas for your feedback. Is there anything in particular that i need to be aware of while OC-ing in these areas? Thanks.

imported post

Yes, there IS something you need to know.
Most MS cops have NO idea OC'ing is guaranteed in their own state's constitution.
Be forewarned.

I-20, just east of Jackson, around Pearl/Brandon is an area very well known for high profile, dump-everything-on-the-shoulder drug searches. If you're black, latino or Asian, be prepared for "the treatment."

Just south of Brookhaven? Gee, you're almost to our camp !!!

Mississippian

imported post

I have been OCing for a while all around the eastern half of the gulf coastand have yet been asked to show my permit, even when speaking to law enforcement officers as to why I carry. Unfortunately, I do not know what the OC climate is like up around I20.

The bad thing about it is 99% of the people will tell you "You do that and you'll get arrested!" I sure wish I gota nickel for everytime I heard (or hear)that phrase.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not sure about northern MS, but I carry in Hancock County on a regular basis and have had no trouble. Of course, I'm usually only on my family's property or driving, but I have stopped at the Welcome station at I-10 Exit 1 a few times without incident. I did get a Louisiana CHP at my wife's insistence, so I don't worry about that idiotic stretch of logicmasquerading asa legal opinion that has been referenced already.

MedicineMan

imported post

YES, you will be fine.

You have a recognized CWP and it's 100% LEGAL to carry in your vehicle even without one.

But don't be surprised if you stop and go in a store or gas station whensome twinkie freaks out and calls the cops on you.

If pulled over, present BOTH DL and CCW to officer and advise him you are carrying.
Makes for fewer stressful moments.

DocsAngel

imported post

Hi everyone. I'm new to oc. My boyfriend Docwest8404 isn't though and because he uses this site for info and talking amongst fellow oc'ers. :) we live in NC and we open carry on a fairly regular basis. However I am traveling w my mother to visit my sister at gulf port and my boyfriend and I were wondering about th OC laws of Mississippi. If someone could give me feedback that would be wonderful. Thank you :D

*Angel*

Double_J

imported post

Gulfport is where I lived for about 28 years of my life, and I have only seen a few people OCing, I personally never did unless I was on my way to my job as a security officer, or going to the range.

The state law and case law say that a gun in a holster is "partially concealed", so a permit is required to carry on your person. The same law also clearly states that a loaded firearm can be carried anywhere in the vehicle so you are covered there.

I would be careful about where I attempted to OC, mainly due to ALL of the Law Enforcement Agencies being broke they are liable to try anything to fine/arrest someone for anything.

I will be in Gulfport during the next couple of weekends so if you have any questions do not hesitate to PM me.

Double_J

DocsAngel

imported post

Thanks Double_J. I'm looking more to have it in the car while we travel than OC in town. We will be spending quite a bit of time on the base so it would be a pain. You mentioned that a firearm in a holster is considered partially concealed and can cause problems, would you recommend then keeping it out of it's holster while we travel. I usually trVel with it in the holster laid on the passenger seat but if pulling it out of the holster to be laid on the seat would be better then that's what I will do. Thanks again.

*Angel*

JT

imported post

The partial concealment is in reference to you carrying the pistol in public. In the vehicle it doesn't matter.

JT

imported post

DocsAngel wrote:
We will be spending quite a bit of time on the base...
Didn't catch this part last time for some reason. If you are going onto a military base, federal rules will apply while you are on the base. You might want to do some research.

DocsAngel

imported post

Yea she is statIoned at gulf port. Docwest and I are stationed up in NC so I've got all the rules for base. Unless you are registering your weapon to the base don't take them on the base. Thank you everyone again for the input and the info. If you're ever headed to Camp Lejeune look us up if you need anything.

bacfire

imported post

Double_J wrote:
I would be careful about where I attempted to OC, mainly due to ALL of the Law Enforcement Agencies being broke they are liable to try anything to fine/arrest someone for anything.

I get really tired of hearing this kind of talk. I work for two jurisdictions, one broke and the other broker, and I've never even heard a suggestion of generating revenue through enforcement action. Can't say it *never* happens, but if it does it's rare.My agency just banned roadblocks because we were writing *too many* tickets!
Anyhow, most experienced cops won't give you a problem around here, but there are a *lot* of un/undertrained and inexperienced ones in the small towns and rural areas who don't really know the law.

imported post

Amite county seems to be the roadblock capital of the US.
Even after I handed each Gloster alderman a copy of MS state constitution article 3, sec 23 (search and seizure) they STILL refused to obey the law. Oh well.

On the bright side, a MS trooper didn't flinch at the sight of my weapon holstered to my hip while motorcycling up to his roadblock.

DocsAngel

imported post

Well I'm back from MS everyone and I did have a run in w the police officers but they were great about the weapon being in the car. No harrassment no tickets :) and actually very nice about and gave me tips on the other states I would be traveling through. I did haveheboffivwrs make one suggestion that I am definitely passing on. It was always recommended before ( to me) that when being pulled over be sure to turn off the vehicle and place your hands one ove the other on the steering wheel and inform the officer that you have a gun. The officer that I spoke w said this is a fine practice he only suggested that instead of hands on the steering wheel place them out the window palms down onthe side of the car. It further ensures that there is no questionto the officer where your hands are. Especially if you are pulled over at night. Thanks again for everyone's input :D

*Angel*