• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky anti-gun mayors

GarandFan

imported post

Lots of bloggers and the NRA are focusing on the faux "anti-illegal gun" mayors group of Bloomberg and Menino. Make no mistake ... these guys want to infringe our rights, and have cobbled together this group of mayors to give them clout and supposed credibility.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=254&issue=011

In Kentucky, only two mayors belong to the group ...

1) Abramson of Louisville
2) Walker of Bowling Green

I don't know Abramson of Louisville ... but Bowling Green has next to zero crime, and this Mayor Walker might be swayed to resign.

Anyone willing to write to her? I will try to find standard letters that we can tweak.

MrOverlay

imported post

I was in Bowling Green yesterday and noticed a sign at the convention center attached to the Holiday Inn that stated "Concealed Weapons are prohibited by City Ordinance".

Brian D.

imported post

MrOverlay wrote:
I was in Bowling Green yesterday and noticed a sign at the convention center attached to the Holiday Inn that stated "Concealed Weapons are prohibited by City Ordinance".

Sometimes I wish I were in the sign business, so I could makeandput upones that say something like:

"The sign above this one is a BIG FAT LIE, as all city ordinances related to firearms have been rendered null and void by statewide pre-emption law."

As a general rule, any place that fibs to me before I set foot inside, doesn't get my patronage. Might, however, go inside long enough to use the bathrooms or get a drink of water ...

langzaiguy

imported post

If the city owns the convention center, the fiscal court can ban CC. I have no idea who owns it so it may or may not be a lie.

GarandFan

imported post

Regarding the subject of this thread:

An inquiry has been to the office of the Bowling Green mayor simply to determine if she had formally requested or accepted membership in the group.

There is increasing evidence that the MAIG group lists as members even those mayors who simply attended an MAIG event ... presumably as a way to boost the group's membership roster.

Rachel Parsons, who works at the NRA headquarters in Fairfax, Va., said several other mayors across the country also have told her organization that they attended an MAIG event and were put on the membership roster although they never signed up to join.

Regarding the posting of "no carry" signs:

We know that licensed non-LEO civilians may engage in licensed concealed carry except in the following places (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/110.PDF):

(a) Any police station or sheriff's office;
(b) Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
(c) Any courthouse, solely occupied by the Court of Justice courtroom, or court proceeding;
(d) Any meeting of the governing body of a county, municipality, or special district; or any meeting of the General Assembly or a committee of the General Assembly (unless one is a member)
(e) Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;
(f) Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of school authorities as provided in KRS 527.070, any child-caring facility as defined in KRS 199.011, any day-care center as defined in KRS 199.894, or any certified family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, except however, any owner of a certified child-care home may carry a concealed firearm into the owner's residence used as a certified child-care home;
(g) An area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property; or
(h) Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

Furthermore ... regarding the private prohibition of carry. The sign supposedly posted at the BG convention center clearly is unenforceable and may be placed unlawfully (if it states an untruth regarding city ordiances). The Convention Center must be notified that they are in violation of state law, and if there is such a city ordinance, the city must be contacted and notified that they are in violation of state preemption law. If some one were to do this, they should go photograph the sign, photograph the door/entryway, and time-date stamp both photos.

The convention center can, however, post that weapons are prohibited persuant to KRS 237.110. But that regards businesses that prohibit carry ... if one is of the spirit that private property rights trump second amendment rights, then honor the business owner and don't carry there. Otherwise, doing so is not a criminal act (and this is explicitly stated in state law) ... such an owner can only ask you to leave (and only will do so if they notice you carrying ... which if you are concealed, is not an issue). If you THEN refuse to leave the premises ... that is when it becomes a criminal act.

langzaiguy

imported post

According to KRS 237.115, the city can ban CC in public buildings. There are no provisions to limit OC. It takes an act by the legislative body of the particular government in order to enact a CC ban.

If the BG convention center is indeed a public building, BG can vote to ban CC. And of course, as you stated, if it's a private entity, they may reguate carry on their premises as desired.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
According to KRS 237.115, the city can ban CC in public buildings. There are no provisions to limit OC.
Yep. The question becomes whether the convention center is owned by the city or not. If it's privately owned, they can ban firearms if they like, but they shouldn't lie and say the city ordinance required them to have that policy. By referencing a city ordinance and only banning concealed carry, it seems likely that the convention center is owned by the city, and they can legally ban concealed carry in the building, but the fines are very low, by state law. The city cannot ban open carry.

I think we should all start open carrying in city buildings where that's legal. They didn't want people carrying concealed so they put up the signs that are very difficult to enforce (concealed means concealed), so I assume they're REALLY not going to like people open carrying when there is nothing they can do about it. It might be a good way to convince them to take down their signs banning concealed carry. Knowing that a few people are carrying concealed and they don't know who it might be probably bothers them some, but having a lot of people open carrying is going to cause them a lot more consternation. I'm going to try this tactic Monday evening in Lexington, open carrying where the city recently put up a sign banning concealed carry. I'll start a new thread to let you guys know how it went.

The area around Bowling Green is very pro-gun. No doubt the anti-gun sentiments are stronger in town, but I'd still be a bit surprised that there would be political cover for the mayor of Bowling Green to be publicly anti-gun.

jaegan

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote
I think we should all start open carrying in city buildings where that's legal. They didn't want people carrying concealed so they put up the signs that are very difficult to enforce (concealed means concealed), so I assume they're REALLY not going to like people open carrying when there is nothing they can do about it. It might be a good way to convince them to take down their signs banning concealed carry. Knowing that a few people are carrying concealed and they don't know who it might be probably bothers them some, but having a lot of people open carrying is going to cause them a lot more consternation. I'm going to try this tactic Monday evening in Lexington, open carrying where the city recently put up a sign banning concealed carry. I'll start a new thread to let you guys know how it went.
I'm for this on so many levels. :) Some city governments lately don't seem to understand that they can't ban open carry, and that banning concealed carry is of dubious use (if any, personally I don't think it's at all useful). Looking forward to hearing how it goes L4E, and as soon as I'm finding a different place of employment, I may be doing likewise.