• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: Obama official says Second Amendment applies to states

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Please SUBSCRIBE to this column, and DIGG & REDITT:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m9d15-Obama-official-says-Second-Amendment-applies-to-states

SNIP

Recently confirmed by the Senate, academic Cass Sunstein from Harvard law School is now the Obama Administration's "regulatory czar." Gun Owners of America has warned: Expect problems!. . .

[But] in 2007 Professor Sunstein gave a fascinating lecture in which . . . [n]ot only does Sunstein note at time hack 37:20 that gun control advocates' claims that gun control contributes fantastically to public safety "appears not to be sufficiently supported in social science," but more importantly, at the end of his lecture,he states at time hack 57:47:

"And here's a point for the Second Amendment advocates, a concession for them, something on which I think they are correct. If the Second Amendment does create an individual right, rather than a collective right or a civic right, then incorporationdoes follow."

opencarrybilly

imported post

I hope it is fitting to repeat this here:
The White House, hoping to allay fears of a security threat, has said that people are entitled to carry weapons outside such events if local laws allow it. "There are laws that govern firearms that are done state or locally," spokesman Robert Gibbs said. "Those laws don't change when the president comes to your state or locality." ~ NBC News Washington
If not, please let me know, and I will delete it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

It takes an academic 'Geen-yus' to tell us low life peons what we've known since Christ was a cowboy?

Uh... yeah gibbs... the state laws remain in effect even when the Messiahis a'messiah'n'

opencarrybilly

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
It takes an academic 'Geen-yus' to tell us low life peons what we've known since Christ was a cowboy?

Uh... yeah gibbs... the state laws remain in effect even when the Messiahis a'messiah'n'
Yes. But, isn't is good news to hear it affirmed by the guys from whom we would never wouldhave expected to have affirmedit? I don't know whether to be more hopeful or more confused.:?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

opencarrybilly wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Yes. But, isn't is good news to hear it affirmed by the guys from whom we would never wouldhave expected to have affirmedit? I don't know whether to be more hopeful or more confused.:?
Be very vigilant. These people have a notorious record for lying through their teeth. It could all be just a rouge to get us to let our guard down.

opencarrybilly

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
opencarrybilly wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Be very vigilant. These people have a notorious record for lying through their teeth. It could all be just a rouge to get us to let our guard down.
Agreed. That's why I remain confused. :? But, what better have we seen in the past XXX years? The first election for which I was qualified (at age 21) to vote was 1960. Never yet seen anything like this. I see potential, if not hope. Indeed, I see hope. Obama, in spite of all we hear, is, I am told, a Constitutional law scholar. And, many times in history we have seen people, after been elected to high office, surprise us with actions much differentfrom whatwe might have expected from their past performance. Might we hope?

rodbender

imported post

SNIP: But Sunstein's pronouncement that if the Second Amendment provides an individual rightagainst federal power (which we now know it does under Heller),

Mike, I think the above statement in red should read: "which has now been affirmed under Heller". I knew it was an individual right from reading the framers when I was about 13-14 years old.

Thundar

imported post

McX wrote:
and how many heavily armed security personnel does the President have protecting him when he travels? How many sharpshooter, snipers? Probably armored vehicles around as well. All the Open Carrier gets is one lone weapon, visible on his hip, for his personal protection.
My rifle doesn't fit on my hip.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Here is the latest tack by the antis, given to me by some college student (And I bet this was that idiot Professor Banzhaff or whatever his name is up in GWU School of Law): The Second Amendment DOES confer an INDIVIDUAL right,

However.

The INDIVIDUAL RIGHT CONFERRED is the "right to serve in the military"; therefore the Second Amendment makes "don't ask/don't tell unconstitutional.:shock:

I wish I could tell you guys I was kidding, but boy these snakes really know how to twist things, now don't they??

KBCraig

imported post

Mike wrote:
"And here's a point for the Second Amendment advocates, a concession for them, something on which I think they are correct. If the Second Amendment does create an individual right, rather than a collective right or a civic right, then incorporationdoes follow."

That's a mighty big "if", coming from Sunstein.

darthmord

imported post

Thing is... some of the articles I've read about him along with some interviews, while yes he does come off as a certifiable whackjob, he's all over the place in terms of theories and commentary.

Taken by themselves, they *ARE* often logically consistent and thorough.

Based on what I've read from other posters here, I was suprised to find that he has written several things that are PRO 2-A (one of which was posted earlier on).

I'm not certain where to sit politically with him. That could very well be his intentions too. Keeps his detractors / opponents off-balance.

Given the arguments of his I've read so far are rather well thought out and consistent in their logic, I have to respect him for that.

I guess time will tell whether he's truly one of us, one of them, or one who simply doesn't care.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Anybody who says that YOUR DOG should be able to hire a lawyer and SUE YOU is COMPLETELY OUT OF HIS MIND.

That's the bottom line. Further, I don't care of Obozo himself joins GOA, and open carries himself. Everything else about this regime is unimpressive at best. None of the things he's tried to do are inline with my views. What good are gun rights when you have to sell all your guns because your president has crushed the free market and you still don't have a job.