Thread: Handshake while carrying?

Post imported post

Do you, or would you shake someone's hand while carrying a sidearm?

I personally see it as bad practice to do so if the other person doesn't have your full trust. Why? It's kind of a stretch, but it could leave you in a very bad place if the person on the other end has ill intentions. After all, many historians believe that the handshake originated as a way of warriors demonstrating that they hold no weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_shake

What are your thoughts? Would you politely say that you think it is in bad practice to shake hands with someone (that you vaguely know) while armed, or would you think it's rude to leave them hanging?

Post imported post

There's a 3 page thread in the Open Carry Questions forum, here's a link, enjoy!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/25707.html

Post imported post

not a problem, I am right handed, but carry left handed. So I can shake hands and still draw if needed.

Post imported post

Dragonflydf wrote:
    not a problem, I am right handed, but carry left handed. So I can shake hands and still draw if needed.
    It is a good argument in favor of crossdraw. Add to that, 'sneak up behind' retention... I may just have to go crossdraw...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

I always carry a P3AT in my front left pocket. When I shake hands with someone I don't know well, my hand is on a gun.

Post imported post

I know quite a few LEOs who won't shake hands, not out of disrespect, but because they want to keep distance and keep their strong hand free for firearm access with people they don't know.

I've met a few cops while on duty and they shook hands. Guess it's a sign they don't see you as a threat and are trusting of you. Yes I was OCing at the time too.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    I know quite a few LEOs who won't shake hands, not out of disrespect, but because they want to keep distance and keep their strong hand free for firearm access with people they don't know.

I've met a few cops while on duty and they shook hands. Guess it's a sign they don't see you as a threat and are trusting of you. Yes I was OCing at the time too.
    Yeah, I noticed that most police officers like to keep a pretty safe distance too. One time I did get a trusting officer to show me his taser and tell me how it worked. He wouldn't let me hold it, though. He did, however, jokingly ask me if I wanted to test out the other end of it.

Post imported post

Dragonflydf wrote:
    I'm a southpaw,but shake right handed, so the same applies here, it's tuff to say which hand is my Dominant, I'm a southpaw living in a right handed world..

Post imported post

Carnivore wrote:
    Dragonflydf wrote:
    I'm a southpaw,but shake right handed, so the same applies here, it's tuff to say which hand is my Dominant, I'm a southpaw living in a right handed world..
    Lefty here as well. I don't think I'd care much for shaking with my drawing side. I'm sure I'd still shake hands in most situations but cautiously. Would it be rude to reach over with your left just to set it on your piece while you shake with your right? Might be awkward as well, but hey
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Post imported post

I only shake hands with people I know.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

NightOwl wrote:
    There's a 3 page thread in the Open Carry Questions forum, here's a link, enjoy!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/25707.html
    It is truly amazing how tactiful the human minds in a subset of the population such as ours can, uhm, be. :shock:

OTOH, there was theDion O’Banion case....Chicago...1924...

O’Banion met his end while preparing a floral arrangement in his shop on November 10, 1924. O’Banion was a consummate hand shaker and on that day three known gangsters came in the shop. Thinking they were there to pick up flowers for the funeral of another prominent gangster he went to shake their hands. One of them pulled O’Banion off balance and six shots rang out. While there was a great deal of speculation concerning the triggermen, no one ever went to trial over the murder. It did leave O’Banion’s territory wide open for Capone...

http://www.essortment.com/all/alcapone_rnrz.htm

Post imported post

For those of us who frequently shake the hands of gang members, we must also be careful on how we shake hands. :?

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ke-murder.html

Two guilty in handshake murder

Two Aurora men face minimum 20 year sentences for participating in the fight that led to the death of a 21-year-old Aurora man who used a handshake other gang members felt he didn't have the rights to.

Ruben Hernandez, 25, and Max Aguilar, 18, were both convicted Friday of murder for their roles in the 2005 murder of Jorge Caro, according to a report in the Aurora Beacon News.

"This verdict shows that even those gang members killed by fellow gang members will receive justice, and that those who attempt to silence the truth will be brought to justice," Kane County State's Attorney John Barsanti said.