• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A walk out withe the wife uoc

coolusername2007

imported post

My wife was cool with it, for the most part, at first. She first thought I was going to get arrested and thought it was kind of crazy, you know emotional response first. Then she came around, she knows I don't do anything without doing my homework first. Again I took about 2 months preparing, learning, reading, pysch'ing myself up, etc. She went with me to the BPS shop meetup...and I didn't even have to beg her, I was kind of surprised actually. Now I come home and tell her where I UOC'ed and she just smiles and curiously asks me how it went. All in all she's been really supportive, and she's not into gunsat all.

SDPISTOLGRIP

imported post

Ok, so our walk consisted the usual 6 block circle. We started out and it was pretty much already dark so visibility is scarce since San Diego does not believe in street lights. At any rate we had one car that slowed down to a crawl to see if they were in fact seeing what they thought they were seeing. I made eye contact and they quickly resumed their pace. about half way into our walk we encountered a few small children playing on the sidewalk. Rather then test their comfort we crossed the street and continued our walk. We arrived back at the house where I removed my weapon and dropped the magazine and checked for a clear chamber as the rule is before anyone enters house including us. ( we dont mind having a loaded weapon in the house. This rule was made as a double saftey that way you always know the status of your weapon i.e. hot or cold.) Uneventful. The way we like it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
My wife was cool with it, for the most part, at first. She first thought I was going to get arrested and thought it was kind of crazy, you know emotional response first. Then she came around, she knows I don't do anything without doing my homework first. Again I took about 2 months preparing, learning, reading, pysch'ing myself up, etc. She went with me to the BPS shop meetup...and I didn't even have to beg her, I was kind of surprised actually. Now I come home and tell her where I UOC'ed and she just smiles and curiously asks me how it went. All in all she's been really supportive, and she's not into gunsat all.
Definitely a good way to get her buy-in. Very good work approach on your part...

dirtykoala wrote:
... 20 mins into shopping there my dad said "i just realized you have a gun on your hip" this was the first my wife knew of it as well. she calmly said "this is the first ive noticed too". i was pretty happy that she was so cool with it, i replied "really? ...
It still amazes me that many (most?) people fail to notice an OC'd gun--even up close. Has something to do with perception biases...

Decoligny

imported post

SDPISTOLGRIP wrote:
Ok, so our walk consisted the usual 6 block circle. We started out and it was pretty much already dark so visibility is scarce since San Diego does not believe in street lights. At any rate we had one car that slowed down to a crawl to see if they were in fact seeing what they thought they were seeing. I made eye contact and they quickly resumed their pace. about half way into our walk we encountered a few small children playing on the sidewalk. Rather then test their comfort we crossed the street and continued our walk. We arrived back at the house where I removed my weapon and dropped the magazine and checked for a clear chamber as the rule is before anyone enters house including us. ( we dont mind having a loaded weapon in the house. This rule was made as a double saftey that way you always know the status of your weapon i.e. hot or cold.) Uneventful. The way we like it.

Congrats on the uneventful.

If I check my weapon upon entering the house it is only to ensure that there is one in the chamber and a full mag. There have been many instances of people entering their house after being out for a while, only to meet up with the burglar who broke in while they were out. An unloaded gun does you no good in that situation.

If I lived in an incorporated area where I couldn't LOC on my walks I would be loading my firearm the moment the door opened.

SDPISTOLGRIP

imported post

We call it a "Status Safety Check" once we enter the house in normal situation, and then obviously if it is clear then it becomes "Hot" and ready for bed.

shadylane

imported post

Bad_ace's wife here.......I admit I was a bit nervous at first about him UOCing but once he educated me on it, I felt a lot better. I go out with him around our town while he's UOCing and I've been with him to a couple of meet-ups, one with a LEO encounter.

I would encourage all of you to educate your significant others and get them on board. If you have their support, it makes the whole experience better. Plus, IMO, I think it appears less threatening to others who see you UOCing if you're holding your wife's hand while doing so :)

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

shadylane wrote:
[SNIP]Plus, IMO, I think it appears less threatening to others who see you UOCing if you're holding your wife's hand while doing so :)

Welcome!

A fewquestions:

1. Should I hold her hand on my strong side or weak side?

2. If my wife was UOCing and I wasn't, would she appear less threatening if she was holding my hand?

3. What should we do if we are both UOCing? (Right now, that'swishful thinking.):)

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
shadylane wrote:
[SNIP]Plus, IMO, I think it appears less threatening to others who see you UOCing if you're holding your wife's hand while doing so :)

Welcome!

A fewquestions:

2. If my wife was UOCing and I wasn't, would she appear less threatening if she was holding my hand?

3. What should we do if we are both UOCing? (Right now, that'swishful thinking.):)
1. Whatever side is furthest away from potential danger, preferably that would be weak so your strong hand isn't clammy and/or numb. Also weak would allow her to spin behind you and go back to back easier.
2. Probably more threatening. :lol:
3. Mirror image? Only if one of you is a southpaw or ambidextrous...

shadylane

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:

3. What should we do if we are both UOCing? (Right now, that's wishful thinking.) :)

For #1 I guess do what feels most comfortable, and for #2 and #3 hold hands if you feel comfortable, too.

I just really think it's important to do everyday things like holding hands so that it shows a.) you're being totally normal, which makes having the gun seem more normal and b.) if your wife is holding your hand, she doesn't mind the gun at all. Just suggestions on how to desensitize people.

Also, thanks for the welcomes! And I am not a lurker :p

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
... A fewquestions:

1. whichever side she won't be in the way of flying brass if the SHTF. (My wife once made the mistake of standing to my right while wearing a low-cut top at the range. My wife can vouch that catching hot brass in your cleavage is not fun.)

2. less, i'd think.

3. Plan ahead. Discuss and act out scenarios, train to be aware of friendly fire, etc.

(I saw a video once of a bunch of cops trying to arrest a guy in a car. They had several officers on both sides of the car, and when the guy tried to drive away, they all started shooting - apparently they thought he was trying to run an officer down. Three of the officers were wounded by friendly fire. Their suspect was arrested a short distance away without any injuries to him. Great example of BAD approach and lack of situational awareness.)

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SDPISTOLGRIP wrote:
Ok so thewife and I are headed for our nightly stroll. I am going UOC. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Well done, and the same to ShadyLane.
My wife comes along occasionally, usually when the errands involve her. We hold hands on my strong side. We attract very little attention this way.
Once, walking in our neighborhood, a couple of young women approached us from behind and, as they passed us, one asked if I was a police officer. I denied the accusation, and informed her that law-abiding citizens are permitted this liberty. Her response was: "well that's scary."
In retrospect, as always, I wish I had said "I'm glad my liberties are not based upon your level of comfort".

Carry on.

SDPISTOLGRIP

imported post

We have been doing our walks nightly, and had no incidents thus far. Now we have had one lady that jumped on her phone right away when we caught up to her when she was walking and her walk turned into more of a power walk, but I paid it no attention as I was doing nothing illegal. I imagine the cal was coincidence. Who knows. My neighbors are also very supportive, and as some know I had to deal with an intruder earlier this year and my neighbors are very supportive of my firearms.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
SDPISTOLGRIP wrote:
Ok so thewife and I are headed for our nightly stroll. I am going UOC. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Well done, and the same to ShadyLane.
My wife comes along occasionally, usually when the errands involve her. We hold hands on my strong side. We attract very little attention this way.
Once, walking in our neighborhood, a couple of young women approached us from behind and, as they passed us, one asked if I was a police officer. I denied the accusation, and informed her that law-abiding citizens are permitted this liberty. Her response was: "well that's scary."
In retrospect, as always, I wish I had said "I'm glad my liberties are not based upon your level of comfort".

Carry on.
Hm, didn't think about hand holding that way. Makes sense.

"Yep, it's scary for criminals."